PDA

View Full Version : Butt or Picnic

Fishin4bass723
02-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Which do you use in comps? I just picked up a Picnic but have never cooked one, is it different than a butt?

rtboswell
02-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Yes a picnic is different: it is the lower part of the shoulder and the pork butt is the upper part of the shoulder. In some sanctioning bodies the whole shoulder is used; in KCBS (what I cook) the butt is predominately used. If you are cooking KCBS I'd definitely use a pork butt because of the parts that are normally put in the box from that piece of meat.

The picnic is still good for pulled pork, but it has a slightly different taste and texture and less fat content since it is connected to the leg which is a frequently used muscle. It is generally cheaper, but you have to factor in that you will usually get part the upper part of the leg and some skin which basically is waste for me.

MikeJ65
02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I would say that 99% of all KCBS pork cooked is butts, 1% picnics. Not saying that there aren't any good cuts in one or that no top teams use them, they are just not very common. Around here they are pretty hard to find. I've heard that is because they all go into Spam.

triplezip
02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
You may want to experiment with the picnic a bit. It's a little leaner than a butt, but also has some great flavor. I wouldn't turn in a picnic only-box, but mixing it into the butt meat (that sounds weird) can enhance the flavor. You just need to determine whether you like the end result for judging. But like some others impied, if you want to play it safe, stick with the butt.