View Full Version : What types of Permits / Licenses are required?

02-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey guys just curious about what type of permits/ leases would be needed to run a catering food concession with cooking food using smokers at the site that you will be at or using a food truck?

C Rocke
02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
The "broken record" says call your Health Dept, for the counties you will be working in, and what vehicles/equipment you specifically want to use. NY guys will surely chime in here, but it varies from State to State. Business license, Gen. Liability Insurance, Serv Safe, and Commercial Vehicle insurances are all pretty much "givens". Go get 'em!

early mornin' smokin'
02-18-2014, 09:39 AM
hey CPOT! I'm in the process of opening a brick and mortar bbq restaurant out in eastern long island. As far as food trucks go in NY they're considered mobile fast food trucks. Where most of the prep is done offsite (in an approved commissary). Cooking BBQ, onsite wouldn't be a wise decision. Takes TIME! Look into renting kitchen space from somewhere local. You'll need department of health approval on the truck. A place to park it, and a place to purchase everything/prep most things.

02-20-2014, 03:50 PM
in Nassau County they are hesitant with food trucks and would want a detailed plan. They also hate commissaries since that is the fault for one of the worst fbi outbreaks in Nassaus history.

You will need a food handler permit, and BOH approval / license. Certain towns or villages may have a issue with food trucks and that I am not aware of.

All food area would need to be protected so a open trailer would not get approved unless its for a fair or 2 or 3 day function / special permit which I think is $55. They also require 3 compartment sinks with adequate fresh and waste tanks, I don't remember the gallon-age but they were also very helpful and informative.

I would recommend calling the HD and asking for who would be relevant to approving food trucks and schedule a meeting with them.

Bring your plan and ideas with you and a notepad a paper to get their requirements and suggestions.

best of luck.