PDA

View Full Version : Went to Gates BBQ in Kansas CIty yesterday!

LanceM88
04-16-2014, 12:44 PM
All I can say is WOW. I used to think my brisket was good, but it just plain sucks after I had theirs. The depth of flavor was incredible. Not overly smoked, and amazingly tender. I could twist my fork and roll it up like I was eating pasta. Truly a great experience. I highly recommend it! Now if I could just figure out how they do it! I can't get my brisket to have that much beefy flavor. Taste to bland. Not sure if it was their rub or what.

Bamabuzzard
04-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Get you a big ole pot of boiling water...:becky:

jketron
04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Its rubbed, over cooked and chopped with all the fat and au ju.

Bigdog
04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
CAN I HEP YA!! :thumb:

I like their ribs the best!

bigdogphin
04-17-2014, 07:29 PM
CAN I HEP YA!! :thumb:

Ha ha .. This.

I will say it was my least favorite of the places I visited in KC

Ozric
04-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Never eaten at one of their joints, so I can't comment on their actual Q, but I will say that I just LOVE their Original BBQ Sauce. I was gifted a bottle at Christmas, and really liked it. I've gone through 5 or 6 others since, including ones I used to really like (like Better Than Sex (both Regular and Extra Tingly), but even it pales next to Gates. And compared to the other bottle I was gifted at the same time, Jack Stack? No comparison. I can't understand why it's so popular.

Anyway, I've got 12 bottles of Gates sauce on the way, 8 Original and 4 Extra Hot. Can't wait to try the Extra Hot!

bander7003
04-18-2014, 07:56 AM
I will say that I just LOVE their Original BBQ Sauce.

I too love their sauce. Their food... not so much. It's a step above or below famous dave's in my prior experience. Too many other great KC joints that I never go there any more when I'm in town.

midwest_kc
04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Gates has a soft spot for me. Growing up, this was the place where I really learned to love BBQ. Their sauce is still my favorite, hands down. The last few times I've been there, though, I just....it's not what I remember. I still go there on occaision, but it's pretty much for the memories I have eating there with my folks. The food just doesn't stand up to many of the other spots in town.

However, it's much better than Famous Dave's, imo.

Hoppy
04-18-2014, 07:25 PM
If you ever get the chance check out Porky's in Grain Valley! It's a Hidden Treasure we have here.