PDA

View Full Version : name of entry level BBQ controller, more simple than Junior

woodpelletsmoker
03-28-2014, 04:40 AM
I am asked to develop a controller which shall be more simple than QMaster-Junior. Someone wants just plug and play.

I am thinking to simplify the Junior to one temperature stage, no high/low alarm.

There are one power switch and 4 buttons of "Auto", "+", "-", "Manual",
Default display is in F, and target temp. is 225F.

You need only to press button of "auto" and "auto" light is on green, then it will keep your smoker at 225F
If you press button of "manual", "manual" light will be on green. If you press buttons of "+" or "-", the fan will run faster or slower.
It will use 850 F probe.

What name shall I use for it.
I am thinking Qmaster-Sitter, or BBQ-Sitter

As before I will give ONE set free to most valuable suggestion.
and 5 pieces in 50% discount to other valuable suggestions

pixcolor
03-28-2014, 09:01 AM
I like the idea of having only one temperature stage as I think that's all that's needed most of the time. But are you saying that 225 F is the only temperature it will work at, or that this is the default, but it can be set to another target temperature?

pixcolor
03-28-2014, 09:35 AM
How about Qmaster-One?

woodpelletsmoker
03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
225F is default, you can also change it. and you can also change to show in C

BB-Kuhn
03-28-2014, 10:35 AM
The BBQ General
Set it and Fugghetabout it
The Pit Doctor
PitGuard
BBQ Watchman
BBQ Babysitter
Pit Sitter

pixcolor
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
225F is default, you can also change it. and you can also change to show in C

This is sounding good. Maybe this is what the Junior should have been? Are you doing this because one person asked you for it, or do you think there will be a big demand? What do you think the price point will be?

Lake Dogs
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
If they can set it both higher and lower, I suggest that the default should probably be 250, not 225.

BBQ Temp Guard

woodpelletsmoker
03-28-2014, 09:37 PM
This is sounding good. Maybe this is what the Junior should have been? Are you doing this because one person asked you for it, or do you think there will be a big demand? What do you think the price point will be?

I am discussing with an American who wants to sell my controllers.
He tells me that most users will not feel comfort to program and most even do not read operation manual. More users would like "plug and play".
So I am thinking to cancel some features of Junior.
to make it as simple as plug and play

woodpelletsmoker
03-28-2014, 09:39 PM
If they can set it both higher and lower, I suggest that the default should probably be 250, not 225.

BBQ Temp Guard
Thanks a lot
But I read here that low&slow smoking is mostly at 225F, fewer at 250F
Dear Brethren, more comments are wanted

rajewest
03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
As far as a name, how about just QMaster. I think having one set temp is good for most people, I have one of the Golden Dog controllers and have all 4 programs set the same, I would also have the preset default set to 250. Will it still be variable speed fan output in Auto?

woodpelletsmoker
03-29-2014, 04:36 AM
As far as a name, how about just QMaster. I think having one set temp is good for most people, I have one of the Golden Dog controllers and have all 4 programs set the same, I would also have the preset default set to 250. Will it still be variable speed fan output in Auto?
Yes, it is still variable speed fan output in Auto

Porcine Perfection
03-30-2014, 08:04 AM
I will be very interested in this. I don't use the meat thermometer on my QMaster Senior. All I want is a controller that keeps my pits at a steady temperature.

A good name would be QMaster Lite.

Amigatec
03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I will be very interested in this. I don't use the meat thermometer on my QMaster Senior. All I want is a controller that keeps my pits at a steady temperature.

I like this idea. I only use one setting on my Jr. I don't use the Sr much.

Amigatec
03-30-2014, 10:24 AM
I haven't been doing much smoking lately, I dislocated my Right Shoulder and all probably need surgery on it.

pixcolor
03-30-2014, 11:37 AM

I like QMaster Lite also. I think three models would be enough. The Senior could become QMaster, and maybe the wireless could be QMaster Pro.

I also prefer 225 F as the default temperature.

IamMadMan
03-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Pit-Sitter

Ronjenn
03-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I like the idea of simply calling it Qmaster. Qmaster lite sounds as if it is lacking too many features or is not as advanced as it should be.

woodpelletsmoker
03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I like QMaster
But how about QMaster-EZ

Toronto
03-31-2014, 07:25 PM
How about Qmaster-One?

Great name!

Ronjenn
03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
I think that QMaster-EZ would also work well. It would describe the product without making it sound as if it is less capable or lacking in capabilities. It also would differentiate it from the QMaster Jr or Sr. while still keeping the name.

Eggtastico
04-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Maybe think about it as a range.
If your going to call the range QMaster
Then think of how you could expand the range
Qmaster easy - Pit temperature
Qmaster lite - pit temperature + meat probe
Qmaster plus - pit temperature + 2 meat probes + option to purchase additional probes (up to 4)
Qmaster pro - All singing & Dancing!

Maybe in the future with Wifi or bluetooth & software
Qmaster i-Easy
Qmaster i-lite
Qmaster i-plus
Qmaster i-pro