PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Take ServSafe course

NNYAJ
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to do some catering and competitions this summer so I think it would be best for me to take a ServSafe course or one like it. Are the ServSafe courses the best option or are there any others I should look at?

plethoraofpinatas
02-12-2014, 05:35 PM
I believe ServSafe is the most popular, but I don't think a food handler's license is required for any competitions.

If you plan on catering you absolutely must have insurance, a business license, and you must comply with local health department regulations. You should check with your local health department as to the requirements for your specific locality. Every state is different, even many counties within a state are different.

In northern VA, you must have a food handler's license, which you get by passing a Servsafe exam. You also must submit to regular inspections by the county health department.

HBMTN
02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
It's a great class that will make you very aware and I would recommend it to anyone who works with food.

mikerobes
02-12-2014, 06:18 PM
It's a great class that will make you very aware and I would recommend it to anyone who works with food.
I agree, my wife and I just took it. It really opens your eyes to the real dangers of food handling if done wrong .

SigSauerNY
02-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Also check with your local HD sometimes they give a county class which is similar.

Also when I graduated culinary school servsafe was not honored by NYC which doesnt recognize anything but NYC but thats a whole nother discussion.

Bootheel
02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
I started catering four years ago and as someone not originally from the F&B world I knew very little so I really tried to locate the best training/test prep available. I found the ServSafe online course and found it very informative and helpful. I was more than adequately prepared for the test which I found to be easy (first time for everything!)

Also I agree with the points that Stephen made...I also live in Northern VA and actually found the health department very open and willing to give me the info I needed. Which really surprised me b/c I expected something more like the DMV! I've never heard of a certification needed for any comps unless you're giving samples to the public.

One simple thing to remember about food safety, wash your hands...a lot!

Hope this helps.

David
Bootheel BBQ

ButtBurner
02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
after reading this, I just did the free sample Servsafe course on hand washing

very interesting.

I am going to buy the whole course, its not much money. Would be good to know just for my own home use

NNYAJ
02-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone! Ya I want to take it to learn more about FS for the future in case I do end up trying the catering route.