PDA

View Full Version : Status of Covington (VA) Cork and Pork Festival

planeles
01-15-2014, 06:16 AM
I know there have been many questions on whether the Covington Cork and Pork Festival will be held this year. Some people may know that Les Balgavy, who started and organized the festival the past two years, moved away from Covington to take a new position in Northern Virginia. The city manager of Covington called me on Monday evening to let me know that the city will host the competition once again. A new crop of volunteers have come onboard to start the planning. The competition has been held the past two years during the last weekend of June, but to avoid other comps and to make up for the lack of competitions in Virginia during the month of July, it is being planned for the middle of the month. Although I moved away from the city and will only be minimally involved in the organizing, I sincerely hope our past competitors will again support the city and its efforts to bring this festival to the Alleghany Highlands. I suspect updates with paperwork will be posted to the website in about 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, feel free to email your questions to corkandpork@gmail.com and I will be sure to get those forwarded.

Red Valley BBQ
01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
I received an email today from the city manager. He said that he should have the final details on Thursday afternoon and that they are leaning towards the last weekend in June. Will post more info once I receive it, unless someone beats me to it.

Kit R
01-16-2014, 06:29 AM
I know there have been many questions on whether the Covington Cork and Pork Festival will be held this year. Some people may know that Les Balgavy, who started and organized the festival the past two years, moved away from Covington to take a new position in Northern Virginia. The city manager of Covington called me on Monday evening to let me know that the city will host the competition once again. A new crop of volunteers have come onboard to start the planning. The competition has been held the past two years during the last weekend of June, but to avoid other comps and to make up for the lack of competitions in Virginia during the month of July, it is being planned for the middle of the month. Although I moved away from the city and will only be minimally involved in the organizing, I sincerely hope our past competitors will again support the city and its efforts to bring this festival to the Alleghany Highlands. I suspect updates with paperwork will be posted to the website in about 3-4 weeks. In the meantime, feel free to email your questions to corkandpork@gmail.com and I will be sure to get those forwarded.

A thought on date for this comp. With the cancellation of Bluemont for 2014 and Hogging It Up in Winchester already scheduled for the last Saturday of June, maybe the organizers could consider the last week of July (Bluemont's usual date). Deconflicting with Winchester would make Covington doable for us, and probably a lot more teams as well. I don't think there are any other conflicts in the immediate area on that date, but correct me if I am wrong.

planeles
01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
Kit,
I am trying hard to get them to move it to mid-July (the weekend of the 18th) because there are no other comps in NC or MD that weekend! Although I was the creator of the comp, I won't be involved in it this year, but really want this festival to be successful. I will continue to push to have it moved from the last weekend in June. BTW...I'm next to you now in Warrenton.
Les

Kit R
01-16-2014, 07:36 AM
Kit,
I am trying hard to get them to move it to mid-July (the weekend of the 18th) because there are no other comps in NC or MD that weekend! Although I was the creator of the comp, I won't be involved in it this year, but really want this festival to be successful. I will continue to push to have it moved from the last weekend in June. BTW...I'm next to you now in Warrenton.
Les

Les that's great! You should come out to our place on Feb. 8. We are hosting the 1st Annual Real Virginia Real Chili Cook Off. Proceeds benefit the Lustgarten Foundation for pancreatic cancer research. Compete or be a judge: we can use both! Contact me here via PM for details.

planeles
01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
I may show up....it's in Midland, right? Since we just moved here, I think that's close to Catlett.

Kit R
01-17-2014, 09:17 AM
I may show up....it's in Midland, right? Since we just moved here, I think that's close to Catlett.

Yes in Midland by the airport.