PDA

View Full Version : Bite through chicken

Duddy55
02-23-2014, 08:01 PM
I have tried many times now but just can't seem to get it down but I'm having a struggle with bite through chicken skin... I have done it without scraping the fat... I have done it with scraping the fat... Without scraping my skin is rubbery... When I scraped it I got a nice crisp skin but can't make a clean bite thru.... Any words of wisdom?

IowaWildHogsBbq
02-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Butter, foil pans, and foil. Higher heat.

cameraman
02-23-2014, 08:40 PM
What are you cooking on?

Duddy55
02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Offset char griller smoker

TooSaucedToPork
02-23-2014, 10:27 PM
My take - You need to scrape, rub, reattach, cook with moisture, AND have constant 275-300 degree heat for at least 1.75 hours. A stock Off set chargriller, that's some pro firetending to get it.

vinnmann
02-23-2014, 10:37 PM
First make sure you have a good temp gauge since that is a COS and probably loses a lot of heat. Then raise your cooking temperature to 290-325.

If you want fancy comp style use a cake pan and smoke them skin side down in the pan for an hour. Flip and add some stock and then foil, braise another 30 minutes, then rack and sauce set.

I would recommend at least trimming the fat to even thickness. You don't have to scrape but some of these birds have chunky fat areas that you want to even out. A filt knife works best.

jrbBBQ
02-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Build an UDS, cook at 260-300, or cook indirect on your chargrilled at same temp, it seems to help if the temp is deflected down onto the chicken for me. My Uds has a deflector so most heat comes up around the edges and deflects off the flat lid back down onto the chicken, I also get the same results cooking indirect on my weber kettle and my ole hickory CTO. I may be talking out of my a@@, but I have a 180 pin in chicken, so evidently something worked.

DaSmokin'Chili
02-24-2014, 01:01 AM
I am also having trouble with my consistency on cooking bite through skin on thighs.:x. I was practicing yesterday, trimmed thighs, scraped skin, rubbed chicken. Tried to keep it simple and focus on the skin. Now I scraped skin, sprayed a little Pam on both sides. I put rub on meat and on top of the skin. Cooked in a pan, on rack, in my WSM @250 2hrs. Skin was not bite through, was pretty though.
So don't try that. Maybe I needed to scrape more skin off? and too low of a temp?
Its so much easier to achieve it on a whole bird and by doing nothing..... I don't get it?

rtboswell
02-24-2014, 06:22 AM
I am also having trouble with my consistency on cooking bite through skin on thighs.:x.

Follow the above advice about scraping, panning with moisture, and higher heat. The other thing I'd mention is that not all chicken skin is created equal. Before I settled on the product I use now, I tried a ton of different brands/types and found that some skins were actually thinner than others and had less fat.

Teamfour
02-24-2014, 06:24 AM
Jaccard

RumRunner_1492
02-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Jaccard

I tried that but it didn't seem to have the desired result.

RumRunner_1492
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
In KCBS is there any issue cooking the chicken in the smoker and then finishing on a high temp grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin?

MikeJ65
02-24-2014, 07:56 AM
In KCBS is there any issue cooking the chicken in the smoker and then finishing on a high temp grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin?

It is certainly within the rules, the only issue is whether or not the skin is still going to be crispy maybe 15 min. later when the judge bites into it.

DawgPhan
02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
like every bbq meat, braise the heck out it.

scm1226
02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
MAYO- But our chicken sucks!!!

Spydermike72
02-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Have you tried just putting the thighs in a butter/parkay bath for about 45 minutes uncovered and about 45 minutes covered ?? Cook at about 260-280...

Start with a good piece of meat and then try that and see how your results are...

dano
02-24-2014, 09:47 AM
We do our chicken at 250 (lower temps) with no scraping and get bite through skin. Use a thermometer to check for the skins tenderness before saucing.

CBQ
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

Duddy55
02-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the input

RumRunner_1492
02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.

I would think this method would make the skin rubbery because of all of the moisture. It doesn't?

Sawdustguy
02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Butter, foil pans, and foil. Higher heat.

+1000 That is the secret!!! Braising does it every time and it's a lot easier than scraping skin.

littleben
02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Couple questions, do you cover the margarine pan with foil over the top of the chicken?
and second, my method is 20 minutes in margarine pan, uncovered. 20 minute on the grate, and another 20 minutes on grate but flipped to try to get some grill marks. I cook on a pellet grill and at 265 degrees the chicken is done in a hour or less, 170 degrees. So Im struggling to get that much time on the chicken. what am I missing?

Burnt at Both Endz
02-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Couple questions, do you cover the margarine pan with foil over the top of the chicken?
and second, my method is 20 minutes in margarine pan, uncovered. 20 minute on the grate, and another 20 minutes on grate but flipped to try to get some grill marks. I cook on a pellet grill and at 265 degrees the chicken is done in a hour or less, 170 degrees. So Im struggling to get that much time on the chicken. what am I missing?

Yes the pan is cover,later.

I get no grill marks on my chicken. Judges don't seem to mind though.

CBQ
02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
I would think this method would make the skin rubbery because of all of the moisture. It doesn't?

No, not at all. Try it!

You aren't covering it at any point, that's the problem. Do what you do now at the start, but instead of putting it on the grate, at that point leave it in the pan, and seal the pan with foil. The foil should not touch the chicken. Leave it there until it's 170 or higher. (Once you figure out how long that takes, you may not even have to temp it. You could also experiment with changing the amount of time it's unfoiled vs. foiled to see what works best for your cooker.)

Bubba
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't use a butter bath or scrape skins and still get bite through skin

big matt
02-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Bingo!

RumRunner_1492
02-24-2014, 07:38 PM
No, not at all. Try it!

This thread is perfect timing for me. This weekend I am practicing with ribs and chicken before my competition in 2 weeks. I'm going to give this a shot as well as trying thighs and drums.

Offthehook
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
I don't use a butter bath or scrape skins and still get bite through skin
What a cliffhanger, care to share?

McEvoy AZ
02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
I use no butter, but high heat and it has worked for me. Last year I scored over 177 in the Northern Arizona BBQ Fest in Williams AZ in a KCBS and was the AZ Barbeque Chicken Team of the year.

BB-Kuhn
02-26-2014, 05:35 AM
I smoke mine in a pan with butter, then pull it out and put it indirect on a really hot grill to crisp up the skin. PITA, but I don't have to scrape/remove/toothpick/etc.

And I have taken 1st in chicken before, so it can work.

Bubba
02-26-2014, 11:47 AM
What a cliffhanger, care to share?

You will have to take my cooking class to find out. It's really not that hard.

Podge
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM

He's right.. not hard at all, and can be done consistently too. More than one technique. I'll be showing this in my class this weekend.:becky:

TooSaucedToPork
02-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

No offense meant y'all, I just miss the old days.

Podge
02-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

What I find slightly irritating, is that this question is asked more than a few times a year. A simple search on this site has the answers. And yes, I've answered it before too. Probably more than once. Bite thru chicken skin is the ABT question of the 21st century. Besides, the class I am teaching at, I am making absolutely no money from, and as a matter of fact, it's costing me money to do this free class. And, I am one of those guys you kind of indirectly bashed awhile back about how some of us who just sit in our trailers at a contest, and only care about the competing, and not there to EDUCATE the public, people like me will ruin this "sport".. etc.. etc.. I've personally have done a hell of a lot, more than my fair share of helping out others, on a more personal level than on a forum. Also, I've gotten tired of helping people out by personal messaging them on these forums, and most of the time, not even getting a simple "thank you".. So, screw it, unless it's a pretty unique question that spurs debate on this forum and causes me to think and to even get something out myself, then yes, I'll chime in. Until then, I'll still help out those I want to help or want my help, and choose not brag about how much I am educating, paying it forward or whatever people choose to call it.

Fat Freddy
02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Podge I cant speak for TSTP and I dont want to, and you have helped people out with questions. So for that I will say THANK YOU. ..But i will say i also kinda see where TSTP is coming from on this. Not all members that ask questions here have bben here for a while so they dont know whether something has been asked or not. Yes you are right also about the search, but again not all know how to use it.

When i was a new member I had read on several postings someone asking questions like can someone tell me how to do......., and one particular member saying "NO". My personal opinion was WTF why even answer. That made me afraid to post anything for a while, now you cant get me to shut up.

So I do see where TSTP is coming from, whether someone is making money or not. If someone has a legitimate question I guess I think it should be answered or maybe not commented on at all.

As to the OP and his question uncovered Foil pan in butter at 275* for an hour, then cover foil pan for another 45 minutes works for me....But my chicken scores are hit and miss

Podge
02-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Yes, you're right Fat Freddy, I shouldn't have commented at all. But, if you think about it, there's several comments on every topic that does not pertain to the main topic.. Including this one.

Offthehook
02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
I understand, my chicken did well at my first comp, just trying to find ways others are doing it. Thanks

Firefighter
02-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I asked that question last week and I for one am glad he asked the question again because he actually got the answers that I was looking for. I really appreciate all the answers and techniques that were given. I thought that this was a forum to ask questions, talk about BBQ, chat and possibly help one another out. I have heard a couple of people say they are tired of answering the questions that have already been asked and to use the search feature to find past threads. I think all that does is Make people feel like they shouldn't post anything at all. I would like to say thanks for all for the responses to the original question.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-26-2014, 04:38 PM

#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.

#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
I have heard a couple of people say they are tired of answering the questions that have already been asked and to use the search feature to find past threads. I think all that does is Make people feel like they shouldn't post anything at all. I would like to say thanks for all for the responses to the original question.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2755160

:shock::-D

jimmypop
02-26-2014, 05:10 PM

This all makes sense but I have a follow up question from a new comp cook.

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?

Offthehook
02-26-2014, 05:47 PM

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?
I dip, some brush and its put back on the cooker. Some people dont go back on the cooker.

FatCoyote
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Lube up the bird, cook at 350+ and you should be good to go... I do it all the time in my offset and don't have any problems with skin, unless I have used those water added birds.

Firefighter
02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.
#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.
Gotta say I respect everything you said, you are right. I never really thought about it like that. I do think that asking a Question again should be ok because things change all the time and maybe someone has a better idea or method or solution that was never covered before in an earlier thread. Sorry guys I didn't mean any disrespect. :thumb:

CBQ
02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Yes, that's right.

I don't mind answering. I have answered this and other questions more than once, and will probably do so again. I'm not taking away anything from people teaching classes - it's a basic technique. I'm not putting my whole program on here.

Also: I think that except for contest results, almost everything pertaining to BBQ has already been discussed here. Yeah, you could search for it - but a forum with no new posts would be kind of boring, no?

:deadhorse:

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
02-26-2014, 07:46 PM
I scrape and cook in butter bath. My next door neighbor is a CBJ and he says he does not count off at all for that and I'm sure there is a lot more that do the same.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Gotta say I respect everything you said, you are right. I never really thought about it like that. I do think that asking a Question again should be ok because things change all the time and maybe someone has a better idea or method or solution that was never covered before in an earlier thread. Sorry guys I didn't mean any disrespect. :thumb:

Well looking back on my post I was a bit grumpy and harsh. This place is full of information and people willing to help. I hope my post doesn't stop you from asking questions.

TooSaucedToPork
02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Podge,

Brother, in that thread I didn't call you out and say you were the problem...I said people that are "just here to win" are the problem. People that care nothing about the culture of BBQ and everything about the $$$ and the plastic pig. People that hide in their trailers and don't spread the love that is BBQ. Those are the people that will kill this sport.

You sir teach a free class. You help people. You care about BBQ, though you seem a bit jaded (not a dis, just how your comment comes across). Once again, you specifically are not the problem with the current state of BBQ.

I brag about nothing. I just state the way things used to be, before the BBQ scene blew up and so many people became "just about winning". I have grown up over 2 decades in Comp BBQ. Many people haven't been in that long and don't remember the core community aspect that Competition BBQ was built around. Our team keeps to the traditions that were passed down to us, we have shared our knowledge freely for over a decade. It's not bragging, it is what our team is about. You could say it's our mission statement. We pass down and give freely the knowledge that has been passed to us by teams like us.

Like I said, "No offense meant y'all, I just miss the old days."

I'm not attacking anyone, just making a comment that increasingly on threads that contain questions about specific processes, more and more people are saying "take my class" or answering with things like "I don't have that problem" and when asked why they don't, their answer..."Take my class".

New people get turned off of this board because they are afraid to post. Someone could have been lurking for 3 months, finally get the courage to sign up and ask a question, and then we give them a crap answer or a sarcastic comment.

What I was trying to say was: why answer at all if you don't want to help?

I'm sorry if I offended you or rubbed you the wrong way.

Okie Sawbones
02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I do not enter competitions, but I try to cook at that level for the family. I read everything I can get my hands on, and read these forums with gusto. Y'all have a lot of knowledge stored here.

Tonight I cooked a 3.5 lb. whole chicken on my Primo Grill. I think one secret to good BBQ chicken is to use smaller chickens instead of the wannabe turkeys they try to sell in the grocery stores.

There was minimal fat under the skin, so I did no scraping whatsoever. I rubbed the chicken well with melted butter (the real thing), then liberally applied Plowboy's Yardbird Rub. I placed the chicken on the Primo Chicken Sitter, and when the grill reached 325 degrees, the bird went on the smoker.

I cooked the chicken until the breast was 190 degrees, which goes against my previous thinking of 165-170. I removed the bird from the cooker and let it sit for 20 minutes. To my surprise, the chicken was juicy throughout, and the skin was easily bite through. The wife said it was the best chicken I ever cooked, which is good enough for me.

Thanks for all of the input. :thumb:

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Don't back down now.

Bubba
02-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Anybody that knows me will tell you that I am the first person at a comp that will help you. If someone thinks that it is wrong to for me to make a comment about someone to take my cooking class as a answer we will have to disagree about it. What is wrong with me or anyone else getting paid for teaching bbq something that I am very passionate about. I guess being a WORLD CHAMPION should count for something.

Pappy Q
02-27-2014, 04:27 AM
I cook boneless, skinless thighs with no rub on a walmart $20 grill. Get the fire as hot as possible without melting the grill, only takes about 5 minutes all within the confines of my trailer while talking to know one. Turn in with no sauce and don't care if I win. Yes, I'm the problem.

Smoke'n Ice
02-27-2014, 06:27 AM
I cook boneless, skinless thighs with no rub on a walmart $20 grill. Get the fire as hot as possible without melting the grill, only takes about 5 minutes all within the confines of my trailer while talking to know one. Turn in with no sauce and don't care if I win. Yes, I'm the problem.

I thought you used 'shine' as the glaze. Did you change? :tape:

TooSaucedToPork
02-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Anybody that knows me will tell you that I am the first person at a comp that will help you. If someone thinks that it is wrong to for me to make a comment about someone to take my cooking class as a answer we will have to disagree about it. What is wrong with me or anyone else getting paid for teaching bbq something that I am very passionate about. I guess being a WORLD CHAMPION should count for something.

I was making a comment on the increasing number of people answering questions on here with "Take my Class" instead of not posting at all or just telling someone how to do it. I even said please don't take offense. It just seems lately that every question a newbie has gets a "Take my Class" response.

You started in BBQ back around the time I did...I can't recall a time before 2000 I asked a question to a BBQer and was answered with "take my class". It was a comment on how I missed the old days when we all would share info...

It wasn't meant as an attack brother, I apologize if it came across that way.

Podge
02-27-2014, 08:45 AM
You say people like me, who are just there to win, will kill BBQ competition. We can just agree to disagree.

RumRunner_1492
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM

I think it's completely acceptable for people to come on the forum and exchange information and ideas. We can all learn form each other to improve our cooking. There is nothing wrong with that at all. If you feel you have a secret method or technique and you want to keep it to yourself then by all means do but don't look down on others for sharing information.

Hawg Father of Seoul
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Funny thing. I agree with everyone on this. Especially the you do not need butter part.

Offthehook
02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Funny thing. I agree with everyone on this. Especially the you do not need butter part.
Everything is better with butter :laugh:

DUBBAGA
02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Everything is better with butter :laugh:
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-fabio.jpg
Keep your personal feelings out of the Comp Forum :becky:

DUBBAGA
02-27-2014, 03:16 PM
This weekend I'm doing the butter/broth bath... wow, say that 5 times fast

Pappy Q
02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I thought you used 'shine' as the glaze. Did you change? :tape:

You caught me. Had to stop using the shine glaze, I drank it all.

Offthehook
02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
It works, a big plus is you can cook chicken on top of other things and not have drippings.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I think it's completely acceptable for people to come on the forum and exchange information and ideas. We can all learn form each other to improve our cooking. There is nothing wrong with that at all. If you feel you have a secret method or technique and you want to keep it to yourself then by all means do but don't look down on others for sharing information.

I don't have a problem with people sharing information. I simply stated why many of us don't share EVERYTHING. The only time "sharing" rubs me the wrong way is if somebody takes a class then spills their guts all over the forum. To me that's a stick in the eye to the person who held the class. Is it really any different than somebody ripping the Kosmos Q DVDs and posting it on here for everyone to see? It's just sharing information right?

gettinbasted
02-27-2014, 10:08 PM
I think people have a tendency to overthink and mystify competition chicken. I think a common fallacy passed around on this forum is that competition BBQ in general, and chicken specifically, is something that any sane person, other than a judge, would find disgusting or too rich to eat. I think that is BS. If you are turning in chicken you don't want to eat, you are missing the boat. Most of us are judges from time to time and we want good food. Make the best chicken you know how to make. Bite through skin can win, crispy skin can win, white meat can win, wings can win... Confidence and execution are key to winning. Believe in your technique and put it in a box.

That being said, braise the sh!t out of it!

themidniteryder
02-27-2014, 11:07 PM
And what rub did you say you were using? :-D Have a safe drive, see you out there tomorrow.