PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Regional Las Vegas vs Smokin in Mesquite

Chenernator
01-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Anyone find it interesting that the Las Vegas Regional is scheduled for the same weekend as Smokin' in Mesquite? I thought the board tried to avoid scheduling conflicts, though I suppose a team could go for the double header - Sam's on Saturday, Mesquite on Sunday. Anyone up for a challenge?

rooftop bbq
01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Nope I'll stick to mesquite

TooSaucedToPork
01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
This is one of the main problems I have with KCBS and the Sams Club Contests. KCBS has strict rules about the distance between contests on the same weekend. Yet Sams and the almighty dollar can break this and cause damage to established contests.

Just my 2 cents.

Smoke'n Ice
01-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Since Las Vegas is a regional, it is open by invitation only and conducted under the competitor series guidelines. Unless you cook and finish in the top 6 at one of the qualifiers located in other parts of the Western US, its a non-issue for a vast majority of the cooks who would choose to compete in Mesquite. Qualified judges on the other hand could be an issue.

If by chance, you cook and qualify at one of the qualifiers, then you have a decision to make. I made the decision last year not to compete in the regional because of a personal conflict.

Meat Man
01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
We planned on cooking at Mesquite, if we make the Regionals in Vegas we will do both.

Smokedelic
01-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Personally, I think it actually benefits Mesquite, because the Sam's Regional will bring teams to Vegas that probably would never even consider cooking Mesquite. Since they're already in the area, why not make a doubleheader out of it? There aren't too many opportunities out there to cook for $60K in prize money in one weekend.

Alexa RnQ
01-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Sams and the almighty dollar can break this and cause damage to established contests.
Just to be clear, the April date was the previously established one for the Sam's regional. The Mesquite contest had in all its prior years been held on Labor Day weekend.

As Mike noted above, there will be teams at Sam's that will be only too glad to turn one set of travel expenses into a shot at two prize funds.

Rich Parker
01-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Since Las Vegas is a regional, it is open by invitation only and conducted under the competitor series guidelines. Unless you cook and finish in the top 6 at one of the qualifiers located in other parts of the Western US, its a non-issue for a vast majority of the cooks who would choose to compete in Mesquite. Qualified judges on the other hand could be an issue.

If by chance, you cook and qualify at one of the qualifiers, then you have a decision to make. I made the decision last year not to compete in the regional because of a personal conflict.

I don't believe the regionals are a competitor series, and I thought the board voted last year that the royal and sams invitationals will have toy points.

Rich Parker
01-24-2014, 05:54 AM
This is one of the main problems I have with KCBS and the Sams Club Contests. KCBS has strict rules about the distance between contests on the same weekend. Yet Sams and the almighty dollar can break this and cause damage to established contests.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe that distance rule has been gone for a while. Kcbs now decides on team density in the area if there is enough teams to support it.

arrowhead
01-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Just to be clear, the April date was the previously established one for the Sam's regional. The Mesquite contest had in all its prior years been held on Labor Day weekend.

As Mike noted above, there will be teams at Sam's that will be only too glad to turn one set of travel expenses into a shot at two prize funds.

that is not correct. 2013 the regional in vegas was held on 4-20. 2012 the regional was held in Albuquerque on 5-12. the local in vegas was held on 4-21 and in 2011 the regional was held in north las vegas on 5-6.

back to the point of teams pulling a double header that weekend, the prize money is pretty tempting.

columbia1
01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
If we make Vegas again, odds are good that we will also do Mesquite later that weekend. On it's own I would have never ventured that far just to do Mesquite. Judges should not be a problem, Sam's club is Saturday turn-ins, while Mesquite is Sunday turn-ins.

TooSaucedToPork
01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I believe that distance rule has been gone for a while. Kcbs now decides on team density in the area if there is enough teams to support it.

That makes me happy...that was a dumb blanket rule. Rant recanted, KCBS redeems itself

Smitty250
01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
If I am lucky enough to get through to Vegas then I will make the 90 minute drive to Mesquite for a chance at $40,000 - who wouldn't?

JD McGee
01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Cook both... no problem! :cool: