View Full Version : A comp, is a comp is a............

01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey Brethern! Having my first comp coming up in March, and not knowing what to expect.... Here's one for the veterans......in your experience, is the profile of your Q dictated by the sanctioning association, ie ibca etc, or are judges just judges and looking for the "sweet" stuff?

01-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Better to say what sanctioning body you are cooking for, especially in Texas. It does vary and none will score you well if you turn in candy.

01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure about cross sanctioning bodies flavor like/dislikes. I know KCBS is pretty similar to FBA and a few others. Texas ibca I don't have experience with, but have heard they don't like it as sweet. More important advice I got when starting out was that learning to cook the meat to the correct tenderness was more important than flavors. Not that flavor isn't important, but if the food isn't tender it doesn't matter what flavors are on there as your flavor scores will suffer. But cook the meat correctly and there are many different flavors (rubs/sauces) that work well together in multiple combinations.

01-30-2014, 03:52 PM
IBCA event Fort Worth tx

01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I guess Humans are different in texas?

01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Hey smokesignals if you want you can come out to the IBCA one on the 22nd of Feb. in Irving if you want to check it out. That will be my first one but I know a couple of cook teams that will be out there I'm sure they will answer any of your questions.

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
In IBCA you can taste the top ten entries.

The main difference in styles is IBCA has to taste good cold.

Smoke'n Ice
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
IBCA - It's Best Cooked Alot. They sample with a knife and fork when judging and are not allowed to touch the meat with their, gasp, fingers. The judges are normal folk off the street and the local taste is what you cater to.

KCBS ribs that offer a tug and then pull clean don't make it in IBCA nor does brisket that holds together and then release with a gentle pull.

If cooking the FTW Sam's then KCBS rules apply, if cooking IBCA, over cook and hide the Sweet Baby Ray sauce where the receiving person at the turn in desk can't see it.

01-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Im making plans to be there! Ill pm you as it gets closer to possibly get a contact #....?

01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
Im making plans to be there! Ill pm you as it gets closer to possibly get a contact #....?

Good luck in your first contest!

01-31-2014, 08:02 AM
You can call me at my work, Leave a message if we cant make it to the phone
800-466-8134 and ask for me. I'm in Burleson if your out this way you can swing by
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=12217+J.+Re&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS418US418&q=12217+J+Rendon+Rd%2C+Burleson%2C+TX+&gs_l=hp.. Jambo's BBQ Shack and his competition pits are just down the road, Jamie is a nice guy his place is always packed.

01-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Tenderness is the biggest factor, outside of that just don't offend anyone, too sweet, too spicy, too salty, I have seen middle of the road in flavor win numerous times.

Full Draw BBQ
01-31-2014, 01:03 PM
in my humble opinion, IBCA judging is jacked up, so it's completely hit and miss. With that said.......go the Irving Elks Lodge comp and walk around/chat. Then make sure you are there for the awards......after they are complete you can walk up and see/taste the top 10 in each category. It will tell you exactly what you need to shoot for! Good luck!

01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
All good advice above, I highly recommend going to a comp. where you can help judge.. specifically final tables if possible. Usually you just show up and you'll be able to judge. The tricky thing with IBCA, is the judges can be anybody off the street, so you never know what they like.. some city folks might like a little sweet while others don't want "pretty", they like it more old school and smokey. So cook accordingly :twitch:

01-31-2014, 02:04 PM
in my humble opinion, IBCA judging is jacked up, so it's completely hit and miss.

The tasting good cold is a little jacked, but the beauty of it is that it's judged by people with no preconceived notion of what they should be looking for, other than obvious factors. I also like the way it's judged in a playoff type of system.. not just a table of 6 judges. But then again that's why the food has to taste good cold. But in the end, the top cooks usually end up at the top anyways. It is what it is... :wink: