PDA

View Full Version : turn in boxes

hogzillas
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
For those of you who are 1 man teams for the most part, when do you make your turn in boxes & what do you do to keep them moist during that time before you use them? Any other thoughts/strategies for 1 man team for KCBS? I've done an FBA backyard by myself but only had 2 meats & did NBBQN Douglas 3 meats both some yrs ago but have been judging most of the last several yrs instead of competing

Jack Daniels
02-19-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm not a one man team, per se, but I guess I could be if I had to be. We make our boxes on Friday night, put a damp paper towel on top of the greens, close the lid and into the fridge/cooler until Saturday morning. Greens keep perfectly fine.

Ron_L
02-19-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm not a one man team, per se, but I guess I could be if I had to be. We make our boxes on Friday night, put a damp paper towel on top of the greens, close the lid and into the fridge/cooler until Saturday morning. Greens keep perfectly fine.

That's what we do, too.

Oh... Plus a spritz of cold water before the paper towel goes on.

Scottie
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
If going solo, have a timeline and stick to it

rtboswell
02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I cook solo for the most part- my wife shows up about two hours before turn-in and transfers pre-made parsley boxes into our turn-in boxes and helps with the actual boxes and running them. We make our boxes on Thursday or Friday at home and follow the same routine of spritzing it with water and placing a damp paper towel on it and putting it in a cooler or fridge. I know some people will even put it in a zip lock bag before it goes in the cooler. Hopefully you can find someone to at least run your boxes for you; if not I'd definitely aim to be on the front of the turn-in window to allow for the inevitable box that takes a little longer.

What Scottie says is super important: I have a very detailed timeline that I follow not only at a contest but the week leading up to the comp as well. I do as much as possible at home (trim meat, make injections and sauces, etc) and at a comp I do as much work as I can ahead of time (set out sauces, rubs, tear foil before I need it, etc). I cooked a few backyard division comps to get a process down and now I follow that process exactly and I find that I actually have a decent amount of downtime to hang out.

Setting up is about the most difficult thing I have to do and I can get it done in under an hour with about five minutes of help from someone I know at a comp. Don't be afraid to ask for help with stuff like rolling your smoker out of your trailer or setting up your tent.

ynotfehc
02-19-2014, 07:37 PM
I stopped using parsley, went to just green leaf. Wasnt any noticable change in appearance scores. A lot less tedious work that can be spent doing other things. I usually make them after I put ribs on, gives me more space in the coolers to keep them chilled.

hogzillas
02-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Setup shouldn't be much of a problem (BDS & WSM smokers) as I've done it many times by myself for fb tailgates just a bit on the time consuming side if by myself. I agree on the timeline & that's currently what I'm working on. I've pretty much got 2 of the meats on 1 smoker down just got to get the others down on other smoker along w/ the other prep stuff timed out to get full timeline down.

Rub
02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
One man team here. I'd like to make them Friday night but that usually doesn't happen. It's usually after chicken goes on, but has been as late as 11:30 before I started. Damp paper towel over the top and into the cooler. Get stuff done early and then be productive every moment until turn ins are done.

ITBFQ
02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
My wife helped me prep the parsley for four boxes for this past Sunday's contest while we watched a movie at home Saturday night. She usually helps out at contests, and this was her way of helping since she stayed at home with our 4 month old. Spritz of cold water, moist paper towel on top. A couple of flips and into the turn in box and you are good to go.

I highly recommend creating and sticking to a timeline as well. Sunday I got antsy, put my ribs on too early, and they got too tender on me. Stick to the timeline and have fun!

Funtimebbq
02-20-2014, 08:35 AM
As a mostly one person team, I make my boxes on Fridays in the lull between injecting/rubbing the brisket/butts and the cook's meeting. I use the same process as most have already stated with the wet paper towel and putting them in a cooler overnight.