PDA

View Full Version : Brisket help

Tinybud
01-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've posted. Real quick, I closed up my small restaurant to take the job of pitmaster for a large BBQ restaurant. The way I did things small scale at my place worked well. The new place since I'm dealing with allot of staff, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do our brisket to get out to the customers. Right now , I've dummied it down, slicing brisket cold then dropping into an au jus to reheat, only take a minute or two. But it loses allot of flavor that way. I'm smoking full packers overnight in a southern pride 750. I'm looking for recommendation on handling the briskets after they are smoked, that is simple enough to teach someone, as I'm not at the restaurant all day everyday. Thanks .

fat heads bbq
01-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Here is a statement from marubozo. here is the link to his thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161123

Winston HC4009 cvap. The cvap is amazing. Big cuts like butts and brisket can hold in there for 10 hours and come out as fresh and moist as if you pulled it right from the smoker.

marubozo
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks, fat heads.

Yes, I'm smoking briskets overnight and pull first thing in the morning to go into the CVAP. They will hold perfectly there all day if needed, but the morning briskets are just for lunch and come out of that as if they just came out of the smoker.

bjbbq
02-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys,
Holding brisket works well for me as I have found during testing I have been doing while getting ready to open my joint in a couple weeks. Like Marabozo, I throw the brisket in at night (7pm) and it was ready at 10am. It came out amazing and all those who came thru the restaurant that day agreed that it was simply the best they had ever had. Since I am not open yet, the people who were tasting were vendors, contractors and a couple friends and employees.

That brisket went into my cook and hold oven and stayed there all day till 8pm. It then went into the cooler overnight and came back out and went back into the oven at 8am. On this second day it was tasted by several other people who all were amazed. That night it went back into the cooler and then back into the oven the following morning. At lunch time a few of my workers and myself finished off the last few slices. So after 48 hours of being held, it was still really good and honestly could beat my competition easily.
So for me, I let them rest for a short time and wrap and throw in the hold oven at 160F. They will hold all day with little to no loss in texture or taste. I also NEVER cut a brisket till it is ready to be plated.

Just my 2 cents

SigSauerNY
02-09-2014, 07:35 AM
How does the SP 750 cook. One just came on the market near me but I was about to finalize a ole hickory pit.

stokestackbbq
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Here is a statement from marubozo. here is the link to his thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161123

Winston HC4009 cvap. The cvap is amazing. Big cuts like butts and brisket can hold in there for 10 hours and come out as fresh and moist as if you pulled it right from the smoker.

Let me ask you- is there anything about the Winston in particular that makes it hold the meat so well? It's crazy expensive, and I see other holding cabinets (with humidity control) for a third of that price on the internet.

rickwatson
03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
hows the best way to slice a brisket for tenderness

Pyle's BBQ
03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
hows the best way to slice a brisket for tenderness

Always cut the slices across the grain of the meat.