PDA

View Full Version : anyone use claws or pork puller

smokeymeatsweats
03-20-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm cooking 7 or 8 shoulders in a month and I wondered if anyone has used the bear claws or the pork puller(drill powered shredder)

MattG
03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
I have the Roman Pork Puller and love it. Works great.

Lake Dogs
03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
If you like shredded pork with the fat remnants still in it, it does this great. Me, I find the results akin to ruining good pulled pork. The bear claw can be effective, but you'd want to remove the fat first, and to me tha's more time than just pulling it by hand.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and pull it by hand; I like to leave the pieces roughly the size of my thumb, give or take, so that they retain the moisture and flavors much better while I remove ALL of the fatty tissue that wasnt cooked off...

FYI: when I cook, I usually cook 6 - 12 9# butts...

smokeymeatsweats
03-20-2014, 07:52 PM
I usually trim my fat caps pretty thin so I may not have much of a fat issue, Matt does your pork stay pretty moist

HBMTN
03-20-2014, 08:25 PM
I tried the bear claws one time but I like to get out my insulated gloves and go at them by hand better.

Pyle's BBQ
03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I usually just use two sets of tongs.

Williefb
03-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I've got a set of the metal bear claws that are the Big Green Egg brand. I like em a lot.

mikeleonard81
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
I slide the fat cap off and use the bear claws for the first step. Then I go by hand to make sure I get all the unwanted's out.

RICK Allen
03-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Tongs work the best stick them in and give it a twist, if it wont twist put it back in for an hr

poorolddan
03-21-2014, 09:59 AM
If I want to pull several butts and I'm short on time the Roman is the tool. Let them rest for 20 minutes them put that screaming hot butt in the pot and blast it as fine as you want. You still are serving hot and don't have fried hands.

sunrise
03-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I tried claws, I found them hard to use ( for me anyway), I saw the drill opperated tool, but didnt like the way the pork came out, I do a lot of butts every week, and 2 forks by hand is what works for me.

revkab
03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
I used a pair of Kassa Meat Claws (got 'em from an "Amazing" online store) for my last butt. They die a really great job, even though I should have let the butt cook a while longer.

Toast
03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I use the Bear Claws.

becksboy
03-22-2014, 02:40 PM
I use the pork puller to save time, just do not over do it or your pork can turn to mush.

tsimm15
03-24-2014, 08:32 AM
I use bear claws and my wife helps sift thru for fat. Doesn't take long for each butt.

Jeff Therrell
03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I put on gloves and pull it by hand, takes me about an hour to pull 24 butts. I pull all the fat out and most important I get that lymph node out. That one little node about the size of the end of your thumb can ruin a whole butt. Just smash one and smell it, but be where you can throw up in a hurry. There is no magic alternative to hand pulling if you want the highest quality. We pull ours and then warm it on a flat top.
Thanks, Jeff
Sweetfire BBQ

Puppyboy
04-02-2014, 07:29 AM
We use the bear claws & love em. While pulling you can pick out the chunks of fat, veins, little cartilage piece, and occasional fat tumor if ya missed it earlier.

It's a little more work then the drill attachment but worth it.

smokeymeatsweats
04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Pretty mixed reviews here. If I pull the pork and put in pan with foil over it and place in cambro will it stay warm and most

Puppyboy
04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
That would depend on how long it takes you to pull. If you plan on serving right after you pull it, toss the foiled pan in the oven to heat it back up.

We foil when we cook and pour the collected juices back into the pulled pork.

BB-Kuhn
04-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I have the brown plastic bear claws and love them. I like hand-pulling with some hot rubber gloves a bit more, but the claws are fast, easy to clean and really work well.

pwa
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
If you like shredded pork with the fat remnants still in it, it does this great. Me, I find the results akin to ruining good pulled pork. The bear claw can be effective, but you'd want to remove the fat first, and to me tha's more time than just pulling it by hand.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and pull it by hand; I like to leave the pieces roughly the size of my thumb, give or take, so that they retain the moisture and flavors much better while I remove ALL of the fatty tissue that wasnt cooked off...

FYI: when I cook, I usually cook 6 - 12 9# butts...

I'm with Lake Dog, I use a mair of nitrile gloves and do it by hand, I can feel the fat and discard and I get the size and texture I want to serve my customers. I cook and pull 3-5 case a week

Clint

bizznessman
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
We initially used "claws", to save our hands from the heat, until we discovered the Nitrile gloves. For us the gloves offer greater dexterity and "feel" for the texture of the meat. We also found that the "claws" actually made our hands sore. YMMV

plowin-fire
04-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Insulated gloves work the best IMO. Get all the inedible stuff out and better feel for texture. Dont take long at all.

gun smoke
04-06-2014, 07:54 AM
roman pork puller works great

Big Johnson
04-12-2014, 09:23 AM
All by hand!!! I have claws but I like to make sure I get all the unwanted stuff out. I serve what I wouldn't want to find in my pulled pork sandwich.

BigBellyBBQ
04-13-2014, 07:35 AM
my hd dept giged me on the plastic claws, too many spaces for the meat to get trapped in..

JimmyDAL
04-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Roman is Awesome!

IamMadMan
04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I used to use "bear claws" but I found a similar item made with stainless tines. When the pork bone wiggles, I pull the bone out, cut the remains of the fat cap off, pan and tent to rest in the cambro. When ready to serve I use the stainless claws to break up into large clumps, and pull the larger pieces by hand to remove any undesirable items.

I prefer to serve my pulled pork without any sauce, so I serve long strands of pork in good sized pieces. The larger pieces retain more moisture than smaller shreds and are more flavorful in my opinion.

bwsy2k
04-13-2014, 07:06 PM
I love the Roman Pork Puller. After using it I sift through the meat to get rid of some of the fat pieces left.