PDA

View Full Version : Sauce contest tips

K-Train
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Looks like we're doing DC for the first time this year. Entering the sauce contest. Never done a sauce contest before. I know what I'm going to make, however don't know what to expect for turn in etc. Thanks in advance.
Keith

Jacked UP BBQ
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Entered this a few years ago and they gave us a container to turn it in. When we made the final table they gave us another container.

K-Train
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Entered this a few years ago and they gave us a container to turn it in. When we made the final table they gave us another container.
Thanks. Did you warm it up for turn in?

BABYGOTBUTT
01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Keith,

We won the DC sauce competition in 2012. They give you a 16oz water bottle and if you make the finals, you turn in another bottle so bring plenty. We used a variation of a mutual friend's recipe! :) No warming necessary. Personally, I think it is a total crap shoot.

K-Train
01-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Keith,

We won the DC sauce competition in 2012. They give you a 16oz water bottle and if you make the finals, you turn in another bottle so bring plenty. We used a variation of a mutual friend's recipe! :) No warming necessary. Personally, I think it is a total crap shoot.
Thanks. I think I know which friend you are speaking of. You guys gonna be there this year?

BABYGOTBUTT
01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks. I think I know which friend you are speaking of. You guys gonna be there this year?

Yes..we have done this one the last few years and it is one of our favorites. Really like the turn-in format. Get a hotel reservation at the Harrington. It is very close walking distance to the sites. Give me a ring if you want to know anymore. Load-in can get a little dicey but other than that it is well run and a lot of moolah given away!

DUBBAGA
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Definitely turn in the sauce warm, but NOT hot. Made a mistake of turning in molten sauce once, and it ruined the taste and "texture"