PDA

View Full Version : Holding

Qbert60
01-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Can you hold your big meats too long? Wow I just read that back to myself and it didn't sound good.

I have always cooked at 275*. Big meats normally start at 3am and off by 8-9am. Is holding them for 4 hours detrimental for comp cooking? How long do you normally hold you big meats prior to turn in. WOW, this just isn't sounding good at all. :):redface:

rookiedad
01-06-2014, 10:48 AM
i hold my big meats all morning 'till noon sometimes. i always keep mine wrapped in a towel.

i don't think i made this siduation any better! :wink:

JD McGee
01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
2-3 hours for brisket...1-2 for pork butts is the norm for us.

Fat Freddy
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Can you hold your big meats too long? Wow I just read that back to myself and it didn't sound good.

I have always cooked at 275*. Big meats normally start at 3am and off by 8-9am. Is holding them for 4 hours detrimental for comp cooking? How long do you normally hold you big meats prior to turn in. WOW, this just isn't sounding good at all. :):redface:

Your timeline is pretty close to mine. As a matter of fact if stuff isnt off by 9 at the latest, then i have to fire up a different cooker to be ready by 10am and I cook at 275*.

One thing I will add though is at my last comp of the season i was finally able to buy a Cambro and I followed my time line and way of doing things exactly like I always did. I did not know I should vent anything and when I opened the cambro to pull out the pork and it was so hot in there it continued to cook and overcooked badly my pork and brisket. So depending on how you plan on holding you might have to adjust a bit.