PDA

View Full Version : Pork butt

Duddy55
02-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Does anyone get their pork slices and pulled pork out of the same butt for comp turn in? What's the trick besides doing seperate butts

Scuffletown Smokers
02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
My understanding of the new kcbs rule is that you can seperate after it is cooked. So you could cook your MM to where you want it and then remove it... Cook the rest of the butt to pull

McEvoy AZ
02-21-2014, 12:03 AM
I am starting to believe it is almost better to not separate and be more creative on how you shield the mm from the heat. The smaller the piece the easier it is to dry out.

rtboswell
02-21-2014, 08:01 AM
It all depends on two things: where you are getting your pulled from on the butt and how high you are willing to take the MM. I've heard of plenty of successful pork teams that get both pieces from the same butt by allowing the MM to go to a little higher temp. The higher the temp with the MM the more risk you have of it being mushy and falling apart, especially if it isn't a nicer size MM.

I got a case of pork butts at RD for .75 cents a pound so I've been experimenting a lot and I did have the first MM's I separated dry out, but nothing a little au jus didn't fix on the second test.