PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt quantity question

jcpetro97
04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Is there a standard ratio that people use to figure out how many butts they need for X guests at a gathering? I might be cooking for a birthday party this summer, so I was starting to think it over.

One note, the pork won't be the only entre... There will be other meats there too....

Stoke&Smoke
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
There are some catering charts floating around the site. Normally for pulled pork you figure about 50% yield of cooked to raw, and a general guideline would be 1/4 lb. per person. But that could vary between the crowd (all women, all men, mixed) and the number of other meats. So 2 12 lb. butts raw = 12lb. cooked, enough for almost 50 people if calculating 1/4lb. each

HBMTN
04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
There are some catering charts floating around the site. Normally for pulled pork you figure about 50% yield of cooked to raw, and a general guideline would be 1/4 lb. per person. But that could vary between the crowd (all women, all men, mixed) and the number of other meats. So 2 12 lb. butts raw = 12lb. cooked, enough for almost 50 people if calculating 1/4lb. each

We're very close to Stoke&Smoke except I figure it at 5oz per person but probably would never run out at 1/4lb per person. With the prices of pork these day I will probably start taking the above suggestions and go with 1/4lb per.

Pyle's BBQ
04-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Another thing to think about would be the bun size. If it is not the only entree, I would use smaller sized buns also. I use slider buns. It will give you more portions even if they take 2 buns.

Wampus
04-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I've pre and post weighed lots of times and have never failed figuring 1/4 lb per person using 4" buns. I also figure 40% waste. As I said, I've weighed before taking out of the cryos and after cooking and pulling and I'll get between 38% and 41% nearly every time.

I just did PP for 120 this past weekend. at 1/4 lb per person, I wanted to end up with 30 lbs cooked.
It was about 52 lb in the cryovacs from RD. Pulled and ready to serve ended up right at 30.5 lbs.

And I second the slider bun idea. This was for a late evening reception at church so we went with slider buns, which stretched the pork a little further I think.