PDA

View Full Version : Backyard/Armature Comps In the Midwest

Porcine Perfection
02-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I keep reading in different threads of a backyard division at comps. I would like to do a few of these low cost comps to work on my timing. However I see nothing about this on any of the comps in my area. (Kansas City) Am I missing something?

New Pal Frank
02-07-2014, 04:06 AM
If you go to the KCBS BBQ web site, there you will find a complete list of all KCBS ran contest, you and search bay state. Just go th the web site linked contest pages and some will have an application for a backyard division.

Robert
02-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Backyard is not a very popular event in the Midwest. Backyard is generally a downsized event with just chicken and ribs. If you are wanting to work on your timing, I suggest that you go to a regular cook-off and just do those two meats. At least you will get the benefit of better judging and you will also get to see how you stack up against seasoned cooks. Some, not all, have the various categories cost broken down versus pay all. As suggested above, use the KCBS website and search under the events tab. Look for the events closest to your homes and click on the events website for an entry form. That entry form should have give you an idea how much it will cost to enter the cook-off.

Good luck,

Robert

Burnt at Both Endz
02-07-2014, 06:07 AM
The best/cheapest way of working on timing is at home. Find some neighbors that will pay for the meat, then cook chicken and ribs a few times together. Cook the big meats (PB,brisket) together a few times. Then when you have that timing down, put them all together for a practice cook. Adjust as needed then.

The downfall of doing backyard in this area is the difference in judges, sometimes they aren't CBJ's. Hard to learn that way!

Remember to have fun.

MikeJ65
02-07-2014, 07:52 AM
We have a fair number of backyard events in the Omaha area, but they can be difficult to find. In our area, they are not part of KCBS events and are not listed on the KCBS site. Look for county fairs and town or neighborhood festivals. Most, however, will not be 4 meat contests, so they would be good for practicing a couple of meats but not much use to get timing down.

Rub'n Wood BBQ
02-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I have not seen many in the KC area. I cook about 4-5 per year around kc and have not come across any with a backyard division. I tend to stick to KCBS comps so there may be other local ones that I missed.

If you are looking to just work on timing, shoot me a PM. Halfsies on a comp and splitting meats for practice could be an idea.

ITBFQ
02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
In the most recent KCBS Bullsheet, they listed a lot of KCBS sanctioned contests that have backyard/amateur events tied to them. You may want to check that out. If I read the meeting notes correctly, they are moving towards promoting more backyard events, too, which would be great for guys like us that are happy sticking with backyard/amateur types of comps.

Porcine Perfection
02-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I have not seen many in the KC area. I cook about 4-5 per year around kc and have not come across any with a backyard division. I tend to stick to KCBS comps so there may be other local ones that I missed.

If you are looking to just work on timing, shoot me a PM. Halfsies on a comp and splitting meats for practice could be an idea.

I might just do that if we ever thaw out. Thanks!

ModelMaker
02-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Here in Iowa the Iowa BBQ Society keeps a list of sanctioned and non-snationed events in the state. Don't know about Kansas or MO.
Ed

EverettBBQ
02-08-2014, 10:13 AM
The best/cheapest way of working on timing is at home. Find some neighbors that will pay for the meat, then cook chicken and ribs a few times together. Cook the big meats (PB,brisket) together a few times. Then when you have that timing down, put them all together for a practice cook. Adjust as needed then.

The downfall of doing backyard in this area is the difference in judges, sometimes they aren't CBJ's. Hard to learn that way!

Remember to have fun.

Our team practices one or two times a month.
Not only will you improve your timing, you can work on your taste.
Remember, trying new things at a competition event is the kiss of death:doh:
We always have a fun time:biggrin1:
Ya we did a brisket last Saturday.
Was cold here in KC, but we had a blast:caked:

Blueislandbbq
02-08-2014, 11:44 PM
The backyard events are becoming more and more popular around the Chicago are as we do about 15 backyard style cook off's. Most are right along side with kcbs. I finally think that KCBS people have seen the light on how to grow the sport. Not everyone can spend $250 for entry plus all the food but want to compete. This is the best thing that towns and event holders can do is offer a backyard cook off. Good luck finding some in your area.

BobWaltersBBQ
02-09-2014, 08:42 PM
We have a backyard event, not very popular at all. But it's there for our local people that are teetering on that line of whether or not they are going to get to it with the big dogs.