PDA

View Full Version : Conflict of Interest?

MikeJ65
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm planning on judging a couple of contests this year, but scheduling is difficult because of competing and not being able to 'lock into' a judging spot at most contests. I'm thinking about signing up to judge one of the Sam's local events, since I can sign up tomorrow and have a certain date. However, I am also competing in the Sam's series.

Does anyone see this as a conflict of interest? If you think of it as just another contest, there is obviously not an issue. But if you think of it as judging in a tournament that I am also competing it, it gets into a grey area for me.

I see that the rules allow judging in a different region than you are competing in.

cpw
01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
It's and easy answer for me...if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it. Personally I don't think it'd be a problem if you're judging in another region than the one your competing in, and just make sure you judge fairly.

FatCoyote
01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
+1 for CPW.....

Jason TQ
01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
If the rules allow it then I see no issue at all. KCBS apparently doesn't have an issue with it. Unless you are going to try to hose everyone at the event you are judging, which at the end of the day probably doesn't give you much more of an advantage anyways. So then in the case of deliberately trying to hose you probably shouldn't go :-P. But not trying to hose then judge away :clap2:.

EMTTLC
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm cooking Charleston, and going to try to judge Lexington. One can't affect the other, so I see no problem with it. I do like that they aren't allowing you to judge in the same region your cooking. Kinda keeps honest people honest.

Coz
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Up until this year you were allowed to judge another in the same region .There was a lot of bitchin last year when folks found out I was going to judge in Woodbury . W were slated to compete in Madison. I don't think others new this was going on a lot before it was discussed in my circumstance .For what its worth after qualifying I withdrew from judging the next weekend .At least now its out in the open and theres a ruling . I say go for it.

Q-Dat
01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Unless you think theres a realistic possibility that you might actually recognize someone's entry, then I can't see where there's a problem.

Rookie'48
01-29-2014, 12:39 AM
I see no conflict at all. Your cooking in one, judging in another - where's the problem? If the rules say that you can do it then you're gold, but if you still have doubts, get hold of Troy Black.

bbq.tom
01-29-2014, 08:30 AM
The appearance of impropriety is not worth the potential discord IMHO. I am sure that you have only good intentions where it comes to judging an event; however, SOMEONE undoubtedly will claim that you “could” give the best samples at your table the lowest scores to eliminate the “good” competition you might face later at Regionals or at the Finals. Realizing that you are only one of thirty judges in a SAMs Club event, and the lowest score at each table is thrown out, but perception is reality so some.

MikeJ65
01-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just didn't want to do it if it was something people would be upset about. Honestly, the Sam's locals wouldn't be my first choice for judging, but I like that I can sign up and know I am in. One of my pet peeves with KCBS is that they don't do more to make team and judging registration easier. Just making the organizers provide pdf forms on the KCBS site would be a start.

As an example, there is a contest less than two months away that I am looking at. No website and I emailed the organizer three days ago and have not gotten a response. I know I can call him, but it really shouldn't be that hard. Judging is worse, since you can send in a stack of applications and have no idea what you are getting until months later.

Jason TQ
01-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just didn't want to do it if it was something people would be upset about. Honestly, the Sam's locals wouldn't be my first choice for judging, but I like that I can sign up and know I am in. One of my pet peeves with KCBS is that they don't do more to make team and judging registration easier. Just making the organizers provide pdf forms on the KCBS site would be a start.

As an example, there is a contest less than two months away that I am looking at. No website and I emailed the organizer three days ago and have not gotten a response. I know I can call him, but it really shouldn't be that hard. Judging is worse, since you can send in a stack of applications and have no idea what you are getting until months later.

Judge it. It is totally legal. Heck after you posted this I'm trying to see if there is an Sam's event local (but in the same regional I'm competing in) that I could judge :-D. I don't have many opportunities to judge since I want to compete in everything, but his may be my option for this year especially because you know definitely through the registration that you will get in.

Worrying what a few random people whom you might not even know think about something that KCBS says is legal doesn't matter. The people that know me wouldn't care if I did it. And if there were people that didn't know me and this made them judge me (all pun intended :caked:) then oh well, there are greater tragedies in the world :mrgreen:. Go on brother. Judge away! :clap2:

BoneDaddy's
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Is there a link to register to judge a Sam's event?

MikeJ65
01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Is there a link to register to judge a Sam's event?

It opens tonight at 7 central time. I think they just add a judges column to this page, but I'm not sure. http://www.kcbs.us/samstour/

Nordy
01-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm all for cooks getting a feel for things by judging... I've done it... BUT... as a cook... I hate when cooks are judges.

If it's legal and you want to, go for it...

I know when I judge it's hard to separate "mine is better than this" from actually judging what is presented as it is presented. Good or bad, my gut feeling is us cooks are much tougher judges to please at a table...

Nordy

ribsrdone
01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I just read over the Sam's Club rules. Rule #8: Competitors who wish to judge at events may do so provided that they are not judging in the same Region where they are also competing.

Pretty clear for this series of contests. I don't know of any problem with other competitions.

CBQ
01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm all for cooks getting a feel for things by judging... I've done it... BUT... as a cook... I hate when cooks are judges.

If it's legal and you want to, go for it...

I know when I judge it's hard to separate "mine is better than this" from actually judging what is presented as it is presented. Good or bad, my gut feeling is us cooks are much tougher judges to please at a table...

Nordy

Probably a whole different thread there. :becky: I am primarily a cook, but also a CBJ. When I do judge, on the occasions when I have been privy to what the other judges scored, I find my scoring is generally more generous than the non-cooking judges. Since I know what's involved, I tend to take degree of difficultly into account, and I will recognize the craftsmanship in a well put together box. As a caveat, I normally cook and judge in the "We have 4's and we aren't afraid to use them!" northeast.

I just read over the Sam's Club rules. Rule #8: Competitors who wish to judge at events may do so provided that they are not judging in the same Region where they are also competing.

Pretty clear for this series of contests. I don't know of any problem with other competitions.

Like ribsrdone said, it's pretty clear, go ahead and judge the other region. i wouldn't have a problem with it.