PDA

View Full Version : Comp trailer surge protection?

cpw
01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
So I've bought the new comp trailer, and I'm starting to outfit it. I bought this distribution panel/converter: http://www.dyersonline.com/parallax-7300-series-55-amp-electrical-converter-charger.html to act as the panel/12v/etc.

What I'd like to know is, do all you that have enclosed trailer/comp trailers have some sort of surge suppressor you use? I was looking at this hardwired one that also has power management:
http://www.dyersonline.com/progressive-industries-30-amp-permanent-electrical-management-system-with-remote-display.html

Or this one, that plugs into the shore power box:
http://www.dyersonline.com/progressive-industries-30-amp-portable-surge-guard-ssp-30.html

what do you think? is it even necessary?

biker.chef
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
So I've bought the new comp trailer, and I'm starting to outfit it. I bought this distribution panel/converter: http://www.dyersonline.com/parallax-7300-series-55-amp-electrical-converter-charger.html to act as the panel/12v/etc.

What I'd like to know is, do all you that have enclosed trailer/comp trailers have some sort of surge suppressor you use? I was looking at this hardwired one that also has power management:
http://www.dyersonline.com/progressive-industries-30-amp-permanent-electrical-management-system-with-remote-display.html

Or this one, that plugs into the shore power box:
http://www.dyersonline.com/progressive-industries-30-amp-portable-surge-guard-ssp-30.html

what do you think? is it even necessary?

That Parallax is what we use in our horse trailer. Work well.
We don't have a surge protector.
FWIW I can't see the need for the electrical management unit unless you're
running some spendy electronics.
That inline surge protect looks like a good idea and should protect your equipment from storms and what not.

DownHomeQue
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
im a DJ/Live Sound Technician.. I just use a Furman Voltage Regulator to do that at comps.. I would recommend to my bbq friends to check into a simple Furman Power Conditioner.. they can be had for about 100 bucks.. It will save your equipment from power surges.. if that happens it will just shut down.. not passing the surge along to your equipment..

cpw
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
That Parallax is what we use in our horse trailer. Work well.
We don't have a surge protector.
FWIW I can't see the need for the electrical management unit unless you're
running some spendy electronics.
That inline surge protect looks like a good idea and should protect your equipment from storms and what not.

Just the AC unit. From what I've read (and this of course on the websites trying to sell the equipment) is that low voltage or voltage drops can cause problems on the AC unit. I have no idea though.

Goddahavit
01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Poor power has cost me a power converter in my rv.
Its a great idea to get a surge protector, not sure it helps with low voltage situations.

Another issue i ran across is sometimes my rv trips the breaker from the comp, not all comps, just certain ones, i think its something with the gfi, but not sure.

cpw
01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Poor power has cost me a power converter in my rv.
Its a great idea to get a surge protector, not sure it helps with low voltage situations.

Another issue i ran across is sometimes my rv trips the breaker from the comp, not all comps, just certain ones, i think its something with the gfi, but not sure.

Good to know. Thanks!

Gowan
01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
A surge suppressor only blocks spikes of overvoltage, it will do absolutely nothing for undervoltage scenarios.

In my experience, the two most common problems with contest power are undervoltage and breakers that keep tripping, cutting off ALL power to your rig. Carrying your own generator of sufficient wattage to power your entire rig is the only sure solution to this problem. If you don't want to go to that expense, you can get a voltage monitor with an undervoltage alarm that will warn you when you need to cut off sensitive equipment like your AC and refrigerator. Could save you the cost of a compressor replacement.

cpw
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
A surge suppressor only blocks spikes of overvoltage, it will do absolutely nothing for undervoltage scenarios.

In my experience, the two most common problems with contest power are undervoltage and breakers that keep tripping, cutting off ALL power to your rig. Carrying your own generator of sufficient wattage to power your entire rig is the only sure solution to this problem. If you don't want to go to that expense, you can get a voltage monitor with an undervoltage alarm that will warn you when you need to cut off sensitive equipment like your AC and refrigerator. Could save you the cost of a compressor replacement.

Thanks for the info Gowan. You're suggesting going with the $100 monitor/surge supressor vs. the $35 straight surge suppressor. I do know how spotty comp power can be, but it's just not in the budget to get a generator yet, but the $100 might be worth the expense.

Cayman1
01-24-2014, 03:44 PM
We don't have a surge protector. Only issue we have had is the breakers tripping, but I have to say that all the organizers we dealt with were very good about fixing whatever caused the breaker to trip.

Gowan
01-24-2014, 06:18 PM
One other thing to keep in mind - if you put Ground Fault Interrupters in your trailer you'll want to make sure you have some way of defeating the onboard GFCI when needed. Many temporary power setups have their own GFCI, and putting two ground fault systems in series is often the cause of tripped breakers.

I've found the easiest method is to put in GFCI breakers in the trailer rather than more common GFCI wall outlets. Then carry a set of plain breakers so you can quickly swap them out if you encounter a double GFCI problem in the field. It's a lot easier to snap in a breaker module than it is to rewire!

BMerrill
01-24-2014, 08:59 PM
At a comp the critical equipment is on a backup power supply with a built in voltage regulator. If site provided power goes out, which it will at some point, the Stoker stays on and the alarm on the APS goes off. Has saved me more than once.