PDA

View Full Version : Comp Meats

Smokesignalsfromtx
01-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Ok, this ones for the comp cookers in the DFW area. I've had enough sleepless nights wondering how ill do! I'm going to try my first comp this year. I know there's about a million questions I'll have, but I guess I'll start with these.......where do y'all buy your meats for comps? And specific cuts?

Stoke&Smoke
01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Sorry....missed the DFW area comment...oh well, will post anyway.

This should probably be moved to the competition area, but I'll give it a go.

We get most of ours from Restaurant Depot, but that's because we have one fairly close by. Last year, I had better luck with ribs from Sam's, the RD ones had a lot more really crooked ribs and shiners, but hoping that's better this year. I don't know if that was nation wide or just in this area.

For cuts, I guess it would depend on the sanctioning body. KCBS turns in chicken, ribs (spares or backs allowed), pork shoulder (picnic, Boston Butt, or whole shoulder) and brisket. There isn't a requirement for a specific cut but I'd guess 90+% are doing thighs

Many buy by the case. If you have the freezer space it's the most economical way to go

Full Draw BBQ
01-24-2014, 11:04 AM
I buy pork and brisket from RD. Chicken from Whole Foods and ribs vary. I haven't been happy with the briskets lately at RD, so I'm in the mkt for better quality and will PM you if I find anything. The pork butts at RD are great, bone in and always consistent.

DaveAlvarado
01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Country Meat Market on Lancaster just east of I820E can set you up. I don't compete yet, but they are where I buy my briskets. Only place I've found where you can buy really big ones, and they'll sell them by the case. Plus, they are where Johnny Trigg bought all those ribs for the rib contest in season 1 of BBQ Pitmasters.

I've been getting butts and ribs from the grocery store for now, but I'm investigating sources of those. No idea where to find good chickens yet.

As an aside, what organization are you competing in, and are you looking for any help?

PekingPorker
01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I also buy brisket and pork from RD (Restaurant Depot). I will buy ribs from there often as well. Chicken comes from Costco or Whole Foods. Sometimes I will buy ribs from Costco also.

Kave Dweller
01-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Last year, I had better luck with ribs from Sam's, the RD ones had a lot more really crooked ribs and shiners, but hoping that's better this year.

Same problem, the ones I bought for Libertyville had shiners 4-5 bones each slab.

Smokesignalsfromtx
01-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys! And Dave, I haven't competed yet. Gathering information about the cops for kids in Fort Worth on march 21-22 and got some buddies that wanna do it w me. If I need anyone else I'll pm u and let u know! Anyone else gunna b in this one? Their site says they had 111 entries last year. The web address is fwcops4kids.com

Scottie
01-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Same problem, the ones I bought for Libertyville had shiners 4-5 bones each slab.

That alone is worth coming to my class... All my rib wins last year came from the same place

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-25-2014, 11:58 AM
A close class that is cheap is Redneck Cookers' class. He uses the same ribs I like, but knows where to get them in DFW.

Cancer sucks is obviously a great class. Just suggesting Redneck because his class may be a good, local class for the OP.

Smokesignalsfromtx
01-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey hawg, thanks for the info on the class!! Definitely what I need to do!

Smokesignalsfromtx
01-25-2014, 05:38 PM
That alone is worth coming to my class... All my rib wins last year came from the same place

Your class?? Info?

Brandon87
02-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Ribs and brisket from Sam's. Chicken from Central Market.