PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to Freeze Ribs

Wornslick
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I went to a local butcher shop yesterday as they were having a sale on Baby Back ribs and ended up buying 6 slabs. They came 3 to a cry-o-vac package. I need 3 racks for a party in about 3 months so I am going to freeze one pack as they are. The other package I need to separate and freeze. What is the best way to wrap? Wrap in plastic and freeze or wrap in plastic then aluminum foil then freeze? I also have freezer bags but no vacuum system. Thanks,

mikerobes
02-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Invest in a vacuum sealer, in the meantime,your freezer bags would be the best option, since they won't be under vacuum, they will burn after a few months, use as quickly as you can

Wornslick
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Invest in a vacuum sealer, in the meantime,your freezer bags would be the best option, since they won't be under vacuum, they will burn after a few months, use as quickly as you can

Thanks, just finished separating and freezing, I will be using them in a couple of months. I will look into a vacuum sealer, been wanting one anyhow.

mikerobes
02-09-2014, 05:17 PM
If you can swing it, the Vacmaster V112 is an excellent unit, the bags are penny's,it does liquids like chili and spaghetti sauce. Best investment we made. You can vac seal your leftover Que and it will keep for a very long time, Websturant has the best price I found.

cynfulsmokersbbq
02-12-2014, 11:22 AM
If you can swing it, the Vacmaster V112 is an excellent unit, the bags are penny's,it does liquids like chili and spaghetti sauce. Best investment we made. You can vac seal your leftover Que and it will keep for a very long time, Websturant has the best price I found.

How does this vac. work? is it considered a chamber vac, or does it work like a foodsaver? do you use foodsaver bags with it?

mikerobes
02-12-2014, 06:14 PM
How does this vac. work? is it considered a chamber vac, or does it work like a foodsaver? do you use foodsaver bags with it?

It is a chamber vac, a commercial unit made for home use. Food-saver cannot vacuum liquid, this thing can do soup. I buy bags for 50- 80 dollars a thousand, depending on size.i also cook a lot of Sous Vide food,so mine gets a lot of use year round. Best thing ever for sealing leftover Que.savings on bags alone will pay for itself over time,food saver bags are pricey

Jack Daniels
02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Food-saver cannot vacuum liquid, this thing can do soup.
I would have to disagree with this comment. I have a food saver and have vacuum sealed numerous liquid items including sauces and stocks. Yes it requires that you be careful but it can absolutely do liquids.

mikerobes
02-13-2014, 04:44 AM
I would have to disagree with this comment. I have a food saver and have vacuum sealed numerous liquid items including sauces and stocks. Yes it requires that you be careful but it can absolutely do liquids.

other than pre freezing liquids, I dont know how it can be accomplished in bags on the foodsaver. I have tries many times, and never got a good seal. I must be doing it wrong. If their is a technique, could you share? I use my food saver occasional, but rarely now.