PDA

View Full Version : Texas Top 50 BBQ Tour/ my rankings

schooner
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Spent last week doing Texas Onthl;y BBQ tour. Hit 10 joint ( one technically not on list this year. we order brisket, ribs sausage, with the exception being franklins. after 2.5 hours, i orderedthe whole menu.

here are my rankings

1. Franklin BBQ- worth the wait, best overall. talked with Aaron Franklin for 15 minutes. ordered the whole menu.
2. Hays Coutny BBQ- San Marcos- tied with Franklin for the best food.
3. Blacks BBQ-Lockhart. Best on Luling/Lockhart area
4. Cty Market-Luling- Pit room is worth the trip alone
5. Brooks Place- Cypress- dont let this little trailer keep you from ordering. Had the full menu been available, probably been higher up.
6. Kreuz Market-Lockhart- the largest joint on the tour. solid offerings
7.Virgies- Houston- another suprise. ribs were huge, brisket grea
8. Louie Mueller bbq-Taylor- what a bbq joint should look like, free samples when ordering, but food was a little letdown
9. Snittys-Lockhart- you enter in the pit area, which is nice to see, and i like the long tables, eat with your neighbors, but food was a little dry.( not on top 50 list this year)
10. City Meat Market-Giddings- we got there at a bad time, and they advised us not much left. just had brisket, it was dry, but the sausage they were making looked darn good. will give it another try.

sliding_billy
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the write-up. So you didn't try the beef ribs at Louie Mueller?

JS-TX
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Been to your top 2. They are both great. Somethin' bout that Franklin brisket though! Did you get a tour of the pits? Last time I went, he wasn't there but his mgr. gave me the tour of the smokers.. lots of space on those pits!

schooner
01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
i wanted all places to have equal opportunity, so i only ordered the 3 meats. i did get a tour of all the pits at franklin with the man himself. pretty humble guy for all his success.

bbq.tom
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your top 10 review!

I've done similar in North Carolina. Fun work!!!

luke duke
01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
You missed 2 top 10 spots while you were in Austin.

FatCoyote
01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
You missed 2 top 10 spots while you were in Austin.

I count 3