PDA

View Full Version : Saucing your brisket, yay or nay?

TailGateJoecom
02-03-2014, 01:23 AM
So I haven't been applying any type of glaze or sauce to my brisket. Am I hurting my chances?

Smokin Hoggz
02-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I don't know, because I don't know what your brisket tastes like(and that's not being an a$$), If you think it will compliment the flavor of your brisket then add it, if not, don't. It's one of those things you'll have to experiment with and practice. For us it all depends on how the brisket comes out, if I think it needs sauce I will add it, if not, I won't.

nukenight
02-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Where is/are the contests going to be held? When I cook in east Texas, I put NO sauce on the brisket at all. I've heard it often there that "brisket is never sweet". The farther east and north you get from Texas, the more judges seem to want sauce. That is my experience.

bignburlyman
02-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Up until a couple of years ago when I judged I rarely saw sauced brisket. The last few years more and more entries are being sauced, some heavily :wacko: .

bbq.tom
02-03-2014, 07:25 AM
The meat needs to have a light sheen on it or it will look dry for the Appearance score. As far as the sauce flavoring the meat, as a judge I'd prefer JUST the beef brisket flavor and not other flavorings; HOWEVER, I will set aside my personal preferences and judge the meat as presented!

5string
02-03-2014, 07:34 AM
As a judge I prefer not to see any sauce on brisket unless it's cubes from the point. (faux burnt ends) The very last thing I want to see (or taste) is beef broth poured onto the slices.

bignburlyman
02-03-2014, 07:39 AM
The meat needs to have a light sheen on it or it will look dry for the Appearance score. As far as the sauce flavoring the meat, as a judge I'd prefer JUST the beef brisket flavor and not other flavorings; HOWEVER, I will set aside my personal preferences and judge the meat as presented!

I wanted to say this but could not get the words to look right, you said it right. I don't sauce any brisket I cook, because that is the way I like it. I don't score down when judgeing sauced brisket just because it is sauced.

TailGateJoecom
02-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I should have added my region, we are talking about mostly the north east/ mid atlantic.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far!

YankeeBBQ
02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Judges love sauce but either they don't know it or they don't want their fellow judges to know it. Sauce the back of the slices where it won't be seen but the flavor will come through. This might be a secret so don't tell anyone that I told you. :twitch:

Offthehook
02-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm a newbie but au jus from the foil with the fat separated out seems popular

Jorge
02-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Judges love sauce but either they don't know it or they don't want their fellow judges to know it. Sauce the back of the slices where it won't be seen but the flavor will come through. This might be a secret so don't tell anyone that I told you. :twitch:

What's next, sprinkling MSG back there too?!

Dex
02-04-2014, 07:55 AM
For us, a little bit of sauce concoction is mixed in with my Au jus just to slightly thicken it up so sticks to the outside of the slices a little better after I brush it and keeps its shine

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ndexter/20130914_145048.jpg

cpw
02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
For us, a little bit of sauce concoction is mixed in with my Au jus just to slightly thicken it up so sticks to the outside of the slices a little better after I brush it and keeps its shine

Same here. Just a tiny bit of sauce mixed in with the jus concoction for the slices.

Burnt ends get a pretty good hit of sauce.

Uomograsso
02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I'll add my $0.02 worth. For me as a judge it is a meat contest first. Any sauce added must compliment, but not over power the meat. It must be balanced so the the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I'll add my $0.02 worth. For me as a judge it is a meat contest first. Any sauce added must compliment, but not over power the meat. It must be balanced so the the whole is greater than the sum of all the parts.

Thanks for the input #6.

Alexa RnQ
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
To tell the truth, we've won brisket with sauce, and without.
Judges will (mostly) reward a perfectly cooked brisket and forgive if it's got a light application of a complementary sauce, but all the sauce in the world won't save a wooden brisket.

Candy Sue
02-06-2014, 08:53 AM
What's next, sprinkling MSG back there too?!

Garlic salt...

John Bowen
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
The best I have ever done is brisket is 11 and we sauced it.

My concern comes from the period of time between turn in and when the judges actually taste the meat. This past few months I have been testing my brisket slices by letting them sit 15 min. and then 30 min and there is a big difference in the moisture.

We are starting this season off with a light sauce to see if it helps us.

bbq.tom
02-06-2014, 10:02 AM
My concern comes from the period of time between turn in and when the judges actually taste the meat. This past few months I have been testing my brisket slices by letting them sit 15 min. and then 30 min and there is a big difference in the moisture.

Turn your brisket in with one minute left in the 10-minute window and your box should be on a table being viewed within 8-10 minutes of turn-in, with actual taste/tenderness scoring shortly thereafter. Therefore, the amount of time that your brisket sits on your cutting board is on you, while the time after turn-in before sampling shouldn't be more than about 15 minutes.

Podge
02-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Always thinly sauce. Same on all meats. I sauce to "color with paint".. not so much for flavor. I let the rub, smoke, quality of the meat, juiciness and the tenderness be the standouts.