PDA

View Full Version : Competition Trailer Good Deal or Not

arab476
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Need some input, (To make my wife feel better or worse)
I am about to order our first competition trailer and want to know iof everyone thinks its a good deal or no deal.

It is 16ft long total, 10ft enclosed box with a 6ft covered porch. The Box is insulated and covered in food grade wall cover, AC/Heat unit on top, 2 4ft lights with switch 2gfi outlets and a 50 amp box and 25 ft of lifeline. 1 4ft light on porch with gfi outlet. Dexter axles (tandem), 2 leveling jacks under the back, rails around porch with 3ft gate on curb side. 14ft awning on curbside and extra door added to curbside. The quoted price is roughly $7,500

So what does everyone think, buy or keep looking.

cpw
02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
I'd say that's a good deal. We just bought a 16' long enclosed, walls insulated and covered, no AC, no electrical, vending window and a few extras and paid roughly $5k.

PekingPorker
02-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Is this a new price? I've been pricing them out and this is the general price range I am seeing for the options you have mentioned if new. Make sure to Google the company you're buying from. I've read a lot of bad reviews from some of the companies in GA (and obviously I'll be buying in GA). I'm leaning towards Diamond Cargo.

Also, how tall is it? Height is important, I wouldn't do anything below 6'6 at a minimum.

Pig Headed
02-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Is it new or used. If used, what condition is it in. What brand? Need more information.

arab476
02-19-2014, 04:02 PM
It is new with a 78in height, 8.5ft wide. The company is http://www.colonycargo.com/ so if anyone has a horror story let me know PLEASE.

PekingPorker
02-19-2014, 04:28 PM
It is new with a 78in height, 8.5ft wide. The company is http://www.colonycargo.com/ so if anyone has a horror story let me know PLEASE.

Price sounds really good, but I advise do some research. I don't know anyone who personally has one, but google search "colony cargo review" The first three links do not say kind things. That's why I crossed them off my list.

QN
02-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Suggest you do a Google search for colony cargo trailer reviews. There are some pretty negative things out there about them. Also, do a google search for their address (listed on their web site). Look at the satllite view of their facility. I have no personal experence with this company and just did these two simple searhes to learn more about them. Good luck with your trailer purchase. Caveat emptor

QN
02-19-2014, 04:40 PM
You might want to look at Extreme BBQ Trailers. James Stephens is a brethren and there are multiple threads on this site about his trailers. See http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67 He is in Cordova, TN; just east of Memphis.
Good luck!

arab476
02-19-2014, 05:16 PM
I will be checking them out but the BBB rates them an A and only shows 2 complaints in 3 years.

dosvans
02-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Is this a new price? I've been pricing them out and this is the general price range I am seeing for the options you have mentioned if new. Make sure to Google the company you're buying from. I've read a lot of bad reviews from some of the companies in GA (and obviously I'll be buying in GA). I'm leaning towards Diamond Cargo.

Also, how tall is it? Height is important, I wouldn't do anything below 6'6 at a minimum.

Beware of Diamond Cargo!! I bought a custom BBQ trailer from them through a local distributor. The trailer had so many issues, and the distributor had to take back the trailer to them to try and get the issues fixed. Long story short, the distributor just kept the Diamond trailer and ordered me a new trailer through Horton Haulers (also out of GA). The one from Horton was a much better product.

arab476
02-19-2014, 05:30 PM
http://www.bbb.org/columbus-georgia/Business-Reviews/trailers-repair-and-service/colony-cargo-in-fitzgerald-ga-91801645/complaints#breakdown

arab476
02-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Just sent my spec sheet and quote from colony cargo to Horton Haulers- They are 3 hr closer.

PekingPorker
02-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Beware of Diamond Cargo!! I bought a custom BBQ trailer from them through a local distributor. The trailer had so many issues, and the distributor had to take back the trailer to them to try and get the issues fixed. Long story short, the distributor just kept the Diamond trailer and ordered me a new trailer through Horton Haulers (also out of GA). The one from Horton was a much better product.

Thanks for the heads up! I know Horton has a great reputation, and I suppose its just like the old saying, "you get what you pay for".

cpw
02-20-2014, 07:40 AM
I bought a Diamond Cargo, and other than a few nitpicky things, it's been good so far. You can check out my build thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176694&highlight=buyin+trailer

RumRunner_1492
02-20-2014, 08:08 AM
You could always spend a little more and pick up a toy hauler. That is the route I went. It includes a full kitchen, 2 bed, a full bath, heat, air conditioning and much more.

dosvans
02-20-2014, 08:16 AM
I bought a Diamond Cargo, and other than a few nitpicky things, it's been good so far. You can check out my build thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176694&highlight=buyin+trailer

The only difference is that I had them do the electrical, water package, AC, etc., and that's where my problems were. As a bare bones trailer, they look good. It's there customization beyond that point that I was disappointed with.

cpw
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
The only difference is that I had them do the electrical, water package, AC, etc., and that's where my problems were. As a bare bones trailer, they look good. It's there customization beyond that point that I was disappointed with.

Now I'm glad I opted to do those myself!

arab476
02-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Colony Cargos complaint had to do with the upgrades on a full kitchen such as Hood vents and a wrong size generator. He didn't say anything about the trailer itself. So they maybe okay being that all I want is the AC/Heat and the lights and plugs. Don't know still worried.

RumRunner_1492
02-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Colony Cargos complaint had to do with the upgrades on a full kitchen such as Hood vents and a wrong size generator. He didn't say anything about the trailer itself. So they maybe okay being that all I want is the AC/Heat and the lights and plugs. Don't know still worried.

Nothing is more expensive than making a mistake and wishing you had bought something else after it's too late. Given the reviews I read on a quick google search I would be concerned as well.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

dosvans
02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
When I decide to move up to a new porch trailer, I'm definitely going to consider Extreme BBQ Trailers. Yes they are very expensive, but I will have to say that I've never heard anyone complain about them. The workmanship on the one's that I have seen were impressive. Anybody here have any experience with them?

CivilWarBBQ
02-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Have Scott Smith give you a quote. He's out of the Atlanta area, cooks as Que'n, Stew'n & Brew'n and makes the Southern Q Smokers. He's done the porch trailers used by a bunch of teams so you can ask around at any comp. Works with Freedom out of South Georgia - they will build you exactly what you want, and Scott will give you a good price.

http://www.southernqsmokers.com/

Disclaimer: SouthernQ sponsors my cook team.

wjwheeler
02-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Ditto on Scott Smith and Freedom Trailers. Scott has been selling and competing out of these trailers for about four years. They are constantly improving the trailers and have proven to be a good value for your investment.

arab476
02-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Talked to Scott Smith, and let me just say thanks to everyone for the tip!!! Think I have a new dealer.