PDA

View Full Version : A Different safety issue

Ashmont
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
How many comps actually address the issues of weather safety. Like what happened in Mt Vernon over the weekend. Luckily the comp was for the most part over when 70-80 mile and hour straight winds decided to crash the party and nobody got hurt. Besides the head for the hills idea does this get covered during the contest. Where to go when something like this hits. What about extreme heat like we had last year in STL. Do you go around and ask if everybody is hydrated with water or Gatorade (TM) The saftey thing made me think!!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I overdid it heat-wise myself at the GAB. We went into the a/c in the clubhouse for the awards and for about 20 to 30 minutes, I felt like I was going to puke and pass out. It wasn't pretty! It took 2 bottles of gatorade to make me feel just a little better!

BBQchef33
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
good point, But i thing the logistics of it would be difficult at alot of venues... I guess its assumed...

Every man for himself!!!

Sledneck
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Endurance is the name of the gamer in any sport.

Sawdustguy
06-13-2006, 07:11 AM
We let common sense be our guide. As an example, during last years Grill Kings it was hot and my brother who loves his beer, drank Gatorade. Not only do you have to keep from dehydrating, you need to keep your electrolyte levels up. You have to use your head and think about what your doing out there. As ex-boaters we still keep an ear and an eye to the weather. We still carry a radio that recieves NOAA weather radio and we check it from time to time. Lets face it, we are adults and have responsibility for ourselves and our families. A little common sense goes a very long way.

Ashmont
06-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Your right were all adults and should be able to fend for ourselves. As an organizer I feel the responsibility to keep people aware of potential issues such as tornados and extremes. Chalk it up to 14 years as a paramedic and every shift at least getting advised during the summer to keep hydrated ect. I think it should be mentioned at least at the cooks meeting of what to do where to go if ????? happens. You bring up a great point about electrolytes. We had several people who during Hurricane Rita get water logged. They drank water all day but nothing else. Bought them an IV and a stay at the local ER for about 4 hours