PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seattle!

Gnarlbecue
04-30-2014, 04:23 AM
So, after 6 years of grilling on a 14.5" Smokey Joe (With great results, all things considered) I finally took the plunge and bought a 22.5" OTG!:-D

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, getting lots of ideas from you guys so first off I want to thank everyone here for the expertise and the great ideas.

After setting up my new kettle I decided to load it full of coals and a big ol' hunk of Apple wood and just let her cook for a while to get rid of that "new grill smell". The next day I decided to do a rack of spares because I was previously limited to baby backs due to the small size of my old SJS.

Trimmed em up St Louis style, gave 'em my custom rub of S&P, garlic powder, cumin, a couple types of chili powder, and a bit of Kickin' Chicken then smoked em up with Apple and Hickory for a couple hours. Foiled em with a little apple juice for about an hour and a half, then crisped them for about a half hour and sauced 'em with my homemade apple juice reduction with molasses and more rub, cheated by adding a little bit of Rufus Teague Blazin Hot and Trader Joes "KC style" and they turned out Great! Some of the best ribs I've ever had, anywhere!

Total cook time was about 4.5 - 5 hours because I cooked at about 300F or so. Not a true low and slow but I'll get there! Next time I will leave them in the foil a bit longer.

Since then I have done steaks and chops "cowboy style" or BBQ Pit Boys style as I call it. Burgers, brats and I have Spatchcocked my first chicken and tomorrow I will do a bunch of chicken thighs and or leg quarters (my favorite!).

If I had more time I would grill all day, everyday just for the sheer joy of it!

I'll post pron eventually, when I figure out how. Still not clear on the rules for us newbs.

Not many people I know up here in Seattle have the passion for smoked meat that I have, so I will be returning here often for more advice and new ideas.

Thanks again for a great website, and keep the Pron coming in! You guys inspire me!

MikeR
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
You're going to love the way you cook, I guarantee it!
Welcome to the Brethren!:thumb:

dman1047
04-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Welcome, just joined myself. Lots of great info here.

Smoke Dawg
04-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Welcome Gnarl!

peeps
04-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the Brethren!

ak56
04-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome from just a little east of you. This is THE place to learn BBQ. You're gonna like it here.

cowgirl
04-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the Brethren!

Bob S
04-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the Brethren!

BBQ_MAFIA
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Welcome!