PDA

View Full Version : Memphis in May 2014, MAY 14-17

TooSaucedToPork
01-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Hello my fellow Brethren...

It is once again time for the Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest thread. The wonderful start to finish thread dealing with everything we do for MIM here at Too Sauced To Pork. As always we are offering all BBQ Brethren a place as a member of the team. This years dates are May 14th-17th 2014.

Haven't been before - Read these:
Description of MIM on Kingsford's Grilling.com site (http://www.grilling.com/memphis-in-may-101/)
Our Guide for people not on a BBQ Team (http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/2013/05/memphis-in-may-bbq-contest-tips-for-visitors-not-on-a-bbq-team/)
Overall Guide to MIM (http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/guide-to-memphis-in-may-bbq-fest-a-k-a-mim-wcbcc/)

The Team application (http://www.memphisinmay.org/teamapplication) was released on Friday.

SO...
down to the Nuts and Bolts:

We are purchasing a Riverside 26'x50' spot in the Rib division
$3000
And we are entering all the Food Ancillary contests - Hot Wings, Beef, Poultry, Exotic, Seafood, Tomato Sauce, Vinegar Sauce, and Mustard Sauce at $60 each
$480
We are entering Best Tshirt and Ms Piggie Idol at $60 each
$120
We also grab a Big Hog package...which gives us Extra 24 hour wristbands, extra wednesday night tickets, and extra load in passes.
$125
AND don't forget that clean up Deposit
$350

So total we will be dropping off at MIM on Wednesday is (drumroll please)
$4075.00:shocked:

Next installment we will discuss electricity, porto johns, flooring, and tents. as those are our next purchases.

If you are interested in joining the team and experiencing this craziness, drop us a line. Its an amazing experience! And as Always, we will host a Brethren Mixer on Thursday May 15th.

Neil

Lt. Sanders
01-11-2014, 11:27 PM
I do believe $4075 exceeds my net worth, so good luck to you! I took the judge training class last fall and hope to be there this year. I'll stop by and introduce myself at the mixer!

Cheech
01-12-2014, 05:17 AM
A few friends and myself plan on showing up this year and was wondering if you have any recommendations on a place near by to stay?

It would be nice to find a place with in walking distance or stumbling distance does such a place exist?

RumRunner_1492
01-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Wow. That is crazy expensive.

QN
01-12-2014, 11:10 AM
A few friends and myself plan on showing up this year and was wondering if you have any recommendations on a place near by to stay?

It would be nice to find a place with in walking distance or stumbling distance does such a place exist?

Yes, such a thing does exist, but they are probably all already booked up. There is a Hampton Inn just off Beale that is probably the closest. There are also some downtown Memphis Marriott properties that aren't too far to walk/stumble. There is a Doubletree hotel on Union Ave. that is also pretty close. Nothing else is really in walking distance. Some stay in West Memphis and drive over the bridge, but you will need a designated driver and will have to pay/deal with parking. Good luck! I'll be back at the Hampton Inn. Made the reservation last year.

TooSaucedToPork
01-12-2014, 11:04 PM
I do believe $4075 exceeds my net worth, so good luck to you! I took the judge training class last fall and hope to be there this year. I'll stop by and introduce myself at the mixer!

Please do!

TooSaucedToPork
01-12-2014, 11:07 PM

QN mentioned some good places. Also the Econo Lodge downtown is good. Many get booked, then on March 10th rooms become available when teams that don't make it in cancel their reservations.

Do you know any teams in the contest?

TooSaucedToPork
01-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Wow. That is crazy expensive.

Its the second largest sized spot, and it is on the river. A non-river 26'x50 is $1900. Our sponsor wants Riverside, so we pay the extra $1100 for it.

You can enter the contest with the smallest spot for $500.

BobWaltersBBQ
01-13-2014, 08:06 AM
What is the cost to join your team for this event?

TooSaucedToPork
01-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Send me a pm with your email, I'll send you all the information on the team.

BritToby
01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the links to your guides! I have just paid up and will be bringing a team over from the UK, at the moment it looks pretty daunting but really looking forward to getting our teeth stuck into something new!

TooSaucedToPork
01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
If you need anything...tips for mim, a walkthru of onsite presentation, info on things you need, dont be afraid to contact us...

we have been helping out first time teams for many years

Neil

Iamarealbigdog
01-14-2014, 08:19 AM
The first year we attended Memphis Neil and Mike were there with a generator to help us recharge our batteries Tuesday morning in the Stadium parking lot as the electrical infructuure was not set up yet.

Truely a great family down there and life long friends.

There is no better way to see the event then through the eyes of a team and Too Sauced to Pork is always welcome in our tent.

Cheers all

Mike

ace27705
01-14-2014, 07:58 PM
check out these hotels....

econo lodge downtown ... I hear it is decent
days inn on union
vista inn on union right by the ball park
crowne plaza downtown .. ( its a little nicer and more expensive)
their is also a quality inn and a holiday inn express in the medical district which is not far away but not within walking distance.
we do have locals coming to the park daily if you get with some of them im sure someone can scoop ya up.

bbqnjm
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
how is the comfort inn on Front St?

TooSaucedToPork
01-15-2014, 09:26 AM
how is the comfort inn on Front St?

I have stayed there and had no complaints. Hotels at MIM are crashpads. You need a clean room, with a comfy bed, within crawling distance of the Contest. Comfort Inn is all of these...and it is in a safe area.

Neil

bbqnjm
01-15-2014, 03:29 PM
thanks!

deguerre
01-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Also, don't forget the Trolly will drop you off pretty close to Tom Lee's entrance so walking distance is not necessarily a factor...

boogiesnap
01-15-2014, 04:53 PM
and the closest trolly stop to your house is???

deguerre
01-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Forgot to mention the trolly is mostly downtown, but it DOES go down Madison avenue almost into Midtown. We get to park in the Pyramid lot downtown though as part of it is reserved for State employees, at least until Bass Pro moves in, and we've got a sticker, plus there's a trolly stop almost right next to where we park.

TooSaucedToPork
02-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Okay Folks...Time for Round 2

I saw a few teams post that this will be their first time Competing at Memphis in May...
Here's the “Crap they don’t tell you about Competing in Memphis in May” list…

Let’s start with the planning, since they are still accepting applications til the end of the month of February…

Application here (http://www.memphisinmay.org/teamapplication)

1. At this time you need only sign up for the entry fee and cleaning deposit, this includes
a. What category you are entered in
b. What size space you want
c. Do you want Riverside(more expensive) or a regular spot.
We choose riverside for the view...but MOSTLY for the Breeze.
2. The $350 clean up deposit. Of which $150 is returned to you upon site clean up
3. On the application it asks about wristbands, ancillaries, Big Hog, and Wednesday night tickets.
a. Wristbands can be purchased at the Cooks Meeting in April (see below)
b. Wednesday night tickets can be purchased at the Cooks Meeting in April (see below)
c. Big Hog can be purchased at the Cooks Meeting in April (see below)
d. Ancillaries can also be entered at the cooks meeting in April...but we pay them on the front end to show MIM we enter everything.
e. Cooker Caravan - Your team gives 1 tour a day of your booth to the public. You have a question and answer session, and send them off with a smile. It is totally free for the public and you meet some very interesting and cool people. It is a great program, please think about doing it
f. Kingsford Tour of Champions. You can only enter this if your team has placed top 20 at MIM before

=================================

1. Cooks meeting - first timers - go if you can…great way to network
You can add ancillaries, wed. night tickets, and 3 day wristbands up until cooks meeting in April
2. Patio Porkers get 5 - 24 hour bands
3. Regular Teams get 15-24 Hour bands

Larger teams (like TSTP) will buy your TEAM'S extra 24 hour bands…(good way to recoup some costs or to get your kegs or a case of pork paid for)

4. 3 day wristbands are only for gate hours 11AM-12AM Thurs and Fri - 11am-10pm Sat
5. Big hog package is a waste of money for a small team…
6. Cattlemans offers free sauce to teams…sign up for it, get the maximium amount…free stuff is good stuff, and if you sign up for the max, that’s like 200 dollars worth of free bbq supplies. It includes Frenchs Mustard, Katsup, Worstershire, 5 kinds of Franks, and 6 kinds of Cattlemans.

======================================

Electric - NONE is provided

You will need to buy Electric hookups PRIOR to the Contest. If done before April, there is usually a good discount.

==============================

TENTS

Classic Party Rentals rents tents and floor...and they have a contract (Monopoly) with Memphis in May. No other tent rental companies are allowed in the park.

Rent tents and floor BEFORE April and there is a discount

===================================

The Contest

1. If you have a large trailer you want in your team booth get there the Saturday before the contest starts because once the fences go up it is dang near impossible to get that hoss into a muddy rutted out spot.

2. Put up your fence as soon as you get there - If you do not, then your empty spot will be used as a parking lot, a turn around, and a way to put a trailer into the spot behind yours. THIS SUX. The booth gets all rutted out and very nasty with mud. So prevention is the best policy

3. BRING some kind of floor. You will thank me for this. They don’t call it Memphis in Mud for nothing. It has to sit above the ground. No wood chips, plywood directly on the ground, etc. We use pallets then hammer plywood over em…cheap and easy. I say bring b/c the rental company charges 48 bucks per 4ftx4ft square of flooring.

4. Get the Fire Marshall permit tag as soon as you can on Monday or Tues…DO NOT FORGET…it will be absolute HELL trying to track these guys down come Wednesday

5. Bring your own grounding wire kit for your tent, if you don’t the electricians will charge you for a kit..AND INSTALLATION…if you bring your own they will hook you in no charge

6. WATCH your team boundaries…there are some teams that will move paint and stakes to get a bigger area. I won’t name names, but it is rude and sh**ty to do. Measure your spot, then drive BIG stakes into the ground at the corners…

7. Count on electric to not be hooked up until Tuesday…it usually gets hooked up before, but there have been snafu’s in the past. Make sure you have an
alternative plan for meat, tools, light, etc

8. RENT A PORT-O-JOHN, and put it in the BACK of your booth. You can thank me later for this. If your crapper is in the front people will just walk into your booth and use it without permission…not cool. If you don’t have one you will regret it when you go to relive yourself only to find overflowing crappers from the 100,000 people that used them before you. Plus all the drunks= PUKE in the public ones…NASTY

9. Beer sales end early by 9pm everyday…PLAN FOR THIS. Wed is like 6pm and Sat is 7 pm…Remember to stock up or you will be SOL…

10. Wednesday is the last day to load in…7am - NOON Vehicles must leave by 3pm…those of you driving in from points unknown This is the ABSOLUTE LAST time to load big stuff in…otherwise you will be hoofing it in from ˝ a mile away…that is no exaggeration…˝ a mile at least carrying stuff.

11. GET A WAGON - this will save you LOTS of heartache. From kegs to meat, to the 2 kids you can haul everything you need in them. A must for MIM.

12. You will need to have Blockers and runners for your entries. The crowds are thick and you will need 2 or 3 person teams to get your stuff to the judging quickly and safely.

13. You need to bring a fire extinguisher with a CURRENT INSPECTION TAG ATTACHED. They will not give you a fire permit without one.

14. All propane tanks must have a holder…a milk crate is perfect for this, without a holder…no permit

15. Bring PLENTY of bottled water. The Sams Club on site runs out...

AND THE BIGGEST RULE
If things go wrong with your pork entry put the beautiful portions in the blind box. (remember pork entries can have NO garnish) You have to learn to B.S. and sell your onsite judge on your product. You can talk your way out of a burnt looking rib or shoulder to an onsite judge, you can’t explain anything to the blind judges….

If any visitors or first timers need tips, please pm me and I'll give you my contact info.

4uweque
02-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Excellent post, I learned most of this the hard way.

Iamarealbigdog
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Buy cases of water early.....

Last year Sam's club onsite sold out, as did all the off site locations and Costco and Wal-Mart.

Slugging in water mid day sucks...

msavard
02-13-2014, 07:36 PM
As usual, Too Sauced to Pork dropping FANTASTIC information right off the bat!

Hope everyone is doing well and ready for another year at the best BBQ Competition in the country?!

Background about our transition:

Some of you guys may remember me as being with Slab Yo Mama BBQ. Last year was the last year of that as the team was split pretty much down the middle with regards to some rather critical matters. 7 of us split off, taking my buddy / assistant Pitmaster Neil McClure with us to take on the role as Head Pitmaster/Cook for the new team.

He's since opened his own restaurant (McClure's Barbecue at 4800 Magazine St in New Orleans Louisiana. He's doing damn well, selling out frequently, and currently in the middle of filming an episode of "Best in Chow" with the Cooking Channel this week. We're pretty stoked for him. :)

Anyways, we've branched off and formed McClure's Competition Barbecue, loosely affiliated with his restaurant. We'll be keeping with the path we were on with Slab Yo Mama, trying to toe the line between big Party team while Neil and assistants flex a bit in the kitchen and try to get us a walk or two.

The plan:
• Ribs Team with a 26x50 Riverside lot like Too Sauced To Pork
• Going with a 3000sqft 3-story Scaffold (up from 1200sqft with Slab last year).
• 2nd floor will be a VIP/Team mezzanine balcony overlooking main "dancefloor"
• Embracing the New Orleans home of the restaurant: French Quarter themed booth
• Just formalized our Beer deal with Lagunitas Brewing. 24 kegs of delicious microbrew!
• Other deals in the works...
• With beer being donated, or total budget for the 3 days will be ~$23,000. Yes, MIM is crazy. If there is interest we'd be willing to open up our budget for folks to look at and see what goes down behind the curtains for something like this. Our team is 14 guys with dues of $400/head. The rest is sponsor funded.
• We will be entering everything as well: Ribs, Beef, Seafood, Exotic, Wings, All 3 Sauces (Mustard/Tomato/Vinegar)

As usual, BBQ Bretheren who wish to swing by will be more than welcome!

So damn stoked already! We MAY end up having a few extra Wednesday Team Night Passes for those who may need more. Will be closer to MIM before we know for sure.

msavard
02-13-2014, 07:45 PM
6. Cattlemans offers free sauce to teams…sign up for it, get the maximium amount…free stuff is good stuff, and if you sign up for the max, that’s like 200 dollars worth of free bbq supplies. It includes Frenchs Mustard, Katsup, Worstershire, 5 kinds of Franks, and 6 kinds of Cattlemans.

Was curious about when signup for this is? Courtney had always handled this and we just wanted to make sure we didn't miss it. :razz:

TooSaucedToPork
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Was curious about when signup for this is? Courtney had always handled this and we just wanted to make sure we didn't miss it. :razz:

After you receive your acceptance email and letter, Memphis in May sends out a packet with a bunch of forms. These forms are all time sensitive, so return them ASAP or you can be booted from the contest. The Cattleman's form is in that packet and you will fill it out and fax it directly to Cattleman's.

msavard
02-13-2014, 08:15 PM
After you receive your acceptance email and letter, Memphis in May sends out a packet with a bunch of forms. These forms are all time sensitive, so return them ASAP or you can be booted from the contest. The Cattleman's form is in that packet and you will fill it out and fax it directly to Cattleman's.

:thumbup:

Thank you kindly sir!

Iamarealbigdog
02-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Speaking of name changes, and it should be no surprise that the Black Pig BBQ is now.... (wait for it...)

Team Canada BBQ

We have been asked by the Canadian Consul General to form the Canadian National BBQ Team and thus we have forwarded the Black Pig BBQ 's MiM legacy over to this new group.

While we are still very involved with the team, it now represents the same diversity as our new members across Canada.

Still doing Whole Hog and hosting the usual Kingsford and other tours, the Brethren are always welcome to stop by the official CANADA HOUSE when we are not hosting a specific event.

Mike – TEAM CANADA BBQ

GO CANADA>>>>>

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1620654_630254560344841_1652479242_n.png

msavard
02-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Oh hell yeah! That's great news realbigdog. Definitely going to swing by this year.

BritToby
02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Really appreciate all the info,trying not to be too daunted at the moment lol

msavard
02-14-2014, 01:08 PM

NO need to be daunted... at it's core, it's just another BBQ contest. many teams go with bare bones setups and avoid the crazy parties in lieu of focusing on the food. I don't fault those guys at ALL. This IS one of the most prestigious BBQ contests in the world, after all. :grin:

The Too Sauced to Pork crew are fantastic ambassadors and have compiled a ton of info for you guys to get started. Definitely attend tier BBQ Bretheren mixer as well for a chance to chat up other teams and pick up more pointers. That, and it's a great excuse to put back a couple pints with good company.

And as always, if you guys have any questions as things get closer, post up in here and there are quite a few teams experienced with competing at MIM at all scales.

msavard
02-14-2014, 01:53 PM
TV Crews from Cooking Channel's "Best in Chow: New Orleans BBQ Wars" are currently filming the Judges eating at McClure's Barbecue down on Magazine St in New Orleans:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/p296x100/1902789_705697536118642_595456565_n.jpg

Wish us luck!

QN
02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
TV Crews from Cooking Channel's "Best in Chow: New Orleans BBQ Wars" are currently filming the Judges eating at McClure's Barbecue down on Magazine St in New Orleans:
Wish us luck!

Good luck!
I want to be one of those judges...

Hope to see you guys in Memphis again.

msavard
02-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Good luck!
I want to be one of those judges...

Hope to see you guys in Memphis again.

Definitely swing by Mark (at mcclure's not slab).. it's always good to see ya! We'll have plenty of that Lagunitas IPA waiting on ya again once done with "work" and can make your rounds. :grin:

msavard
02-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Wish us luck!

From @mcclurebarbecue on twitter...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/mcclureswin.png

:thumb:

TooSaucedToPork
02-17-2014, 08:36 PM

If you need anything please give us a shout...pm me and I'll give you my email and phone #

msavard
02-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Sooo.... anyone received their confirmation yet?!! :)

I kid I kid... nobody will for a couple weeks. Just ready for this to get rolling. Team Meeting #3 this Friday. Hoping to firm up some sponsorship arrangements and start assigning pre-fest tasks to various groups of members.

Go clock go!

stan
02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Neil me and a couple more OBR folks will be there this year! We will stop by and see you!

TooSaucedToPork
02-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Neil me and a couple more OBR folks will be there this year! We will stop by and see you!

Y'all are welcome in our booth anytime brother.

See you soon!

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Acceptance email received today at 6:18pm...We are officially in it to win it!!!

Who all got their letter?

msavard
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Congrats sir!

We got ours as well! Game time is officially on the calendar!

kcdano
03-11-2014, 02:37 AM
The More You Drink The Better It Taste BBQ Team will be there.

TooSaucedToPork
03-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Right on brother! Come down to the booth
and say hey.

kcdano
03-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Right on brother! Come down to the booth
and say hey.

Thanks for the invite, we will see you there

TooSaucedToPork
03-12-2014, 07:18 PM

If this is your first MIM and you need advice, info, or help let us know. We can do a conference call and give you a ton of tips and information.

Neil

T G
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Are ya'll still taking people for members of your team? Im only 2-1/2 hours away from Memphis and can come over on Friday afternoon.

TooSaucedToPork
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
As a brethren you always have a spot on the team...send me a pm and I'll email you all the info.

TooSaucedToPork
03-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Just received the packet with the next set of costs...so to recap our costs so far we have spent $4075.00 on:

a Riverside 26'x50' spot in the Rib division
all the Food Ancillary contests - Hot Wings, Beef, Poultry, Exotic, Seafood, Tomato Sauce, Vinegar Sauce, Mustard Sauce, Best Tshirt and Ms Piggie Idol
We also grabed a Big Hog package...which gives us Extra 24 hour wristbands, extra wednesday night tickets, and extra load in passes.
AND don't forget that $350 clean up Deposit

Now we will discuss electricity, porto johns, Pods, flooring, tents, and tshirts.

Electric boxes are $175 each. (4 or more $150 each) Each box has 3 plugs. We need 5 boxes to run all the electric in the booth...
#1 Fridge, Grill lights, Lights in the Pod, Treagger
#2 Ice Freezer, Kitchen Lights, Cadiliac Cooker
#3 Hot water heater and sink pump, Tent Lights, Guru for Stumps Smoker
#4 Porto Cool, Electric BBQ Sign on front of booth, DJ and sound equipment
#5 Margarita Machine, Dance Floor Lights, cell phone charging station

So that's $750

Next we gotta go to the head...and so do our guests. Two Porto Johns cost us:

$262.20

Next thing - we like having an easy load in with a safe secure place to store our gear. PODS rents a 8'x8'x12' storage container to teams. They will drop it at a location before the contest, the team loads it, then Pods comes back and delivers it to your booth at the contest. This saves teams a couple days of load in. So...

$242.53

Next is Flooring and Tent. Now Memphis in May is also known as "Memphis in Mud" to us teams. If you don't have a floor put in your booth, you just may be chin deep in mud by Friday afternoon. So you have 2 options...

Lay your own floor, which is cheaper but could take a few days, OR
Rent a floor and have it professionally installed. We have built floors in the past, and we are usually one of the last teams in the park taking it out...so this year we are renting!

That's $2200

Add the rented Tent, Walls, Fire Permit, Chairs, Tables and delivery and setup:

That's another 1499.10

So...add $3699.10, lets say $3700 to the pot.

We gotta look good doing this, have a trinket to take home, and we gotta turn in a pretty shirt for the Best Tshirt contest...sooooo

tshirts for every team member + extras ordered for family and friends....106 shirts

$1600

So folks that's another $6554.44

Total spent so far 10,629.73

Next time...3 day wristbands and Wednesday night tickets at the cooks meeting April 15th

If you are interested in joining the team and experiencing this craziness, drop us a line. Its an amazing experience! And as Always, we will host a Free Brethren Mixer in our booth on Thursday May 15th at 4pm.

Below is a 3D Digtital walkthru of our Booth this year.

As a bonus, Click here for a 3D digital walkthru of our booth for this year

msavard
03-23-2014, 06:59 PM
McClure's will be r073! Nice little end cap 8 booths in from the Beale entrance. Good times. Where is everyone else at?

TooSaucedToPork
03-23-2014, 08:15 PM
McClure's will be r073! Nice little end cap 8 booths in from the Beale entrance. Good times. Where is everyone else at?

R080 - 7 booths down...

msavard
03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
R080 - 7 booths down...

Hell yeah!

Swinos are next to us in 072.
Pork stars are at r100

That's all I've gathered thus far

Iamarealbigdog
03-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Still waiting for hard copy of the package....:tsk:

BritToby
03-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Got the letter, British Bulldog BBQ are in! However with the post being what it is, will have to wait to find out where we are, it wont matter though, I am extremely exited!!!!

msavard
03-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Since TSTP opened up their books I figured we could open up ours too for those who may be interested....

Like TSTP, we went with 26x50 Riverfront Booth (Ribs)
• Plus all ancillary categories / Whole Hog Package
BOOTH / ENTRIES : $3895

Electricity: Four 20A circuits at $150ea = $600
• Kegerator (True TDD-2)/ Bar Outlets (phone charging/lights) / Ice Machine (kegs) #1
• Ice Machine #2 (kegs) + Refrigerator (food)
• Ice Machine #3 (Food) + LED Globe String Lights (16 strands) & Japanese Lanterns
• Sound System (4 Speakers + Sub) / DJ Lights / Assorted Power

Porta Potties : $262.20

3 Story Scaffold Structure & Flooring : $5000
Thanks to having the head guy for a local scaffold supplier on the team, we've managed to barter a sponsorship out of him to do the monstrosity at a loss. 3 stories tall and about 3000 square feet. Generally this scaffold would run $12-15k depending on the details.

Carpeting : 3000 square feet of carpet, even basic stuff, isn't cheap. $1600
Yes, this gets thrown away at the end of the year.

Booth Decoration : Curtains (donated), Japanese Lanterns, Lights, Judges Table, Misc : $660

Refrigeration : 3 ReddiIce Rentals ($202ea) + Standard Fridge (garage) : $610
It gets HOT down there... and sufficient refrigeration is important. We will be getting 3 of the huge reddi-ice storage fridge/freezers. Two will be dedicated toward Keg storage, one will be for food/meat storage. The refrigerator will be for food storage as well.

TOTAL STRUCTURE/LOGISTICS : $12,600

Some other line items:
• DJ Sound & Lighting 4 speakers plus sub (Nolan Audio) : Discounted / Free - awaiting pricing.
• Random Electrical (Extension Cords & Such) : $100
• Team & SPonsor Banners : $550
• 2000 Booth Access Wristbands / 100 VIP wristbands : $120
• Classic Party Rentals (6 folding tables, 4 Hi Top Tables, 50 Chairs) : $550
• Security Guards (2 Off Duty Officer Friends) : 2 @ 150/night : $600
TOTAL Entertainment / Seating / Security : $2420 (assumes $500 for sound)

Bar & Kitchen Items
• 24 Kegs of Lagunitas Beer : Donated (Retail $4000)
• 10 Cases of Sobeiski Vodka : $ $766 (local liquor store deal)
• Mixers / Non Alcoholic / Water : $200
• Misc Bar Supplies : $200
• Shoulder (3 cases @ ~$90/case) : $270 (through beale st restaurant)
• Ribs (6 cases @ $85/case) : $510 (through beale st restaurant
• Comp Ribs : $200
• Wings/Sides/Brisket/Ancillaries : $1000 (awaiting final tally from Neil - partial sponsorship)
• Kitchen Supplies & Wood : $400 (wood donated)
• Kitchen Setup : $150 (much of material already owned)
TOTAL Bar/Kitchen : ~$3700

Contingency Fund for Random Crap : $1000

TOTAL BUDGET for 14 Member Team : ~$20,000
(with beer, some food & liquor, and most of scaffold and sound system donated)
Had we paid full price for everything, likely around $35,000. Sounds insane, until you've been to Memphis In May BBQfest :)

Wheeeee!!!

msavard
03-31-2014, 11:15 AM
BUMP!

40 DAYS TILL LOAD-IN

how's everyone doing with prep so far?

We are still chasing down the last round of funding/sponsorship for our booth. Have about a half-dozen irons in the fire and I'm fairly confident we'll get everything sorted out in time. Fingers crossed.

Main wristbands ordered (2000)
Team Koozies ordered (300)
Front upper facade banner ordered (to test out bannersonthecheap.com)

Booth layout is fairly finalized. 3 levels. Approx 3000sq ft.

2nd level is team/VIP guest only to afford us a place to get away from the packed first floor, while still being able to look down and keep an eye on things.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/2014_McClures_Scaffold_JPG.jpg

kcdano
04-01-2014, 01:41 AM
We have a 15'-25' in patio division. We will bring a smoker, a 10 X 10 easy up and a prep table. The only other thing we are bringing is a bar because we are THE MORE YOU DRINK THE BETTER IT TASTE BBQ TEAM.

Iamarealbigdog
04-01-2014, 08:56 AM
H-218 same place as last year

msavard
04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
H-218 same place as last year

msavard
04-01-2014, 09:38 AM
We have a 15'-25' in patio division. We will bring a smoker, a 10 X 10 easy up and a prep table. The only other thing we are bringing is a bar because we are THE MORE YOU DRINK THE BETTER IT TASTE BBQ TEAM.

Patio Porkers are a lot of fun. We've got a great group of friends over at Deez Butts BBQ (basically a air national guard group). They will be throwing down pretty hard as well. I'll definitely be over there and will drop by to say hey at you guys' place too :thumb:

If you guys need anything feel free to go over there and ask for Brian or Gonzo (Jason) and tell him Matt Savard said to come by. Great group of guys.

BritToby
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
In space H-212 going to take it easy on the setup as its the first year over however will have plenty of beer for any Brethren that want to visit!

kcdano
04-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Patio Porkers are a lot of fun. We've got a great group of friends over at Deez Butts BBQ (basically a air national guard group). They will be throwing down pretty hard as well. I'll definitely be over there and will drop by to say hey at you guys' place too :thumb:

If you guys need anything feel free to go over there and ask for Brian or Gonzo (Jason) and tell him Matt Savard said to come by. Great group of guys.

Thanks, will do. If your in our area, stop by p-519 for a drink

Iamarealbigdog
04-01-2014, 07:06 PM
In space H-212 going to take it easy on the setup as its the first year over however will have plenty of beer for any Brethren that want to visit!

Your in a RIVERSIDE... well excuse us.......

TooSaucedToPork
04-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Your in a RIVERSIDE... well excuse us.......

Hahaha, someone has booth envy...

Iamarealbigdog
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm all about the river booth, but to get one out of pure luck... :doh:

WOW...:mad2:

and I got a real big booth buddy, bigger then yours... :heh: but just not on the river...

BritToby
04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
haha hey if you are going to be mad enough to fly a team in from the UK, cook whole hog for the first time in a massive event like Memphis in May, youve gotta have that view!!!

BoneDaddy's
04-02-2014, 10:02 AM
BUMP!

40 DAYS TILL LOAD-IN

how's everyone doing with prep so far?

We are still chasing down the last round of funding/sponsorship for our booth. Have about a half-dozen irons in the fire and I'm fairly confident we'll get everything sorted out in time. Fingers crossed.

Main wristbands ordered (2000)
Team Koozies ordered (300)
Front upper facade banner ordered (to test out bannersonthecheap.com)

Booth layout is fairly finalized. 3 levels. Approx 3000sq ft.

2nd level is team/VIP guest only to afford us a place to get away from the packed first floor, while still being able to look down and keep an eye on things.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/2014_McClures_Scaffold_JPG.jpg

Hopefully there are a few vip passes for the too sauced to pork folks :-)
-Frank

msavard
04-02-2014, 10:33 AM
TSTP and any other Bretheren teams will most definitely be getting wristbands.

I think our plan is to load a keg of Lagunitas IPA into the cart wed PM or thursday afternoon and make the rounds swaping bands and pouring pints for anyone who wants em. :)

Confirmed our friends Deez Butts (Air National Guardsmen) will be at P-505 in Patio Porkers Division. Their Page: https://www.facebook.com/DeeezButts

They are usually doing it up right and I'll let Gonzo and Brian know some Bretheren may be dropping in at some point.

Iamarealbigdog
04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Designated beer keg carts

Dang yeah....

Iamarealbigdog
04-03-2014, 12:11 PM
haha hey if you are going to be mad enough to fly a team in from the UK, cook whole hog for the first time in a massive event like Memphis in May, youve gotta have that view!!!

Toby, how many you got coming over...

BritToby
04-03-2014, 01:23 PM
only 4 of us from the UK and one Stateside at the moment so if you hear of anyone that wants to join in let me know! Dont want the wristbands going to waste.

msavard
04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
The 24hr bands fetch a good price in the open market (usually75-100 apiece) if you have extras.

Iamarealbigdog
04-04-2014, 09:00 AM
There is nothing like sitting at the front of the booth, with a beverage and a nice cigar watching the parade of day tickets going by herded by a wall of police. You raise your arm with the golden pass, or in this case, a 24hr wrist band, immunity claimed, immunity granted.

Its good to be a pitmaster

msavard
04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
There is nothing like sitting at the front of the booth, with a beverage and a nice cigar watching the parade of day tickets going by herded by a wall of police. You raise your arm with the golden pass, or in this case, a 24hr wrist band, immunity claimed, immunity granted.

Its good to be a pitmaster

Yessir indeed! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

msavard
04-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Well got some fun news today on all fronts...

GOOD: Nolan AudioVisual called back and confirmed not only are they setting us up with a very nice sound system for the fest (4 speaker heads, plus a huge sub), but they're throwing in some sort of networked light system and lighting control board that should look pretty nifty.
BAD: This setup is apparently so over the top it will require a dedicated 20amp line for the audio and one for the lighting. Add $150 for another power drop :)

GOOD: Good buddy is executive chef over all BB Kings locations and was going to set us up with meat at their cost. Better yet, he calls me to let me know Fayette Packing / Keith Farms was looking for a fun "base of operations" to take retail clients. theyre throwing us 7 cases of 2.5 down regular baby backs and 2 cases of their competition trimmed baby backs (for saturday) in exchange for hanging a banner and giving em a dozen or so passes.

"BAD": We're still hovering around a $20k budget without spending a dime on beer, ribs, lighting, or sound :becky:

Is it May yet? lol

erandolph
04-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Hey guys,

Figure I already know the answer to this question, but the Handsome Devil team was invited to be a BBQ vendor at this years event. Working on the budget to get the BBQ super rig and team there and back. Just wanted to ask is it safe to assume that this is a no brainer event that we should attend regardless. Also anyone have any info on what food prices are out there that vendors charge? Ballpark figures, just need to do a quick P&L estimate.

TooSaucedToPork
04-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Hey guys,

Figure I already know the answer to this question, but the Handsomepricing. l team was invited to be a BBQ vendor at this years event. Working on the budget to get the BBQ super rig and team there and back. Just wanted to ask is it safe to assume that this is a no brainer event that we should attend regardless. Also anyone have any info on what food prices are out there that vendors charge? Ballpark figures, just need to do a quick P&L estimate.

Are y'all vending or competing?

Price depends on portions, I will dig up photos and look at the menu boards of the vendors to get exact pricing. What are yall going to be selling?

msavard
04-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Hey guys,

Figure I already know the answer to this question, but the Handsome Devil team was invited to be a BBQ vendor at this years event. Working on the budget to get the BBQ super rig and team there and back. Just wanted to ask is it safe to assume that this is a no brainer event that we should attend regardless. Also anyone have any info on what food prices are out there that vendors charge? Ballpark figures, just need to do a quick P&L estimate.

I'm pretty sure Willinghams gets about $8 for a pulled pork sandwich IIRC.
I THINK it was $26ish for a slab but don't quote me on it... never have bought one.

Iamarealbigdog
04-07-2014, 08:48 AM
I THINK it was $26ish for a slab but don't quote me on it... never have bought one.

What are you talking about...... I saw you buy a dozen racks and use them for turn in's :heh::heh::heh:

(and the smack talk starts:boxing:)

msavard
04-07-2014, 08:50 AM
What are you talking about...... I saw you buy a dozen racks and use them for turn in's :heh::heh::heh:

(and the smack talk starts:boxing:)

Pshhhttt... everyone knows you go to Rendezvous to pick up slabs when your pitmaster falls asleep and burns your turn ins.

(I'm looking at you, Deez Butts) :heh:

msavard
04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
TO those who have gone down to team day before...

Does everyone down there accept Credit Cards for the stuff you buy there?
(Porta potties, classic party, electrical, etc?) Is there anything we will need cash/checks for?

Thanks in advance!

TooSaucedToPork
04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
TO those who have gone down to team day before...

Does everyone down there accept Credit Cards for the stuff you buy there?
(Porta potties, classic party, electrical, etc?) Is there anything we will need cash/checks for?

Thanks in advance!

Classic - credit
Safety Quip - credit
Pods - credit
Electric - check
Wristbands - check
Wed tix - check
Extra ancillary - check

erandolph
04-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Are y'all vending or competing?

Price depends on portions, I will dig up photos and look at the menu boards of the vendors to get exact pricing. What are yall going to be selling?

We are giong to be vending. It's a long haul but figure the fine folks of memphis need to know a Yankee can make some fine Que too. Time to put some south in their mouth.

Appreciate the assitance everyone. Also look forward to meeting up with more fellow brethren for some nightlife debauchery. Add 3 devils and 5 angels to the guest list and let us know how we an contribute to the fund.

msavard
04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
While live music is technically not allowed at BBQfest, I would be remiss to not mention that if you swung by Friday as the sun started to set over the MS river, you definitely won't NOT see Season 4 "The Voice" Contestant, and Lead Singer/Guitarist for American Fiction sitting on a stage-type structure in our booth. If that WAS to be the case he MAY have a guitar in his hands and be playing/singing...

American Fiction cover of Hall & Oates "You make my dreams" (Chris singing):
"You Make My Dreams"-American Fiction covers Hall & Oates - YouTube

Chris covering "Simple Man" at Hard Rock on Beale Street:
Chris Johnson - Simple man at Hard Rock Cafe Memphis - YouTube

kcdano
04-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Maybe the more you drink the better it taste bbq team can wonder over that way and hear some of the unofficial live music that may be playing.

PorkStarz
04-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Hey guys, first time posting. Team name is Pork Starz and we are R-066. I am coming from East TN so I couldn't make it to the cooks meeting and it has been a few years since I have competed at MIM so could anyone tell me when load in times are? I used to be on a team called "Pits and Ash" we had the pink shirts.

TooSaucedToPork
04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, first time posting. Team name is Pork Starz and we are R-066. I am coming from East TN so I couldn't make it to the cooks meeting and it has been a few years since I have competed at MIM so could anyone tell me when load in times are? I used to be on a team called "Pits and Ash" we had the pink shirts.

You have to have a Load in Pass from your team packet.
Load in times are specific to your spot for Saturday. Your load in time is 11am-230pm on Saturday May 10th. Sunday, Monday, and Tueasday is open load in from 7a-6p vehicles out by 7pm. Wednesday Open Load in 7a-2p Vehicles out by 3pm

Hope that helps brother:thumb:

PorkStarz
04-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you, it definitely does! I still have not received my team packet. Anyone is free to stop by we are a small team, but have a good time!

TooSaucedToPork
04-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Whoa!!! You need to call Memphis in May today. Those went out a month ago. There was a form in there you had to sign and return by April 25th to remain in the contest.

PorkStarz
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry, I meant I didn't get my load in pass with them. I guess I still need to call them. I got everything else.

TooSaucedToPork
04-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Sorry, I meant I didn't get my load in pass with them. I guess I still need to call them. I got everything else.

Load in Passes, 24 hour bands, wednesday night tickets, and 3 day wristbands were all in the packet at the cooks meeting in first part of April. If you didn't attend you can call and have them send it to ya.

Neil

msavard
04-30-2014, 03:59 PM
BUMP! 10-11 days till load in! How's everyone doing?

kcdano
04-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Not well. After reading the handbook with the package, do I really need a special extension cord to power my guru? What is a grounding kit to get electricity? I need a drink.

Dan

The More You Drink The Better It taste BBQ Team

msavard
04-30-2014, 05:53 PM
They will come by and ground your tent.. I've never seen a kit.

We've never used any fancy extension cords. We are running 14gua for longer runs or higher amp draws... and 16gua for shorter runs and lower amp draws.

TooSaucedToPork
05-01-2014, 06:49 AM
What Matt said...we use regular cords

kcdano
05-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the cord update. I must have read into something that wasn't there. I still need a drink though

TooSaucedToPork
05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Update.

We will now chat about 3 day Gate Wristbands ($24) and Wednesday Night tickets ($8).

You see at Memphis in May admission is free from 11am - 1pm Thursday and Friday...but after 1pm Thursday and Friday and all day Saturday it is $8 in advance or $9 at the Gate. Wednesday is a special night and teams can purchase up to 50 tickets at $8 each for "Friends and Family" night.

So 50 tickets at $8 is $400
AND 3day wristbands for our members are $1196

So add that to the cost so far ($10,629.73) and we are at $12,225.73

Oh it keeps adding up. Next is food, booze, and supplies...and the contest is in 11 days so...

See ya on the River!!!

msavard
05-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the cord update. I must have read into something that wasn't there. I still need a drink though

I can help with that! :thumb:

erandolph
05-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Before the pin is officially pulled I just wanted to stop by and thank my brethren for you info and advice. The team is stoked to be vending and looking forward to saying cheers with more fellow brethren. The first 2400lbs of meat is ready for pick up tomorrow then next 2400 on monday. All the best of luck to our fellow brethren and if there is anything you need please dont hesitate to ask. We will be located in POD 5 of the Food court area whatever that means. Look for the black spade, brethren poster and a bunch of folks who talk as fast as they sling Que. Safe travels and see everyone soon.

Keep those fires burnin.

msavard
05-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Current total budget $20,622 with:
• Scaffold ~75% off ($4k instead of $16k)
• Ribs donated / Shoulder at cost from Keith Farms / Fayette Packing
• Light & Sound donated by Nolan Audio Video
• 24 Kegs donated by Lagunitas Brewing
• 600sq ft of hemp fabric donated by Scott Fabric - Made into curtains

Oof.

Example of fun expense:
We spend $852 on 1,133 square feet of digitally printed full color vinyl banners to wrap all 3 levels of our scaffold in graphics :becky: (yeah, we're kinda idiots).

msavard
05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Before the pin is officially pulled I just wanted to stop by and thank my brethren for you info and advice. The team is stoked to be vending and looking forward to saying cheers with more fellow brethren. The first 2400lbs of meat is ready for pick up tomorrow then next 2400 on monday. All the best of luck to our fellow brethren and if there is anything you need please dont hesitate to ask. We will be located in POD 5 of the Food court area whatever that means. Look for the black spade, brethren poster and a bunch of folks who talk as fast as they sling Que. Safe travels and see everyone soon.

Keep those fires burnin.

Ed, got you and your 8 crew covered on the list... gotta show some fellow yankees a little hospitality.

msavard
05-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Anyone track down a decent quality digital high-resolution copy of the map?

msavard
05-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Update.

We will now chat about 3 day Gate Wristbands ($24) and Wednesday Night tickets ($8).

You see at Memphis in May admission is free from 11am - 1pm Thursday and Friday...but after 1pm Thursday and Friday and all day Saturday it is $8 in advance or $9 at the Gate. Wednesday is a special night and teams can purchase up to 50 tickets at $8 each for "Friends and Family" night.

So 50 tickets at $8 is $400
AND 3day wristbands for our members are $1196

So add that to the cost so far ($10,629.73) and we are at $12,225.73

Oh it keeps adding up. Next is food, booze, and supplies...and the contest is in 11 days so...

See ya on the River!!!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Can't wait to check out the new setup this year. The 3D walkthrough looked kickass.

birgey
05-01-2014, 03:07 PM
If you need anything...tips for mim, a walkthru of onsite presentation, info on things you need, dont be afraid to contact us...

we have been helping out first time teams for many years

Neil

That's awesome. I love the fact that total strangers in real life,can meet via a love of BBQ and an awesome site/forum such as BBQBretheren and enjoy each other's company and whatnot.
One of these years, I'm gonna get down to MIM. I planned on coming this year (as a spectator as I've never competed and don't have the $$$ for something like this), but had to cancel. Dr is giving my dad less than 2 months to live, so spending more time with him is more important that BBQ, Ribs, Cookers, etc etc.

Good luck to all the brethren that show up!

TooSaucedToPork
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
That's awesome. I love the fact that total strangers in real life,can meet via a love of BBQ and an awesome site/forum such as BBQBretheren and enjoy each other's company and whatnot.
One of these years, I'm gonna get down to MIM. I planned on coming this year (as a spectator as I've never competed and don't have the $$$ for something like this), but had to cancel. Dr is giving my dad less than 2 months to live, so spending more time with him is more important that BBQ, Ribs, Cookers, etc etc.

Good luck to all the brethren that show up!

Sorry to here about your pops brother,

We let members of the Brethren join the team...next year look us up, you got a spot. Or if you are just coming down as a spectator, then brethren are always welcome to stop by and take a rest at our booth. Just let the guy on the door know your Brethren Handle.

birgey
05-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks. If ya ever need/want help, I'd pitch in. And I went to your website, and LOVE some of the T-shirts that's on there! May have to order one for me and the wife. :mrgreen:

Doing a big cook for my family this Saturday for my Dad. Last weekend he came up to me,with big 'ol eyes, and said "I sure would like to have some ribs. Do you care to make me some"? "Course, I said "Anything you want, I'll cook it!" I'm actually kinda nervous for the first time. All my aunts and uncles and some of my cousins are coming, and I'm putting so much stress on myself to make sure that this is the best cook of my life.

Again, thanks for the thoughts/prayers, and I wish you the best of luck at MIM!
-Brian

QN
05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Anyone track down a decent quality digital high-resolution copy of the map?

Best and only thing I have seen is the PDF file on the MIM web site;
http://www.memphisinmay.org/assets/1680/2014_wcbcc_map.pdf
Not sure about how high the resolution is.

QN
05-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Has anyone seen or does anyone have a team name list with site numbers for all the teams? They used to post it on the web site, but if it is there I can't find it.
Thanks.

TooSaucedToPork
05-02-2014, 09:09 AM
First time in many years they haven't published a team list. There is no map yet as well. My guess is when Cindy left it left a rather large hole in the organization...she was awesome, well still is awesome.

msavard
05-02-2014, 01:32 PM
First time in many years they haven't published a team list. There is no map yet as well. My guess is when Cindy left it left a rather large hole in the organization...she was awesome, well still is awesome.

I had actually interviewed and was a finalist for the Director of Marketing role over all of Memphis in May but missed out on the position. There are a LOT of things I'd do differently. Hopefully the woman they hired gets things back in line and fixes some of the issues for next year.

Iamarealbigdog
05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't really air out issues often, but it's getting ridicules down there.

Has anybody heard what happening for Cooker Caravan, VIP tours and Kingsford Tour of Champions

I have called the office and sent emails but no answers on either...Tough to plan your week and staffing the day before...

msavard
05-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Best and only thing I have seen is the PDF file on the MIM web site;
http://www.memphisinmay.org/assets/1680/2014_wcbcc_map.pdf
Not sure about how high the resolution is.

They used to have a vector "CAD" style map with each booth numbered. They don't appear to have that this year. Lame. :(

QN
05-02-2014, 03:04 PM
They used to have a vector "CAD" style map with each booth numbered. They don't appear to have that this year. Lame. :(

Yep, it was real handy. I remember printing a large "D" size copy to take with me in the past. Made it a lot easier to find specific sites. Looks like another change, and not for the better...

kyles Q crew
05-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Hopefully my schedule at work stays the same and I have the weekend off. Would love to check out this contest since its the first one since I moved from New York.

TooSaucedToPork
05-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Hopefully my schedule at work stays the same and I have the weekend off. Would love to check out this contest since its the first one since I moved from New York.

Be sure to come by our tent Thursday for the Brethren mixer...see ya soon brother

msavard
05-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Oh boy... rain starting friday and running through Wednesday...

I know it's a long ways out but that's not a good sign...

QN
05-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Oh boy... rain starting friday and running through Wednesday...

I know it's a long ways out but that's not a good sign...

Looks like high potential for MIM to mean Memphis in MUD this year. Better pack the rain gear and boots.

Fri
May 9
T-Storms 75°
65°
T-Storms
Potential for severe thunderstorms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

Sat
May 10
Scattered T-Storms 78°
63°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Sun
May 11
Isolated T-Storms 82°
65°
Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
30%

Mon
May 12
Scattered T-Storms 83°
65°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Tue
May 13
Scattered T-Storms 83°
61°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
60%

Wed
May 14
T-Storms 79°
56°
T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

TooSaucedToPork
05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Looks like high potential for MIM to mean Memphis in MUD this year. Better pack the rain gear and boots.

Fri
May 9
T-Storms 75°
65°
T-Storms
Potential for severe thunderstorms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

Sat
May 10
Scattered T-Storms 78°
63°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Sun
May 11
Isolated T-Storms 82°
65°
Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
30%

Mon
May 12
Scattered T-Storms 83°
65°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Tue
May 13
Scattered T-Storms 83°
61°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
60%

Wed
May 14
T-Storms 79°
56°
T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

We lucked out last year...I knew we'd get whacked

msavard
05-05-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm not too worried about rain leading up to it... any team who doesn't do flooring of some kind deserve to wallow in the muck. ;)

That said, if the rain could let up Wednesday and have a clear Thur/Fri/Sat I'd be very happy. Building scaffold / loading in this sat/sun is looking like it might not be too much fun...

wjwheeler
05-05-2014, 11:26 AM
This will be my first time competing with the team at MIM. Good weather would definitely be a plus.

Iamarealbigdog
05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I remember that mud pit we moved into last year, I think we lost a small smoker in the hog area. There were a lot of shoes and sandals given up to the BBQ gods the first few days of the load in

:doh:

PorkStarz
05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Update on load in passes and wristbands. After multiple calls and emails of getting no where I finally spoke to a human today and was informed that they had no idea where my information was or where my load in passes and wristbands were but they would look for them. I wanted to say thanks to Too Sauced to Pork for telling me to contact them. I hope they find that stuff soon!

msavard
05-05-2014, 04:29 PM
The Memphis in May crew have been pretty slammed with a massive music festival this past weekend, so I imagine they're just now shifting focus back over to BBQfest. The past week or two (and the next 2-3)are pretty insane for them...

kcdano
05-06-2014, 02:41 AM
Does anyone know where I can pay to park a 6' - 12' trailer from Tue - Sun. Was just going to cook on the trailer but takes up a lot of the patio division area to just have a gravity smoker on it. So want top drop the smoker, park the trailer and put down flooring. You all have talked me into the need for flooring. Need a place to park the trailer though.

Dan

The More You Drink The Better It Taste BBQ Team

msavard
05-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know where I can pay to park a 6' - 12' trailer from Tue - Sun. Was just going to cook on the trailer but takes up a lot of the patio division area to just have a gravity smoker on it. So want top drop the smoker, park the trailer and put down flooring. You all have talked me into the need for flooring. Need a place to park the trailer though.

Dan

The More You Drink The Better It Taste BBQ Team

Downtown may be kinda tough... We park our stuff a ways out down in Hernando.

You will be VERY happy you have flooring... esp with forecast as it is now. I couldn't imagine doing BBQfest without flooring.

THAT SAID, don't look now, but the forecast is taking a slight turn for the better (knock on wood).

TooSaucedToPork
05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
The 2014 Memphis in May app has a list of teams...but some are wrong.

QN
05-06-2014, 11:53 AM
The 2014 Memphis in May app has a list of teams...but some are wrong.

What is wrong? Team name? Site number? Wonder if it is from last year?

QN
05-06-2014, 12:02 PM
They still have the team names from last year on the web site...
http://www.memphisinmay.org/2013teamnames

TooSaucedToPork
05-06-2014, 12:45 PM
What is wrong? Team name? Site number? Wonder if it is from last year?

Some site numbers, Old team names + new team names (so it's not last year's list)

kcdano
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Downtown may be kinda tough... We park our stuff a ways out down in Hernando.

You will be VERY happy you have flooring... esp with forecast as it is now. I couldn't imagine doing BBQfest without flooring.

THAT SAID, don't look now, but the forecast is taking a slight turn for the better (knock on wood).

Can you give the the name of the place or number. I knew downtown wouldn't work. Just need some place in the area to park it.

Thanks

msavard
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Some site numbers, Old team names + new team names (so it's not last year's list)

Yeah we're not even listed on there :lol:

I love this festival but I swear their marketing crew are a bunch of halfwits.

msavard
05-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Soooo..umm....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/BBQfestWeather.png

TooSaucedToPork
05-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Don't you dare jinx it by commenting on the weather

msavard
05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Scaffold Going up today/Tomorrow..
Loading in Sunday and Wednesday...

We may have just gotten a bump up to 140A (7 circuits) of juice...

I'm not going to sleep well starting about...tonight. I can already tell...

Update.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/BBQfestWeather.jpg

musicmanryann
05-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Scaffold Going up today/Tomorrow..
Loading in Sunday and Wednesday...

We may have just gotten a bump up to 140A (7 circuits) of juice...

I'm not going to sleep well starting about...tonight. I can already tell...

Update.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108936453/BBQfestWeather.jpg

Sounds great! Quick question--I thought people couldn't get in until Saturday AM? Can we get in earlier if needed? Our pass says 7:00 AM on Saturday and manual says that is first load in time. Since this is our second year, I know that the manual isn't always followed to a "T" though. Lol. I got my buddies taking our trailer down Friday with an ETA of 10 pm to get some rest before getting in line to check in. Would be nice if they could drop the trailer sooner, and then have all Saturday to build our staging and stuff...Kind of a newb question I know. :wacko:

BritToby
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
just want to know whether to pack shorts or jeans, looks like its boots with either!!! Flying out Sunday and winging the setup, starting to get the buzz!!!

msavard
05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Sounds great! Quick question--I thought people couldn't get in until Saturday AM? Can we get in earlier if needed? Our pass says 7:00 AM on Saturday and manual says that is first load in time. Since this is our second year, I know that the manual isn't always followed to a "T" though. Lol. I got my buddies taking our trailer down Friday with an ETA of 10 pm to get some rest before getting in line to check in. Would be nice if they could drop the trailer sooner, and then have all Saturday to build our staging and stuff...Kind of a newb question I know. :wacko:

Our scaffold is going up by an authorized work crew (Direct Scaffold) so that's why they're in. I'm not sure about general teams/public getting in before then.

msavard
05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
just want to know whether to pack shorts or jeans, looks like its boots with either!!! Flying out Sunday and winging the setup, starting to get the buzz!!!

Depends on what you're used to. When I lived in boston I could wear T shirts in 45-50 degrees F no prob. Now I have grown soft after living down south for a while.

I'll say this:
During the day if the sun is out it FEELS hotter than it actually is. It's quite humid near the river and the breeze helps but not as much as you'd like. I personally will have shorts/sandals/tshirt during the day.

Once the sun goes down, it can get a little cooler with the breeze coming off the water.

As Niel & company with Too Sauced to Pork have stated in thier great writeups, a key to BBQfest is layering. I'll usually throw on a long sleeeve shirt or pull over and keep the shorts on. This year it might get cool enough to bring a pair of jeans down.

If the park isn't too muddy, you likely won't need boots as the booths cover almost all the grass, with the sidewalks being where people walk. There will be muddy spots of course, but with musicfest NOT getting rained on (turning the park into a mud pit 9 days before BBQfest), it should be in pretty good shape. I would DEFINITELY bring a "good conditions' foodwear option as well.

BritToby
05-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Brilliant thanks! its cooler here at the moment and picking up the new team gear tomorrow so we should be prepared!

msavard
05-08-2014, 01:52 PM
BTW to all the BBQBretheren teams...

Around 1pm on Thursday, myself and a dozen or so friends will be loading up a keg of Lagunitas IPA into our cart and we're going to do somewhat of a "Pig Crawl" (not unlike a pub crawl) through the park hitting 10-15 tents over the course of a couple hours pouring pints for anyone who wants them and saying hey to everyone.

Stops are currently planned at these Bretheren tents: Too Sauced (Neil), English Team (Toby), Team Canada (Mike), More you Drink (Dano), Pork Starz (Tom). If you're not listed and want us to stop by and pour some pints of Lagunitas, lemme know!

Cheers!

BritToby
05-08-2014, 02:02 PM
look forward to it!! Pitch is H-212 will come and say hi when i get to site early next week. The biggest gamble is going to be how much beer to get in to host all our new friends!

Iamarealbigdog
05-08-2014, 02:03 PM
We will have our FORTY CREEK WHISKEY ready to do a shot when you get there, I'm not responsible for your wobble back to Rib land...:tape:

msavard
05-08-2014, 02:06 PM
We will have our FORTY CREEK WHISKEY ready to do a shot when you get there, I'm not responsible for your wobble back to Rib land...:tape:

Shots only or am I allowed to take it over a rock to open it up a bit? Definitely itching to taste it though. Never made it by last year. Won't make that mistake this year. :)

musicmanryann
05-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Our scaffold is going up by an authorized work crew (Direct Scaffold) so that's why they're in. I'm not sure about general teams/public getting in before then.

Ahh....Thank you! We are at spot S-325 (almost clear at south end opposite river). Feel free to stop by anytime--we like beer! :-)

msavard
05-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Ahh....Thank you! We are at spot S-325 (almost clear at south end opposite river). Feel free to stop by anytime--we like beer! :-)

Ahhh my friends at MoodyQues are 2 doors down from ya at S323. We'll def drop in and say hi. Team name? Name I should ask for? MaryAnn?

Jorge
05-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Ahhh my friends at MoodyQues are 2 doors down from ya at S323. We'll def drop in and say hi. Team name? Name I should ask for? MaryAnn?

Careful, Ryan is known for his keg standing expertise.

Iamarealbigdog
05-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Team name? Name I should ask for? MaryAnn?

:doh: Music Man Ryann

But Mary Ann might stick....

And yes you can have it on the rocks,

Depending what we get from the sponsor, there may be some very very nice stuff (registered signature bottles) for my personal friends.

musicmanryann
05-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Hahaha. Iowa Barn Stormers BBQ--I'm Ryan. :razz:

TooSaucedToPork
05-08-2014, 03:42 PM
If you call MIM you can make an appointment to drop large gear early. Some teams drop as early as tonight, but you have to call and get special permission.

TooSaucedToPork
05-08-2014, 03:43 PM

Make early friends of the Moody Ques...it is usually one of the best tents in the park.

msavard
05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Ahhh hell sorry Ryan. I speedread to my detriment frequently. We'll be by with some lagunitas IPA on Thursday, sir!

PorkStarz
05-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I am leaving tomorrow, and will drive most of the way. I will finish up Saturday morning to load in. Once I get dropped off if anyone else needs help stop by. I will be at R-066 now that I have load in passes :) I am just hoping it doesn't rain too. Safe travels to everyone headed that way. Also, I can't wait for some of the beer during the "pig crawl"

TooSaucedToPork
05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
We sent in a recon mission...Our tent and floor have already been erected. Hopefully they have been put in the correct spot.

PorkStarz
05-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Me too! I am backing in a trailer lol. I wish I had someone to send in to recon, but I guess I will find out Saturday at 11.

msavard
05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Me too! I am backing in a trailer lol. I wish I had someone to send in to recon, but I guess I will find out Saturday at 11.

With slab yo mama we had a 40'x10' double decker monstrosity that weighted like 59 billion pounds. One year the lot was straight mudpit and our neighbors already had their fence up when we showed with the trailer.

Old farm boy in an F350 put that damn beast within 2" perfectly parallel to the fence... in the mud....I swear to all that is holy. Was one of the best parking jobs I've ever seen.

BoneDaddy's
05-09-2014, 10:43 PM
I am sure a few of us from Too Sauced will join you on your walk!

-frank

msavard
05-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Crap Lagunitas shipped their "Nighttime" (rare black ale) instead of "daytime" (lighter ale).

Switching to 16 kegs IPA and 8 kegs Black ale instead.

Oh well...

msavard
05-11-2014, 09:22 PM
90pct done with construction... 30pct done with decorations.
Finish decking and carpeting 3rd floor.
Hang remaining banners.
Hang curtains, Japanese lanterns & lighting
Then move in the rest of our stuff.
Light/sound, beer, meat, and redbull coming Wednesday...

BritToby
05-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Holy ....... i knew to expect some big structures but wow! arrived in memphis this evening, will head over to site at some point tomorrow to see if anything has been setup on our pitch but will mainly be messing up the room (not that anyone would notice!!) making all the sauces and rubs for the comp!

wjwheeler
05-12-2014, 05:49 AM
That's incredible. Great job!

erandolph
05-12-2014, 02:25 PM
BTW to all the BBQBretheren teams...

Around 1pm on Thursday, myself and a dozen or so friends will be loading up a keg of Lagunitas IPA into our cart and we're going to do somewhat of a "Pig Crawl" (not unlike a pub crawl) through the park hitting 10-15 tents over the course of a couple hours pouring pints for anyone who wants them and saying hey to everyone.

Stops are currently planned at these Bretheren tents: Too Sauced (Neil), English Team (Toby), Team Canada (Mike), More you Drink (Dano), Pork Starz (Tom). If you're not listed and want us to stop by and pour some pints of Lagunitas, lemme know!

Cheers!

Swing by the food court and stop by the HD trailer. not sure if you are allowed to pour any pints in the food court area but we might have some local NY brew for you to take back with ya. See you soon.

msavard
05-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Swing by the food court and stop by the HD trailer. not sure if you are allowed to pour any pints in the food court area but we might have some local NY brew for you to take back with ya. See you soon.

It's BBQfest..we can pour pints anywhere we want :mrgreen:

I will definitely swing by, sir! See you guys on Fri Night.. you'll be one of 4 birthday parties that will be going on that evening.

msavard
05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
POTENTIAL KEG SWAP OPTION
Given our lack of a light beer option, we MAY be looking swap out some kegs of IPA or Nighttime Black Ale for Bud Light kegs to bretheren teams. The conditions would be:

1) We'd ask you guys to deliver the Bud Light and Pick up the Lagunitas Kegs
2) We'd ask that you guys return the Lagunitas shells/pick up your BL shells Saturday

Pretty good chance to upgrade one or more kegs to premium microbrew on the cheap...

Who would be interested in swapping one or more out? Message here, Inbox me, or text to (901) 515-7296.

DaveAlvarado
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to attend MiM one of these years. Sadly I'll be in Memphis 2 weeks late this year.

TooSaucedToPork
05-12-2014, 04:24 PM
POTENTIAL KEG SWAP OPTION
Given our lack of a light beer option, we MAY be looking swap out some kegs of IPA or Nighttime Black Ale for Bud Light kegs to bretheren teams. The conditions would be:

1) We'd ask you guys to deliver the Bud Light and Pick up the Lagunitas Kegs
2) We'd ask that you guys return the Lagunitas shells/pick up your BL shells Saturday

Pretty good chance to upgrade one or more kegs to premium microbrew on the cheap...

Who would be interested in swapping one or more out? Message here, Inbox me, or text to (901) 515-7296.

I'm your huckleberry

msavard
05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Alrighty! Would you guys be looking for 1...2... potentially more?

TooSaucedToPork
05-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Alrighty! Would you guys be looking for 1...2... potentially more?

We can do 2 and if you need to trade more we will do it

QN
05-13-2014, 11:46 AM
They finally put the team list on the web site;
http://www.memphisinmay.org/assets/1680/2014_wcbcc_team_list_by_team_name.pdf

msavard
05-13-2014, 02:46 PM
So we have now had complaints filed against us for:
• Sponsorship Banners (working through details on that, but MANY teams do this)
• Scaffold too big (someone called code enforcement. Had to file $500 in paperworld and present engineering drawings to show it's safe, which it most definitely is).

I'm guessing the night club caliber light and sound system Nolan Audio will be installing tomorrow will likely draw a complaint from some other busybody team who's noway near our booth. (SwineO's are good friends and we always request adjacent booths, and we've got open area on the other side). lol

Good times... gotta love that MIM was didn't let ReddyIce drop off refrigeration till today, and electrical wasn't run till 1pm the day before the comp starts.

All the hiccups are taken care of... all will be right in the world once we've got that cold beer in hand and the river in sight. Hope everyone's load in is going smoothly and look forward to seeing you guys down on the river!

BoneDaddy's
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
So we have now had complaints filed against us for:
• Sponsorship Banners (working through details on that, but MANY teams do this)
• Scaffold too big (someone called code enforcement. Had to file $500 in paperworld and present engineering drawings to show it's safe, which it most definitely is).

I'm guessing the night club caliber light and sound system Nolan Audio will be installing tomorrow will likely draw a complaint from some other busybody team who's noway near our booth. (SwineO's are good friends and we always request adjacent booths, and we've got open area on the other side). lol

Good times... gotta love that MIM was didn't let ReddyIce drop off refrigeration till today, and electrical wasn't run till 1pm the day before the comp starts.

All the hiccups are taken care of... all will be right in the world once we've got that cold beer in hand and the river in sight. Hope everyone's load in is going smoothly and look forward to seeing you guys down on the river!

That sucks!

BoneDaddy's
05-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Ok, who will have the bruins Montreal game playing tomorrow night?

msavard
05-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Ok, who will have the bruins Montreal game playing tomorrow night?

I wish... Go B's!

QN
05-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Oh well, No Memphis in May for me this year. Brother just cancelled so I'm not going this time. Maybe next year....
Good luck to all you guys competing! I know the parties will be a success....

Iamarealbigdog
05-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I wish... Go B's!

So sorry about your loss...

Go Habs...:boxing: Whoot Whoot

Came by that monster site early Saturday morning..... YIKES:shocked: