PDA

View Full Version : Whole pig/hog catering pricing

va_connoisseur
04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
I am planning to do some small catering this year during the summer and football season. I am putting together my pricing model using the calculator put together by SoEzzy (that thing is a God send) and I have some nagging questions.

1. When doing whole hog pricing, do you all use a standard labor fee?

(My strategy is to have the pricing based on cost per pound + labor = cost of pig. For instance, the 70lb pig @ $1.99 per pound plus $300 for labor/setup equals $5.50 per pound as the price quote for the client.)

2. Does your whole hog pricing include just the hog or sides as well?

(The above price does not include sides but onsite smoking and display. More of a pig picking price.)

nicerackbbqteam
04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Thats a good question, i would think cost X 3 would give your retail price.

GIGGLY PIG BBQ TEAM
04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
with bbq sauce and a 70lb hog would be $720 total with tax for us to do - with current hog prices being so high.

at 18-20 hours of your time invested, the labor is light @ 15-16 dollars per hour, but all depends on the market in your area and what you are willing to get out of bed for.

va_connoisseur
04-30-2014, 03:18 PM
with bbq sauce and a 70lb hog would be $720 total with tax for us to do - with current hog prices being so high.

at 18-20 hours of your time invested, the labor is light @ 15-16 dollars per hour, but all depends on the market in your area and what you are willing to get out of bed for.

Good point. I'm looking at some of the local shops and there is some room for me to move up the price.

Chuckwagonbbqco
04-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Pricing whole hog by the pound has a problem:

The smaller the hog---the higher the price

Pig farmers expect to make "X" amount of dollars on each pig----pigs sell by the pound---so if a farmer keeps a small pig to grow and sell the pig when it is bigger----he makes more money----so a 60 pound pig costs more per pound than a 130 pound pig.

With the highly volatile pricing of pork today----I would NOT set up a menu with pricing--it will change in a week. We simply say--"Whole Hog Available--please contact us for pricing"

HBMTN
04-30-2014, 05:36 PM
I price it by the person and then order the appropriate size hog. Doing whole hog is way more work and way more cost than doing butts. Therefore I charge way more, like in the $18 range w/2 sides per person. Check your price on a 70lb pig, I usually do over 100lb hogs and they run $2.25lb but I priced a 50lb'r one time and it was twice as much per pound as a 100lbs or more hog. We get $10.50pp for pulled pork w/2 sides if they don't want to pay for the higher price I steer them this way.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
04-30-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm usually in the $10 per person range for just the hog but I haven't checked on market prices in a few months. 70 person minimum and it's an extra charge if they want us to setup a carving station for the pig.

va_connoisseur
05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
I price it by the person and then order the appropriate size hog. Doing whole hog is way more work and way more cost than doing butts. Therefore I charge way more, like in the $18 range w/2 sides per person. Check your price on a 70lb pig, I usually do over 100lb hogs and they run $2.25lb but I priced a 50lb'r one time and it was twice as much per pound as a 100lbs or more hog. We get $10.50pp for pulled pork w/2 sides if they don't want to pay for the higher price I steer them this way.

OK. Thanks. I'm in going to check the cost of pigs here in Northern VA. BK Millers still has $1.99 for 125+ but those are frozen.

va_connoisseur
05-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Pricing whole hog by the pound has a problem:

With the highly volatile pricing of pork today----I would NOT set up a menu with pricing--it will change in a week. We simply say--"Whole Hog Available--please contact us for pricing"

Good point.l

jeffreywp1
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
I am planning to do some small catering this year during the summer and football season. I am putting together my pricing model using the calculator put together by SoEzzy (that thing is a God send) and I have some nagging questions.

1. When doing whole hog pricing, do you all use a standard labor fee?

(My strategy is to have the pricing based on cost per pound + labor = cost of pig. For instance, the 70lb pig @ $1.99 per pound plus $300 for labor/setup equals $5.50 per pound as the price quote for the client.)

2. Does your whole hog pricing include just the hog or sides as well?

(The above price does not include sides but onsite smoking and display. More of a pig picking price.)
Is there a link to the price calculator by SoEzzy?

jeffreywp1
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
I just has someone ask me to cook a whole hog with them supplying the hog. I have never done this before but told him I would do it for $250. I think I could charge more but I am just getting started. Besides, I will get to set around, drink beer and eat pork! Is $250 a good price?

Chuckwagonbbqco
05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
jeffreywp1

Years ago I wanted to start catering. Someone called and wanted me to cook their whole pig, so I quoted them a cheap price. I showed up to prep the pig and they had killed an old boar that had been eating garbage. The meat smelled rank and I told them that I didn't want to cook it----but they had paid me in advance and insisted that I cook their pig. The told me that a "real" pitmaster could save the meat by proper cooking. The bad day kept getting worse.

DO NOT cook a pig unless you have supplied the pig or you positively know where the pig came from, what it was fed, how it was processed, and how it was transported and stored. Just trust my judgement----I have catered for over 25 years and I have learned too many things the "hard" way. Be smarter than I was. If folks wanna save money by supplying their own hog----they need to save more money and cook it themselves.

When things turn out good----you are a hero. When things go bad----you are an idiot. Do not let other people trying to save money influence you to be anything but a first rate pitmaster with first rate products.

jeffreywp1
05-04-2014, 06:11 PM
jeffreywp1

Years ago I wanted to start catering. Someone called and wanted me to cook their whole pig, so I quoted them a cheap price. I showed up to prep the pig and they had killed an old boar that had been eating garbage. The meat smelled rank and I told them that I didn't want to cook it----but they had paid me in advance and insisted that I cook their pig. The told me that a "real" pitmaster could save the meat by proper cooking. The bad day kept getting worse.

DO NOT cook a pig unless you have supplied the pig or you positively know where the pig came from, what it was fed, how it was processed, and how it was transported and stored. Just trust my judgement----I have catered for over 25 years and I have learned too many things the "hard" way. Be smarter than I was. If folks wanna save money by supplying their own hog----they need to save more money and cook it themselves.

When things turn out good----you are a hero. When things go bad----you are an idiot. Do not let other people trying to save money influence you to be anything but a first rate pitmaster with first rate products.
Thanks for the advise. I don't think the guy is trying to be cheap. He was at a benefit I cooked for and liked the food. But I will still have to make sure he is getting a quality hog. How bad did your garbage hog turn out. It had to have been hard to have to Love sucked out of cooking just before a long cook.

Chuckwagonbbqco
05-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Garbage hog was not edible----however with all of the Old Milwaukee that they drank----they thought it was edible LOL

Good luck with your whole hog cook

jeffreywp1
05-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Garbage hog was not edible----however with all of the Old Milwaukee that they drank----they thought it was edible LOL

Good luck with your whole hog cook

Any time we have cooked any pork product that has that musky smell, we called it Bohog, and assumed it was a boar that hadn't been castrated. You can smell it when it hits the pan. Did that hog smell like that?

va_connoisseur
05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Is there a link to the price calculator by SoEzzy?

I'll PM you the link when I get home.

On the hog you are planning on doing, here are a few questions I would ask off the bat:

what is the weight of it?
are you going to have time to prep it? (season? inject?)

These things all factor in. All the pigs/hogs I have done before have required a fair amount of prep time before going on the smoke.

If it's a 70 lb pig and they do not want any special seasoning, just oil the skin and go, than $250 "may" be ok of a price but that is pushing the lower limit.

If it's a 150 beast that they want trimmed, rubbed and injected then dressed for presentation, you are selling yourself way short.

DanReSQman
05-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Jeff we charge 500$ plus cost of pig. So if they have their own hog they want to take to my butcher its just $500. but we often work with fire department and groups that get a hog donated...

early mornin' smokin'
05-08-2014, 04:27 PM
we don't have prices on our handout paper menus due to fluctuating meat prices. Neither does our catering menu. I just did a 30lb hog over the weekend. Cost $5.89/lb!!!! And i buy 1000lbs of meat a week. I do as stated, take my raw cost, and triple it. So that puts me at $530 for just the pig, picked up, not smoked onsite. I lucked out, she was little cooked her up in just over 6 hours, so not a lot of fuss. And it was for a good friend, and his mom was buying it for his 40th bday, so she got a discount and walked out paying $400. Even they agreed, it was a phenomenal price.

I talk most people out of a pig roast, quickly. I can make more money off a mixed meat bbq spread any day. They get more value and choices out of their dollars spent. It's less of a hassle. Almost always more consistent. And people aren't left with 3/4's of an unpicked pig.

Taylorspruill2014
05-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Hi everyone!:-D

va_connoisseur
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I just did a 30lb hog over the weekend. Cost $5.89/lb!!!! .

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING! That is highway robbery. Here in Northern VA, they run $3.89 per pound for a 30 pounder.