PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

Rusty Kettle
02-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Ok so my wife and I our getting ready to compete this year. Still waiting on the boss at work to get back about vacation time luckily the go naked bbq contest has entry open until late march. I know MABA is running this one and there is a no garnish rule but I can't find examples of boxes for MABA events with no garnish. Anyone got pics of boxes they have turned in for MABA events? Also I read you can use chicken wings for MABA events anyone do this? I really like my chicken wings but there is not a lot of meat but the taste is amazing. I am on the fence about chicken wings.Also for future reference ,as kcbs contests are more common, I read you are not required to use garnish. Anyone turn in a kcbs box without garnish? For the judges do you score higher or lower in kcbs for garnish or no garnish?

smokeacholic
02-17-2014, 08:58 AM
In a KCBS contest I would not recommend turning in a box with no garnish. Not good.

MikeJ65
02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
While KCBS judges are instructed to not judge garnish, meat just looks better on a bed of greenery that it does on white styrofoam. Make a box each way and see which looks better to you.

Rusty Kettle
02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
So kcbs always use garnish. Got it. Just curious if it was important to use garnish. Thanks for the fast replies.

Rookie'48
02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
In a KCBS contest the garnish is optional. If garnish is used the judge is supposed to look at the garnish to see if it is legal. After determining that the garnish is legal the judge is then supposed to judge the appearance of the meat only.

That is how the judges are taught in the judging class and what they are told during the judges meeting. Between the official CD/MP3 being played at each judges meeting and various web sites like BBQCritic.com I hope that all judges will do their best to do this.

That being said, it's hard to learn to ignore the green stuff in the box - but a judge can train themselves to do it :grin:.