PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment The Go Naked BBQ Show - THE IRONMAN (4/5-4/6/14 Greencastle, PA)

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-21-2014, 02:09 PM
The Go Naked BBQ Show - THE IRONMAN, Greencastle, PA 17225, April 4-5, 2014

Alright all you BBQ'ers! Here it is, the OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT of The Go Naked BBQ Show - the Ironman! We haven't even officially announced and we are up to 12 teams already registered! This year's event will be April 4th&5th, 2014, hosted by Mason-Dixon BBQ Services in Greencastle, PA. (www.mdbbqservices.com)

As with tradition, Go Naked means NO ELECTRIC! No Gurus, Mavericks, Pellet Smokers, Rotisseries, etc.! Just you, your pit, meat, spices, sauce, and your knowledge!

New this year is THE IRONMAN! That means you turn in what you cook - 1 Brisket, 1 Pork Butt, 1 Rack of Ribs, 7 pieces of chicken! A real challenge for the cooks!

This will be a MABA sanctioned event (www.mabbqa.com) and with all 4 meats, THIS WILL BE A QUALIFIER FOR THE JACK AND THE ROYAL!

For the official rules, registration information, and other helpful hints, visit the website at www.gnbbqshow.com.

See you soon! Keep watching for FAQ's and for a full list of rules.....

The Virginian
01-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Excellent! Reminiscent of the DeerHunter competition we had up at BBQGURU some years back (though of course Fred allowed electricity at that one). Make sure Red Todd knows about this, he won the Deerhunter, I am sure he would do this one.

Brett

trohrs123
01-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Turn ins still 6 pieces? Garnish? Electric allowed for lights radio etc?

rabidawg
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Very cool concept. I'd definitely participate if it were closer.

BBQBeaver
01-22-2014, 07:19 AM

7 pieces of chicken, no garnish, no water, no electricity but sounds like you can bring a generator.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Excellent! Reminiscent of the DeerHunter competition we had up at BBQGURU some years back (though of course Fred allowed electricity at that one). Make sure Red Todd knows about this, he won the Deerhunter, I am sure he would do this one.

Brett

Hey Brett.

Red actually competed in this event 2 years ago - we have been doing it for 4 years now, but this is the first year it will be all 4 meats and the first year it will be a qualifier. The last few years, it was a Ribs and Chicken one day event.

I don't think Red won....rib issues if I recall.....:wink:

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Yep turn-ins still 6 pcs - we do allow you to prep/cook 7 pcs of chicken - 1 to taste, the rest turn-in. The difficulty here is in the meat selection and not over/undercooking. Also the challenge of knowing how your pit works without gadgets and being able to time your cook without stay-in thermos.

No Garnish. 9x9 boxes with foil for bottom. Still have to present well.

Electric allowed at site for lights/heat/radio/etc; just nothing attached to cooker or used in prep or turn-in. No electric knives, no Mavericks, no Gurus/Stokers, no Pellet cookers, etc. If you're not sure you should be using it because it is electric or battery operated, you probably shouldn't. Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.

Can we police everyone - probably not - but all the folks who have done this in the past have participated for the challenge of doing it. It is a DQ if we catch someone though.

Goddahavit
01-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.

Glad you clarified this, not the impression i got from the flyer.

K-Train
01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Very tempted. We did last year and hat a good time

Kit R
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
So just to confirm the "no sauce" rule is no longer in place? If so, my chicken thanks you…...

trohrs123
01-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Yep turn-ins still 6 pcs - we do allow you to prep/cook 7 pcs of chicken - 1 to taste, the rest turn-in. The difficulty here is in the meat selection and not over/undercooking. Also the challenge of knowing how your pit works without gadgets and being able to time your cook without stay-in thermos.

No Garnish. 9x9 boxes with foil for bottom. Still have to present well.

Electric allowed at site for lights/heat/radio/etc; just nothing attached to cooker or used in prep or turn-in. No electric knives, no Mavericks, no Gurus/Stokers, no Pellet cookers, etc. If you're not sure you should be using it because it is electric or battery operated, you probably shouldn't. Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.

Can we police everyone - probably not - but all the folks who have done this in the past have participated for the challenge of doing it. It is a DQ if we catch someone though.

Non electric Cambro ok?

Slamdunkpro
01-22-2014, 09:27 PM
So just to confirm the "no sauce" rule is no longer in place? If so, my chicken thanks you…...
and the Judges thank you:tongue:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Non electric Cambro ok?

also no electric refrigerators correct?

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-23-2014, 10:06 AM
also no electric refrigerators correct?

what would you need that for?? If I remember correctly last couple years, it was quite chilly that weekend......

Chipper
01-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Big Chipper's will be there for our first comp of the year. Really looking forward to the format!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-23-2014, 12:43 PM

Sauce IS allowed this year!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
and the Judges thank you:tongue:

Yeah, those Judges struggled a bit last year with the no sauce rule.....

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Non electric Cambro ok?

Cambro's are fine.......

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Hey there BBQ'rs!

Attached are the Official Rules for Go Naked - THE IRONMAN. Up to 15 teams already!

MAP
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
You should add this for next year. Everything should be cooked under an overhead canopy only. no side walls and no trailers...etc

Slamdunkpro
01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
You should add this for next year. Everything should be cooked under an overhead canopy only. no side walls and no trailers...etc
Nah, next year you're getting a shovel, an axe, a 1/4 tree of hickory, a live steer, hog & chicken. Have at it.:wacko:

FatCoyote
01-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Wish I were closer, these are the best types of cooks.

rolfejr
01-24-2014, 06:04 AM
Nah, next year you're getting a shovel, an axe, a 1/4 tree of hickory, a live steer, hog & chicken. Have at it.:wacko:

Don't forget a flint and a wad of cotton to start the fire!

MAP
01-24-2014, 06:20 AM

I would be good with that :mrgreen:

mfflanigan
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
I'll be there....... :whoo:

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey BBQ'rs!

Launched the Facebook page for the Go Naked BBQ Show - IRONMAN, like us! We're going to start posting the list of teams who have signed up.

Also, our website - www.gnbbqshow.com - is also up....so check that out too!

Rusty Kettle
01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
When is the dealine for entry? I am trying to get time off from work so I can go. If I go this will be my first comp ever.

PeppermonkeyBBQ
01-29-2014, 07:35 AM
We are IN ... or at least the check is on it's way ... We have done every GoNaked and as most of you know, Eric always puts on a great competition. Last year when rumors were floating around about "Ironman" we were pretty happy. Glad it has all worked out. Incredibly happy that the no sauce but thick glaze or possibly gloppy spritz regardless how dare you turn in dry rubbed meat during a no suace competition rule is OUT!!! Happy to start the season off in Eric's back yard, as in the past, if the bonfire doesn't work out we will have our chiminea cranked and coffee at the ready for anyone that needs to stop by to warm up! See you all there!

DaveAlvarado
01-29-2014, 08:12 AM

LOL, gonna be tough getting even brisket slices with that axe. :biggrin1:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-11-2014, 11:45 AM
just sent my check in. should be fun. I wonder how many teams they are up to.

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
26 so far, I've heard, and possibly a 27th......

They are hoping for 36 or so.......

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Latest count as of Valenswine's day Feb 14, 2014 ... 28 teams!!!

Dean's Rocking Rednecks
Phil Oberholzer
Allegheny Mountain Smokers
Mo Fo Ho Smokin'
Drillin' and Grillin'
Brentwood Smokers
Late Starters
4:20 Q
Uncle Eddie's BBQ Team
Bar B-Que Mayhem
Badlands BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Appleway BBQ
Black Cat BBQ
T'N'T Dynamite BBQ
Stubborn Bull BBQ
Pot Belly BBQ
Big Chipper's BBQ
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
Little Buck's Bros. & Catering
The Inked Pig
Little Lukes
Checkered Flag 500 BBQ
Cruzen2Q
Red Bros.
Chili Dave and the Hotties
Dequello BBQ
270 Smokers

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Jenny from Black Cat said that after she wins, we'll have to call it the IRON-WOMAN Contest! She says that alcohol was involved in that declaration......ma-a-a-ybe...

Chipper
02-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Jenny from Black Cat said that after she wins, we'll have to call it the IRON-WOMAN Contest! She says that alcohol was involved in that declaration......ma-a-a-ybe...

I recollect a woman won the chili cook-off in December and the trophy reads "Chili King". So she may have a point. But "Iron-Person" just doesn't sound right.

mfflanigan
02-20-2014, 07:34 PM
thirty teams and counting..... got what it takes?

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-21-2014, 06:28 AM
I ain't skeered......

Black Cat BBQ
02-22-2014, 05:41 AM
I recollect a woman won the chili cook-off in December and the trophy reads "Chili King". So she may have a point. But "Iron-Person" just doesn't sound right.

Well....the smack talk that Eric is referencing above also took place at a chili cook-off Chip! Imagine that!! :tape2:

Looking forward to this comp, no matter who wins!! :tongue:

K-Train
02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Application was sent in today

Chipper
02-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Well....the smack talk that Eric is referencing above also took place at a chili cook-off Chip! Imagine that!! :tape2:

Looking forward to this comp, no matter who wins!! :tongue:

Same here, and let's hope it warms up a little. This will be a fun one!

Q Haven
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Going to try and make this, looks like a fun event to kick off our season.

trohrs123
02-28-2014, 10:53 AM

Hope you guys can make it...I need to shig some chicken mojo from you...either that or shig some UFO!

Ackman
02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Hope you guys can make it...I need to shig some chicken mojo from you...either that or shig some UFO!

Hmm...what happened...

"my chicken will be known as "Crack Chicken"and will be feared all over the Northeast
Hyberbole at its best!!"

:-D

MASON-DIXON BBQ
03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Wow!!! We are fully booked with 42 teams with a waiting list!!! WooHoo!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Who got the magic?
The Mojo?
The secret handshakes?

Also - come on down, there will be hundreds of pounds of free food...

Oh yeah... If you want to judge, go here for an application: http://www.gnbbqshow.com/2014%20Go%20Naked%20JUDGES%20APPLICATION.pdf

trohrs123
03-31-2014, 02:05 PM

what happened Ted, I dont see your name on the team list?