PDA

View Full Version : Trinidad, CA area - Looking for some good Q

CErnst
02-22-2014, 12:44 AM
End of March, my family is meeting up for a vacation in Trinidad. I'd love to know if there is any good BBQ in the area.

landarc
02-22-2014, 02:24 AM
Trinidad in Humboldt County? Man, you chose and interesting place to meet up. Nothing in Trinidad for BBQ. If you head to Eureka, there is Eureka Smokehouse, decent to good BBQ. I have heard Shamus T. Bones is good, never been.

I do not like Porter Street BBQ, tri-tip and not done very well to my taste.

CErnst
02-22-2014, 10:40 AM
All I know is that it is up north of Eureka. We are all flying into San Francisco (Dad is in China, I'm in KC, sister is in Houston, and mom is in St Louis), staying the night, then driving up the coast...so we'll be going through Eureka. Might stop by one of those places and check them out.

gtr
02-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Don't know about BBQ up there, but when in Humboldt don't ask anybody what they do for a living. :tape:

Chuckwagonbbqco
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
The BBQ places are all new since I have been there. Google "Samoa Cookhouse" for a place that needs to be visited, although it is not BBQ. I am not sure how long it has been there but I think over a hundred years. It is a huge old logging camp kitchen serving family style.

Area is polarized politically---loggers vs tree huggers and well known cannabis growing area.

If you see someone wearing a shirt that says "EARTH FIRST---We Will Log The Other Planets Later"-----you have not found a tree hugger

landarc
02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I know the area well, my mom, dad and siblings all moved up there starting back in 1983, ironic because I was the only one who wanted to move up there prior to that, and I am nowhere near moving up there :mad2:

That being said, I know the route and locales between here and there very well. If you want more suggestions, other than BBQ, because honestly, there are limited options, I can help you out.

Now, all that being said, it is highly likely you will find yourself near the town of Willits for lunch, if you leave San Francisco in the morning. Main Street Smokehouse opened about a year ago, and the meats there were excellent, and they had good sauces and sides. Warning, cornbread is sweet, good though. Now, if you get on the road a little earlier, and find yourself near Redway, CA, stop in at Deb's Great American Burgers, really good stuff, great portions.

Samoa Cookhouse is an experience, toned down over the years. When we first started going there, the fried chicken for a family of four was two fried chickens, 4 pies, a huge tureen of soup, a whole loaf of bread, three sides and more if you asked. That is no more, but, the portions are generous.

Now, in Trinidad:
Larrupin' Cafe: Great grilled meats, great red sauce, great mustard dill sauce, this is the best dinner house in the area.

Seascape: greasy spoon that is all about being on the waterfront of a commercial dock, you might even see some crab landings this time of year. Not great food, but, honest food and a great setting.

Tirinidad Bay Eatery and Gallery: Better food than Seascape and in the middle of town, I don't feel comfortable here, the booths are on the small side (or I am fat, a lot depends on how you see these things, I choose to see small booths)

Do you like beer?

barney jr
02-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Well I have lived here in Eureka for the past 41 yrs and now I'm moving to Idaho for some of the reasons listed weed,lack of growth,etc.We do have a new place called Humboldt Smokehouse that I like very much the Kansascity is my favorite sandwich and a side of potato salad and its on 5th street (101 north)by Starbucks.But be sure to grab a bottle of Ted & Barneys Meat Seasoning we are in most all of the stores around here.Enjoy Trinidad it's a nice area along the beach.

CErnst
02-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. We love our beer too. If there are any local brands to try, that'd be great too. My wife and my dad like the lighter brews. My sister and I like porters & oatmeal stouts. Mom likes IPAs. So any place that can cover a bunch of bases would be great. We are pretty much going to just hang out... I'm sure I'll be enlisted to somewhow grill. No weed stuff though, none of us do that stuff.

I know a lot of the wineries are more south...but any local wineries? We've enjoyed running around finding Missouri wineries.

barney jr
02-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Lost Coast Brewery (101 south)is a popular brewery here I don't drink at all but my wife and friends love to go there and they also have good food.6 rivers Brewery in Mckinleyville which is close to Trinidad is another good brewery right off the first hwy exit on top of the hill.I dont have any ideas about a winery I'm not into that at all.Have a fun trip and let me know if you have any other questions.

CErnst
02-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it!