PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the memories.

Smoker
06-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I just want to say thanks to Phil and his wife Sharon for the great hospitality these past few days. I enjoyed cooking, eating and meeting everyone. The rain did not dampen the fun at all. Truly a great group of guys.

Smoker

BrooklynQ
06-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Amen to that Smoker. I can't believe that Sharon puts up with this motley crew each year. Phil, Sharon, Jakie and James are always great hosts.

And the company wasn't bad either. It was great to meet so many brethren!

djmarko
06-25-2006, 03:31 PM
I absolutely agree. Thanks to Phil & his gracious family for giving up their home for 3 days so that we could have this get together. It was a memorable event. It's amazing how a group of guys who met on the internet can meet like this almost as if we had known each for years. I'm already looking forward to next year.

MilitantSquatter
06-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Agreed... A great weekend.....with great selfless hosts.

While the NY group has already become like old time family for me.... a special thanks to the out of town Brethren who trek hundreds or thousands of miles to be here. Putting faces to names, online personas to actual personas for the out of towners was perfect. Everyone was just being themselves as they are each day online and I would not have expected any less.

FatDad
06-25-2006, 06:22 PM
A REAL BIG THANKS to Phil and Sharon.

I just got home a little while ago and and my wife ask what I wanted for dinner.
:confused: :confused: :eek:
Chinese !!!

This was amazing for me and like y'all said....
I feel like I have known you for many years and to put a face with you guys was nice.

PS....I am suffering from ABT syndrome.
AWWW double ply charmin.........and I am sitting an a pillow.

THANKS AGAIN..........

djmarko
06-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Fatdad, glad you got home OK. I think the ABT that did you in was the special one Phil made for you.

FatDad
06-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Fatdad, glad you got home OK. I think the ABT that did you in was the special one Phil made for you.

Thanks buddy...It was real nice to meet and talk with you.

I know it was Phils special ABT that got me.
That added fire to the garlic exlax (Bagna Cauda):lol:

Sledneck
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I had a great time the 15 minutes i was there! Cant wait till next year, i will try to stay 30 min! All kiddin aside im glad you guys had fun.

racer_81
06-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks to Poohbah and Poohbah-ette, I had a good time just watching and listening over the web!

BBQchef33
06-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Racer, thanks for the crazy ass grab bag.. We tried to hook a Beano I.V bag up to fatdad, but he kept farting and drifting around the yard.

jrick33
06-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Phil, thanks for the great hospitality, it was great to put a face with alot of the names that post here. How's bourbon feeling??
Also Fatdad swore to me he didn't fart once.....he said the dogs did it all.....

tommykendall
06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
There aren't too many people in this world who can match the hospitality provided by the Rizzardi's for the Bash. But it doesn't stop there - they are like that all the time and are truly magnificent hosts. (is that good enough for the $50 Phil? :mrgreen:)

BTW - my flights went perfectly all the way home. No one sat next to me on either leg (no need to go there) and had an exit row window to crash on for both legs. Had a huge Italian Beef sandwich and a loaded dog at Chicago Midway while waiting for my flight to LAX.

CharlieBeasley
06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Phil A maestro at being a host. You your Wife both kids and especially both dogs were great to meet a group like this and to learn new ideas from smokers across the US was great. Thank you for the opportunity to meet so many great people and to eat, drink, and learn what a special weekend. Thanks and please pass this thanks to Sharon, Jackie, and James. Phil you are a special person.

Jorge
06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Without question the Rizzardi's are the most generous hosts I've ever met. I can't thank them enough for that generosity. Phil and Sharon, have the patience of saints! James is a great kid, and he does take after his Dad. Jackie expanded my vocabulary and clearly takes after her Mom in being polite, friendly and funny. Bourbon and Buster, didn't eat the guests and that is saying something!

The NY guys were fantastic. Vinny, Smoker, jrick, djmarko, Sledneck, BQ, and I'm sure many others that are escaping my foggy brain right now ended the myth of the rude New Yorker for me. No question at all that they can cook some great Q. Vinny and Smoker turned out some great stuff!

cabo
06-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I got home on schedule yesterday. No flight problems, although the Philly Airport, every time I’m there, reminds me of the movie Airport, with all the gate changes. There must have been at least a dozen, in the short time I was there, none of them involving my flight. Just kinda funny to watch.

As to class, hospitality, and patience with a bunch of drunk up farkers, there’s none better than the Rizzardi’s. No matter what the guy at the liquor store said….. A new “Bash Bite” classification, “Off Site Bash Bite”. I’ll let Parrothead handle that one.:wink:
I hope Bourbon is feeling better, after the “culture shock” he had to endure.

Oh, last but not least, TK I’ll give you credit for this one, at least until I find out different. I think we’ve found a new use for that canned gelatinous material, that some folks call “meat” found in your grocery store. Airport security must have thought it was combustible (C-4), but when they noticed it was the “Lite” brand, they put it and everything else back.
I’ll zip and email the pics I took to Phil, as soon as.. I… find… my camera…. Hmmmm!!!:shock:

I had an absolutely GREAT TIME, and it was great to see old friends and meet more Brethren!!!

Sledneck
06-26-2006, 11:24 AM
The NY guys were fantastic. Vinny, Smoker, jrick, djmarko, Sledneck, BQ, and I'm sure many others that are escaping my foggy brain right now ended the myth of the rude New Yorker for me.!

If i was able to talk you would seen how rude and obnoxious i actually am. :biggrin: :biggrin:

parrothead
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=cabo]

As to class, hospitality, and patience with a bunch of drunk up farkers, there’s none better than the Rizzardi’s. No matter what the guy at the liquor store said….. A new “Bash Bite” classification, “Off Site Bash Bite”. I’ll let Parrothead handle that one.:wink: [QUOTE]

We were at the liqour store buying a couple of cases of liqour. The guy at the counter asks us what we are up to. We proudly tell the tale of a bunch of BBQ guys getting together from all over the country. He replies,"You aren't with that nut down the street with the seven grills in his back yard are you"?

Yep. That's the guy.

Didn't bother explaining that they weren't grills.

Jorge
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=cabo]

As to class, hospitality, and patience with a bunch of drunk up farkers, there’s none better than the Rizzardi’s. No matter what the guy at the liquor store said….. A new “Bash Bite” classification, “Off Site Bash Bite”. I’ll let Parrothead handle that one.:wink: [QUOTE]

We were at the liqour store buying a couple of cases of liqour. The guy at the counter asks us what we are up to. We proudly tell the tale of a bunch of BBQ guys getting together from all over the country. He replies,"You aren't with that nut down the street with the seven grills in his back yard are you"?

Yep. That's the guy.

Didn't bother explaining that they weren't grills.

It's possible that the signs on every tree, telephone pole, and traffic sign in the area had something to do with it.....but that's a story for the mastermind behind it to tell. THAT was funny!

tommykendall
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh, last but not least, TK I’ll give you credit for this one, at least until I find out different. I think we’ve found a new use for that canned gelatinous material, that some folks call “meat” found in your grocery store. Airport security must have thought it was combustible (C-4), but when they noticed it was the “Lite” brand, they put it and everything else back

I'll take the credit. :cool:

cabo
06-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I'll take the credit. :cool:

Canned gelatinous material, must be the “Lite” version, dipped in Bagna Cauda. MMmmm, you just don’t know what you are missing..:biggrin:

pqbbq
06-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Racer, thanks for the crazy ass grab bag.. We tried to hook a Beano I.V bag up to fatdad, but he kept farting and drifting around the yard.

That ain't the only place he was farting! HE was farting in the trailer, the recliner he slept in, and I am sure he was farting in the shower when he took that ONE he took!

We talked about taking his CPAP machine hose and hooking up to his behind and creating something very new!

chad
06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I've got to add my thanks and kudos, too. Great weekend despite the weather. It was great to put names to faces.

I'm with Cabo about Phillie - US Airways lulled me into a sense of safety when I had a perfect flight up to Long Island...I paid for it coming back...it was ONLY a two hour (extra) delay. I finally made it to Tampa about 2 a.m.

Needless to say, I'm on autopilot here at the office after sleeping in and coming in at 11!!

Great weekend - thanks as always to Phil and Sharon for the hospitality and the Jackie and James for the comic relief!!

pqbbq
06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I just want to say thanks to Phil and his wife Sharon for the great hospitality these past few days. I enjoyed cooking, eating and meeting everyone. The rain did not dampen the fun at all. Truly a great group of guys.

Smoker

I want to say more or less the same things!

I was really concerned about even coming to the Bash - an old West Texas - ex Rancher redneck going to Long Island --

But everone I met I liked. I feel like I have a new family back East.

Thanks to everyone I talked to and got to know at Phil's Bash 2006
and a special thanks to Phil and Sharon and the kids, for putting up with very large crowd all weekend.

Bigmista
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
[quote=parrothead][quote=cabo]

As to class, hospitality, and patience with a bunch of drunk up farkers, there’s none better than the Rizzardi’s. No matter what the guy at the liquor store said….. A new “Bash Bite” classification, “Off Site Bash Bite”. I’ll let Parrothead handle that one.:wink:

It's possible that the signs on every tree, telephone pole, and traffic sign in the area had something to do with it.....but that's a story for the mastermind behind it to tell. THAT was funny!

You mean me?

All I did was create this picture...

http://www.thesurvivalgourmet.com/images/mahnapoobah.jpg

With the words "Mahna, Mahna Poobah" under it. Then I enlisted Vinny to print them out and post them all around the neighborhood. I'm sure Poobah was happy to let his neighbors know how we feel about him.

It was extra special when we were on the way the airport and James said, "Dad, did you put your signs all the way over here too?"

Sledneck
06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Im jealous about all the Big Mista Sauce talk, now i really feel like i missed out!

Bigmista
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
This was truly an amazing weekend. It felt like a family reunion. (Of course I've always been the black sheep of the family.) Phil and Sharon made everyone feel at home. I never felt uncomfortable.

Well except for when Fat Dad farted in the trailer.

Anyway, I offer my undying gratitude to the Rizzardis and all of my brethren for welcoming me with open arms.

I'd do it again next week if I didn't have to fly...

Sledneck
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
West coast bash?

Bigmista
06-26-2006, 08:25 PM
West coast bash?

ThomEmery says he knows a place...

brucesieg
06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
i want to thank phil and sharon for their wonderful hospitality, they have always been fun and generous to all they know. i also enjoyed meeting fatdad,pq,brian,jorge,charlie,jtrick,dj,ect. and mista not only did i enjoy meeting you but your sauce is the bomb. we need to talk about you selling me some of that, it would definitely impress my friends at an upcoming house party. it was always a pleasure to see brethren i had met in the past parrothead,cabo,chad tommy k,bob,vinny,smoker,brooklyn,ect. if i left any names out my apologies. it is always a pleasure to hang with you guys. hope to make a few local hooters events in the near future. any by the way thanks for the sleeping pictures. no matter what anyone says it wasnt the bottle of tequila i do have a sleeping disorder. lol lol lol

BBQchef33
06-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Everyone.... Its was our pleasure!! ..

Bashes have become a tradition.. this one was number 7 and the fifth one at mecca. As always, they are like(as mista says)family reunions. Its great to see all the old timers still coming.. Greg, Chad, Tk, Brian and Cabo.. Mista and Bruce are becoming bash veterans also.. But this year, showed our growth.. as gauged by the Chile pot..

Bash One Chile pot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/albums/Brethren-bash-I/DSCN0504.jpg (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/)

Bash III Chile Pot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/albums/Bash3/res36321.jpg (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/)

Bash 7 Chile pot. (thats bash III sittign next to it.. this bash was 80 Quarts, 3/4 full, so 60 quarts of Chile.. GONE by Friday night.. which was not so bad, because it got rained on over night and the foil didn't hold on. So it got watered on.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/albums/album58/P6210191.jpg (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/)

never ask WillY B for a big pot. You will find yourself cooking in a well.

At around 10:00 one night, i counted 22 members. I knew turnout would be high, so i didn't invite alot of local neighbors and friends, just a few stopped by, but it was mostly members. it was great to see our newer guys come to a bash, DJ, Jrick, fatdad,PQ.. And the hooters gang was out also. Next year will definitely required some adjustments or i will be on the divorce train. I thought we were doomed this year due to some "MISS-haps", but Saint Sharon has seemed to have moved passed our MESSing up. She was actually discussing next year over breakfast yesterday.

All in all we cooked 2 briskets, 2 butts, 15 racks of ribs, and 4 racks of tremendous dinosaur bones, and as usual, all the chicken is still left.. We went thru a load of sausage rings , beans, and some Brooklyn Bread.. and lets not forget, 2 batches of Gregs Venous clogus. We made up a batch of fatties on Thursday but they never made it back in on Friday and Saturday. Kielbasa would get scoffed up faster than we can cook it.. Thanks to BrooklynQ for bringing some awesome grub from the neighborhoods in brooklyn.. breads and sausage that you can only get in the 2nd borough. Purple turtle(greg and nancy) brought some homemade kielbasa and pesto sauces and fresh mozerella that were kickass.. ME?? I got to make my Prime rib, a 22lb monster, but totally forgot to make the cheese bread(sorry jorge). .. I have 3 huge loaves of Garlic Bread a load of tomatos and 5lbs of cheese in the fridge..

One thing added a very differnet and difficult twist, and a bash first. We had 2 days of rain. Saturday night we got hit with 6.4 inches of rain in 4 hours, and that was aside from the rain of and on all day.. We were under tents, and managed to stay dry, but the rain did put a damper on things. We were couped up instea of being able to get up and wander around the way we usually do. The rain defiantely added to my stress level, and thank god Jorge was there to keep me sane(and thank Jorge too).

For some reason NY Daily News found us Newsworthy, becase they sent out a photographer to take pictures. she shot the food, the brothers, and even got digital imagary of our secret agent man. Thank god she left before Tk decided to run around the yard and go for dip in the pool..

in a wet suit.

Yes.. he was wearig a wet suit, a full blown RUBber wetsuit... as he was when i arrived at the airport.. Tk walked, no, leaped into the road in front of the airport terminal.. in a a wet suit.. held out his arms and squated down as I pulled up in the truck.. A calssic way to start a bash..

great to meet the Texas guys, pq and Fatdad... You need to get your dog and monkey neutered.

All in all, i say thanks to everyone for traveling from all over to make these things a great time. Despite the weather I'm thrilled everyone was comfortable and had a good time.. Hope no one went home hungry!!.

i'll add more tomorrow, but i seemed to have just gell asleep at the keyboard.. seems I got acoustomed to battel naps.. more to come.. and thanks to everyone for comin..

tommykendall
06-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Phil's post pretty sums it up well and is a nice ending to this thread. For that reason I'm going to lock it down. If anyone disagrees another moderator can unlock it. No problem Mon.