PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Competition Briskets

lazyjacres
01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Do any of you freeze briskets that you use for competition? If so how long?
I'm torn between ordering the briskets that I need for this year, or eating the additional cost of getting them before each competition.
What say you?

cpw
01-14-2014, 11:31 AM
The wagyu briskets are shipped frozen, so I leave them that way until I need them for a contest. I'd think that if a wagyu can be frozen, any other brisket shouldn't have any issues.

columbia1
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
We started ordering in bulk last year and freezing after we aged them, did not seem to effect our scores.

Jorge
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Do any of you freeze briskets that you use for competition? If so how long?
I'm torn between ordering the briskets that I need for this year, or eating the additional cost of getting them before each competition.
What say you?

If they are coming to you frozen I'd leave them that way, in a deep freeze (no self defrosting feature), until you need to start aging them.....if you age.

If they aren't frozen, I'd look into flash freezing to prevent damage by freezing too slowly (Thanks for the info Butcher BBQ), and then freeze as mentioned above.

82's BBQ
01-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I freeze mine, in fact I am currently taking bids from local retailers and will order a couple cases when I get a price that I like. Once we get them they go into the deep freezer and then get pulled out 1 month before I need them.

Hot Wachula's
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I had been looking into this for some time. Got some info from some universities and even spoke with SRF about it.
If they have been frozen keep them frozen unless you want to wet age them. And yes it is ok to wet age a previously frozen brisket.
If they are fresh, wet age them then freeze then thaw when needed.

Both methods were similar in tenderness and moisture.

The frozen then aged looses more fluid while in the bag aging. The fresh loosing more fluid while cooking. The end results once cooked, are almost identical.

Hope this helps.

FBA 2013 TOTY
Brisket 2013 TOTY

bruno994
01-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Good info Hot Wachula. Answered some questions I have always had since I started wet aging my comp briskets. I buy Prime by the case, wet age then freeze.
And congrats on your TOY!

RLTXBBQ
01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Have aged then frozen, prime , select, choice. Did not affect anything at a contest, still did good. Have also frozen for lack of fridge space then aged 3 - 4 weeks after thawed and same results as far as i could tell it is all good.

INmitch
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Frozen is fine. I will have 12 sitting on my doorstep when I get home tomorrow night. Gonna fill the freezers and see how much room is left. Then order more next week to top them off.
No more 14-17 lbers for me this year.:thumb:

Bubba
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Jamey no problem with cooking brisket that has been frozen.

lazyjacres
01-14-2014, 06:44 PM
So, you're saying if I get them frozen, thaw them, age them, and then re-freeze until I need them?[

QUOTE=Hot Wachula's;2765341]I had been looking into this for some time. Got some info from some universities and even spoke with SRF about it.
If they have been frozen keep them frozen unless you want to wet age them. And yes it is ok to wet age a previously frozen brisket.

The frozen then aged looses more fluid while in the bag aging. The fresh loosing more fluid while cooking. The end results once cooked, are almost identical.

Hope this helps.

FBA 2013 TOTY
Brisket 2013 TOTY[/QUOTE]

lazyjacres
01-14-2014, 06:49 PM
So, as the TOTY brisket team, do you cook fresh, or frozen briskest? I'm guessing you're cooking SRF briskets?

I had been looking into this for some time. Got some info from some universities and even spoke with SRF about it.

Hope this helps.

FBA 2013 TOTY
Brisket 2013 TOTY

JD McGee
01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Yep...we do...no issues at all! :cool:

DaSmokin'Chili
01-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Hey 82's BBQ went to your website, because your not to far from me, saw that you are no longer doing the catering thing. I have been thinking about taking it up. Do you have any equipment you want to get rid of?

Hot Wachula's
01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I cook SRF or Creekstone. But mostly SRF. They come in fresh not frozen (buckhead beef).
I try to cook them fresh but end up freezing about 30% of the ones I buy.
I try wet age for 4 weeks and cook. If I have to, I will then freeze and thaw the week of the contest.
Ive won with fresh and frozen. doesnt make a difference to me.
Only freeze once. If it comes frozen you can thaw and wet age then cook.

If it comes frozen Dont thaw, age then refreeze.

Candy Sue
01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
It's my understanding that frozen meat ages while frozen. I've cooked an aged (in freezer 2 years) prime brisket and did well with it. That said, I don't age wagyu briskets, just keep them in the freezer. Take one out the Monday or Tuesday before a contest and thaw in the cooler.

dano
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Usually get them frozen too....just keep them that way until I need it.