PDA

View Full Version : The Guinea Pig BBQ Championship

arlieque
01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
The Guinea Pig
Promoted by Arlie Bragg along with Big Poppa Smokers

A private back to the basics BBQ contest
Feb 22, 2014 Indio California

Remember when BBQ contests were about friends getting together to see who could cook the cheapest cuts of meat the best? Remember when a WSM was a big cooker? Tired of $800 contests? Tired of finishing 3rd and not getting any money? Big Poppa Smokers is here to try a new format. This, “back to the basics,” contest is essentially a cost-controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize pool, and a weekend in the Palm Springs area during peak season.

BACK TO THE BASICS

Here is the deal. This is a stripped down contest with a single entry fee of $400 that includes all your meat. That’s right, everybody cooks the same meat. Meat is assigned randomly by a ping pong ball draw. Meat provided is 1 choice brisket, a 2-pack of butts, a 3-pack of ribs and 9 chicken thighs.

Your $400 entry also allows you to stay on-site and enjoy the amenities of our host site, The Shadow Hills RV Resort (http://www.shadowhillsrvresort.com) for two nights, a Saturday night mega potluck, heated pool, exercise and game room... and it's even kid and pet friendly!

We are shooting for 50 teams with a $10,000 prize purse. But in the, “Back to the Basics,” series we pay the top ten overall and top ten in each category.

We are also hosting a Kid's Que and Dessert Competition. Kid's Que will have no entry fee, and any Kid's Teams that enter will be provided with a Mini Weber that they get to keep after the contest!

On Saturday, we are going to have a post-awards dessert potluck, all teams are welcome to contribute their best dessert dish! Pizza will also be available for teams during the pot luck.

The Guinea Pig is a KCBS competitor series event with KCBS scoring, rules, judging, and reps. It is everything you would find at a KCBS contest, except there is no team of the year or category points. Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh are the KCBS Contest Representatives for this event.

For more info contact Arlie Bragg

arlieque@comcast.net

DUBBAGA
01-03-2014, 09:23 PM
More info here
http:// http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Guinea_Pig

JD McGee
01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Pretty cool...:cool:

Biged92
01-04-2014, 02:29 AM
I am looking forward to this event. Sounds like it's going to be a great contest to kick off the 2014 season with.

Scottie
01-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Very cool Arlie and Sterling. Trying to see if I can work it out so that I can come out for this.

sdbbq1234
01-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Cool! Nice idea. I am sure it will be a success! Only wish we could make it.

wallace

Big Poppa
01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
love to have you Scottie!

MikeJ65
01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Just curious, is the fact that meat is provided the reason that this has to be 'competitor's series' instead of a points contest?

big brother smoke
01-04-2014, 01:06 PM
App in the mail. :becky:

lcbateman3
01-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Now this is interesting....

Big Poppa
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
yes KCBS thinks that it shouldnt get points. I strongly disagree but oh well....you get cbbqa points if you are a California cook.

Stark-O-Rama
01-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Sounds FANTASTIC!

The Drill Sargent
01-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Very Excited, the whole family is coming and cooking!

Mandreyka
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Is this open to the public? My dad lives right there in shadow hills.

big brother smoke
01-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Very Excited, the whole family is coming and cooking!

And that is part of what this contest is about! :thumb:

Go Matty!

Old Virginia Smoke
01-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Very cool. Would love to do it...wish I lived in Cali. Would be cool to have something like that here on the East Coast.

Rub
01-06-2014, 12:02 AM
I love the idea and wish I was close enough to compete in this. Well thought out and I'm sure it will be a very well run event. Kudos to Sterling and BPS!

JD McGee
01-06-2014, 10:52 AM
I can see these popping up all over the US! What a great cost saving family event...way to go Big Poppa and Arlie! :thumb:

Candy Sue
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Just curious, is the fact that meat is provided the reason that this has to be 'competitor's series' instead of a points contest?

KCBS Rule #7:

When the contest
organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to
enter only that meat.

Offthehook
01-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Can any team apply?

JD McGee
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
KCBS Rule #7:

When the contest
organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to
enter only that meat.

Loos like a contestant choice to me...:cool: So...if ALL contestants choose to use the supplied meats...what's the problem? :confused:

Butcher BBQ
01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I personally think that meat selection and proper aging is when your Pit master skills start not at noon on Friday. I do think there is a place for these contest but as a back yarder contest. So the competitor sanctioning would be the correct place, just my two cents.

I see on the KCBS it was added Jan 2 that in itself is one possible reason its not fully sanctioned. They have to have 90 days prior to the event to fully sanction it. Maybe it was and this is when it got on the web site.

Actually this would open the door for more push for a Pro TOY.

Podge
01-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I do agree with you, that having the experience and know-how to select the right meat that you want for a contest is an important attribute. Probably one of my most important aspects of doing a competition in my opinion. It is very intriguing to me though, to be supplied all the same meat as everyone else. Also, it is very nice to know that you don’t have to worry about going out and buying meat, or worrying that it’ll ship on time, etc. I like the idea too, of thinking that I can cook “XX” brand chicken thighs better than the next guy J..

Candy Sue
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I love the concept here! It's an economical way for someone to dip their toes in the competition pond without major capital outlay. With that said, would the competitors that this concept appeals to (assuming amateur backyard cooks) even be looking for team of the year points? Would you really want ToY points to draw the heavy-weight cookers in? I think regional ToY points are spot on. Logically, these cooks will be cooking regions not out cruising the roads.

JD McGee
01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I love the concept here! It's an economical way for someone to dip their toes in the competition pond without major capital outlay. With that said, would the competitors that this concept appeals to (assuming amateur backyard cooks) even be looking for team of the year points? Would you really want ToY points to draw the heavy-weight cookers in? I think regional ToY points are spot on. Logically, these cooks will be cooking regions not out cruising the roads.

I guess it depends on the edge the team is looking for...if they are afraid of a level playing field then these are not the comps for them. Personally I welcome the challenge! :cool:

Podge
01-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Regardless, I think there is still a major capital outlay, for some of us anyway. For me to do a contest like this, saves me approx. $250.. yes, its good money saved! (I pay $250 for an entry, about $400 in meat, or do this contest, that basically breaks down to $250 entry and $150 meat).. So, having said that, instead of a contest costing me $1,000 to do, a contest like this is $750 for me. I still have to lug a 5th wheel, cooker, etc.. but what is attractive to me about this kind of contest, is it levels the playing field on the issue of meat. For me, it was awesome to cook KOS with the meat I was provided. I was very happy with some of it, not as happy with other parts. but knowing everybody else was in the same boat is a great feeling.

Podge
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I’ll tell ya what I’d like to do sometime too.. Pay $400 for an entry including meat… go to a contest that allows nothing but drums, WSM’s or offset type smokers. No pellets, no gurus, no insulated cookers, no gravity feds, etc.. just very basic type smokers that work in principal to what your neighbor can find at a hardware store. Turn ins start at 4:00pm, awards at 8:00-9:00 pm. You can get there at 6:00 am saturday, set up your EZ ups in the 20x20 space, cook hot-n-fast. if you prefer to just be there one day, or show up the night before, and start earlier in the morning. Miss no work, and spend roughly $500 for a chance of $10,000. I still really enjoy what I do now in KCBS contests, but damn this kind of contest sounds really fun and challenging!

DaveAlvarado
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
That would be fun. I'm wanting to get into competition, and a contest like that would be a blast for a first one. Meat provided, no smokers over $1000. Good luck. :)

Rich Parker
01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Regardless, I think there is still a major capital outlay, for some of us anyway. For me to do a contest like this, saves me approx. $250.. yes, its good money saved! (I pay $250 for an entry, about $400 in meat, or do this contest, that basically breaks down to $250 entry and $150 meat).. So, having said that, instead of a contest costing me $1,000 to do, a contest like this is $750 for me. I still have to lug a 5th wheel, cooker, etc.. but what is attractive to me about this kind of contest, is it levels the playing field on the issue of meat. For me, it was awesome to cook KOS with the meat I was provided. I was very happy with some of it, not as happy with other parts. but knowing everybody else was in the same boat is a great feeling.

$400 in meat?? Wagyu pork and chicken or what? :D

Big Poppa
01-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Butcher and Candy I appreciate your thoughts but the sign up are telling a different story. WE are getting all kinds...newbies, used to cooks and some very large teams....this is another choice. IF people like i we will have more. Im for more than 5 awards for 7000 teams so if its regional fine or 13-25 cooks (left Coast won that this year) or 12 and under (Rhythm n que won that one)...that would be cool too..

The attraction we are hearing is a cost controlled contest....and a redistribution of the prize pool.

David I think that managing a fire is big part of being a pitmaster too...that's what makes it great...we can have aged meat and pellet cookers...un aged meat and drums...tons of choices. As long as we have nice places to cook

Butcher BBQ
01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Butcher and Candy I appreciate your thoughts but the sign up are telling a different story. WE are getting all kinds...newbies, used to cooks and some very large teams....this is another choice. IF people like i we will have more. Im for more than 5 awards for 7000 teams so if its regional fine or 13-25 cooks (left Coast won that this year) or 12 and under (Rhythm n que won that one)...that would be cool too..

The attraction we are hearing is a cost controlled contest....and a redistribution of the prize pool.

David I think that managing a fire is big part of being a pitmaster too...that's what makes it great...we can have aged meat and pellet cookers...un aged meat and drums...tons of choices. As long as we have nice places to cook
Absolutely on the fire control, I do believe that is part of the challenge and fun of cooking. I just wanted to point out that the meat provided isn't going to be the sole thing to level the playing field.

You know what would be a cool study. Is to have the cookers tell you how many contest they do a year, how many they have done total and see how the seasoned teams verse the new teams place. Then we could tell if the meat is an equal play or not.

Podge
01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
$400 in meat?? Wagyu pork and chicken or what? :D

A couple wagyu's take up most of that money!:shocked:

Big Poppa
01-06-2014, 10:20 PM
David its going to be a blast crunching the stats afterwards. Thx for understanding that the biggest features of this is cost control and a redistribution of prize money. I really had no idea how this would fly hence the guinea pig title

jimbloomfield
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
This will be the first contest we compete it. Guinea Pig seemed to fit the bill and we know if Big Poppa is involved it will be a great time for all. The $400 fixed cost at a nice place sealed the deal for my wife Patty and I. Looking forward to it!

Big Poppa
01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Jim Patty can enter the dessert too...that maple cake is a favorite

LTG
01-06-2014, 11:46 PM
I’ll tell ya what I’d like to do sometime too.. Pay $400 for an entry including meat… go to a contest that allows nothing but drums, WSM’s or offset type smokers. No pellets, no gurus, no insulated cookers, no gravity feds, etc.. just very basic type smokers that work in principal to what your neighbor can find at a hardware store. Turn ins start at 4:00pm, awards at 8:00-9:00 pm. You can get there at 6:00 am saturday, set up your EZ ups in the 20x20 space, cook hot-n-fast. if you prefer to just be there one day, or show up the night before, and start earlier in the morning. Miss no work, and spend roughly $500 for a chance of $10,000. I still really enjoy what I do now in KCBS contests, but damn this kind of contest sounds really fun and challenging!
I'm all for something like that as well.

Scottie
01-06-2014, 11:49 PM
I think too much is made of TOY. Points effect I would say less than 10% of comp teams. If points chasers are worried about points, then they don't cook it. I personally applaud Sterling for thinking out of the box. I truly hope that it is embraced by not only the teams, but by KCBS as well. I should also include Arlie Bragg as well.

Big Poppa
01-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Im starting to really like Scottie.

Scottie
01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Lol.

I think KCBS gets lost on what their agenda should really be. Sam's Club and TOY are great races that effect the smallest of percentages of the KCBS membership. This concept welcomes teams of all abilities.

big matt
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
This will be the first contest we compete it. Guinea Pig seemed to fit the bill and we know if Big Poppa is involved it will be a great time for all. The $400 fixed cost at a nice place sealed the deal for my wife Patty and I. Looking forward to it!

Wow very cool Jim..watch out this guy knows his BBQ!

big matt
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Can't wait to cook this one..taking the meat selection process out of the equation is the thing that will level the field the most..I'd actually like to see nothing but drums and cheap offsets with no foil but that's another contest..and from my past experiences cooking provided meat I welcome the challenge and I'm excited to see the outcome.

kenthanson
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I really like the idea, wish it was a tad closer so we could compete.

It has already been mentioned but I don't think this is the comp to run just drums and stick burners, lots of potential teams that are thinking about making the jump to comps have always cooked with gadgets or pellet cookers, etc. so you make it a very enticing comp for new teams with taking out the 'meat stress' and than adding in cooker restrictions.

I will make a parallel with professional bowling, the equipment was getting so good, and lanes dressed to match the equipment and the players so well coached that scores were at an all time high. So what the PBA did was make a plastic ball challenge, the best of the best all got the same ball and bowled on a tough pattern to see who was the most skilled. They didn't start it in regionals were the fringe guys were who were just trying to catch on because they are just trying to catch on and they don't have the luxury of being able to practice both styles because bowling isn't how they make money and they only have so much time to invest into practicing and the pros who don't have a another job outside of bowling would be able to spend that time practicing both styles.

Big Poppa
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
there are no restrictions on cookers at the Guinea Pig...people are talking about other contests they would like to see...

What I need to make sure I get across is that I am billing this as a cost controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize purse. The residual benefits is a leveling of the field...It is something for the dollar whipped american smoker...ok canadian too!

kenthanson
01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
there are no restrictions on cookers at the Guinea Pig...people are talking about other contests they would like to see...

What I need to make sure I get across is that I am billing this as a cost controlled contest with a redistribution of the prize purse. The residual benefits is a leveling of the field...It is something for the dollar whipped american smoker...ok canadian too!

Oh for sure, I just seen some other comments that might have reflected that point of view.

jimbloomfield
01-07-2014, 10:31 PM
We will be cooking on a BPS Drum and WSM,keeping in the spirit of the back to basics. This allows us to haul the cookers on a cargo carrier behind our 95 Motorhome. Excited it should be fun!

big brother smoke
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Get em, Jim!

Ryan Chester
01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Love the idea and can not wait!

Big Poppa
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Candy Sue I have been digesting this for a few days....There are regional bbq associations that all have team of the year....if KCBS is the national sanctioning body why cant they offer three divisions? WHy does KCBS want ot be regional?

Candy Sue
01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
BP, I don't understand your second question! KCBS doesn't have 3 divisions because there's never been dividing lines. ToY has always been a national thing. Evolution is a slow process at KCBS (and that's not a bad thing, IMO!).

Podge
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I want TOY for someone who cooks as little as I do. Not too many of us can cook 30-40 contests a year. And just because someone can, doesn't necessarily mean they are the best, and just because someone can't cook more than 8 a year, doesn't mean they aren't that good.
(pipe dream) I’d love to someday be sponsored enough to be able to quit my job, travel to 40 contests, and go for the TOY. I’d love to make a run for it. Play KCBS’s game as it’s written now.

Alexa RnQ
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I want TOY for someone who cooks as little as I do. Not too many of us can cook 30-40 contests a year. And just because someone can, doesn't necessarily mean they are the best, and just because someone can't cook more than 8 a year, doesn't mean they aren't that good.
Batting average?

Scottie
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
No you don't Podge. Besides bragging rights, I'm not really sure its worth it. Just like chasing those bings for the Jack. Too much work and not enough rewards

Podge
01-09-2014, 04:02 PM
No you don't Podge. Besides bragging rights, I'm not really sure its worth it. Just like chasing those bings for the Jack. Too much work and not enough rewards

The key thing in my post to do 40 contests, is to be sponsored, and quit my job. :biggrin1:.. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do 30-40 without some freedoms to do so.

Pappy Q
01-09-2014, 04:20 PM
The key thing in my post to do 40 contests, is to be sponsored, and quit my job. :biggrin1:.. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do 30-40 without some freedoms to do so.

Maybe you can talk your wife into working multiple jobs to make it happen? Didn't work for me but maybe you:thumb:

ThomEmery
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
This is going to be fun!
So we decided to make the long drive in for this

Kit R
01-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Very cool. Would love to do it...wish I lived in Cali. Would be cool to have something like that here on the East Coast.

You do. Go Naked BBQ Show Ironman. April 5, 2014.

Kit R
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM

You do. Go Naked BBQ Show Ironman. April 5, 2014.

fireman_pete
01-12-2014, 01:07 AM
We are really looking forward to this contest. We might leave the pellet cookers at home, and just cook on the BPS drums....But I will not be happy about having to prep chicken at the contest, however since it is just 9 pieces, I better take my time and not screw it up :-) I normally start with 30 pieces of chicken, to cook my 18 :-)

gavadsbbq
01-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Looks like we're in as well. Going to bring just 2 UDS and minimal equip. It'll be nice not having to haul everything for PC, though I do enjoy a good crowd lined up in front of the tent!

DUBBAGA
01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Looks like we're in as well. Going to bring just 2 UDS and minimal equip. It'll be nice not having to haul everything for PC, though I do enjoy a good crowd lined up in front of the tent!
Welcome to the Brethren... fyi, you have one of the best logo's!!

http://gavadsbbq.com/images/bg_z3gk.jpg

DUBBAGA
02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Was walking around earlier and it looks like this is gonna be a tough competition, lots of top tier teams. Good luck everyone.

DUBBAGA
02-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Sterling just gave a great speech at the judges meeting about his inspiration for the contest. This is the start of a new era in BBQ

DUBBAGA
02-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Fantastic contest, great venue and the BP crew are top notch. What a first effort!

jimbloomfield
02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
This was our first competition we choose to compete at. We have been to a bunch all over the west in the last few years and as a CBJ judged I have judged my share. Our goal was to get our food in on time and not get a dal or DQ in any category(Which we were close on pork to dal). Total expense minus fuel for the motorhome was under $500,including the $400 entry. Something we can afford to do.

Observations

Sterling Ball's Big Poppa Smokers and their crew run a top notch BBQ Comp

Arlie Bragg, Kelly and Kathleen (Mrs McIntosh) are Great at what they do with all the comps including this one

Having family with their children involved cooking and competing is a plus for any event. We need to teach our kids to cook!

Doing a BBQ Competition is a LOT of work.

Having the meat supplied, meant we all cook the same product and had the same amount of time to prep it.

If you ever need a place to park you RV for a few days in Indio CA the Shadow Hills RV Resort is the place.

You can do a BBQ comp with just a inverter and never run a generator.

One Day all teams that competed in whatever this "New Class of BBQ competition series" ends up being named will be able to say " We Cooked at the first one"!

We will cook at this every year we can. When it comes to your part of the BBQ world enter right away.

Big Poppa hires some of the nicest folks we have had the opportunity to meet.

Everyone we talked to was helpful and offered help, advice, BBQ secrets when asked. Nice group of teams and their families. Here are a handful of photos in no order.
http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-36f5H9q/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140118-X3.jpg

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-GPTdphQ/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140120-X3.jpg

Our Setup

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-6GWwS2C/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140007-X3.jpg

Sunrise

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-Wx56HPQ/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140049-X3.jpg

General Photos

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-zBSvPF8/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140017-X3.jpg
http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-z95QNTJ/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140042-X3.jpg
http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-fcqdSBc/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140044-X3.jpg
http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-n63xD6n/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140083-X3.jpg
http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-zjQjrnM/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140097-X3.jpg

Ever wonder where " Big Brother Smoke" got his name?

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-gP4Sq57/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140090-X3.jpg

BP and the kids that competed

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Guinea-Pig-2014-BBQ/i-TtRmLdG/0/X3/Guinea%20Pig-20140113-X3.jpg

Butcher BBQ
02-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Congrats on your first cook and good looking pictures.

JD McGee
02-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Congrats to Jerry and Jason (Burnin' and Lootin') for GC and Will and Amy (Got Smoke BBQ) for RGC! Congrats to all who got a call as well in a very tough (but level) field of competitors!

Great feedback Jim! :-D. Thanks for sharing your observations and photos. This event sounds like a keeper! Hope to see one up here in the Northwest soon...

Big Poppa
02-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jim Im kinda tired but it was everything I had hoped for. Controlled cost, wide payout, more families, great kids que and I mean great, really great desserts including a 180, Biggest BBQ potluck I have ever seen and I bought a ton of pizzas for the after party..Arlie the BPS Staff Kelly and Kathleen and the staff and owners of the host resort all were amazing.

We were able to give the competitor better than we promised thanks to Sterling Meat (no relation)Company stepping in and donating great meat including prime brisket.

big brother smoke
02-23-2014, 08:55 PM
This was great contest. The Kid's Que was worth the price of admission itself!
Thanks, Sterling Meats, Sterling, Arlie, Kathleen and Kelly as well as the BPS and Shadow Cliffs Staff.

MikeJ65
02-23-2014, 09:09 PM
We were able to give the competitor better than we promised thanks to Sterling Meat (no relation)Company stepping in and donating great meat including prime brisket.

I was wondering about that. I saw a prepped brisket on twitter and thought they got a pretty got pick for a choice.

Scottie
02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Congrats Sterling. Now bring some to the Midwest!!!

Rub
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Sounds pretty awesome, congratulations BPS! I hope it catches on and spreads. Count on my support if/when it makes it to my area of the country.

Big Poppa
02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
yeah scattered whining even though there were huge chicken.....one contestant said "my chicken is too big" I asked him if he had a knife....Its great to view a contest from a promoters side.

Meat Man
02-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Any event that's team centered is gonna be great. Sterling, Arlie, the BPS staff and Shadow Hills RV park went above and beyond to accommodate everyone. It was great to see so many families there with their kids running around having fun, and the dessert pot luck / pizza party after the awards were great. The live music was fantastic. Everyone who cooked this contest was in the same boat. The meat was comp worthy. Was it perfect, no; but we didn't expect it to be. The thing that intrigued me the most about this contest was the challenge of getting handed a box of meat and doing your best with it. I'm sure there are cooks all over the country that would welcome that challenge. I think my wife put it best "one of the best ever!" Well done Sterling.

PS. Great pics Jim (I just might snag one) and congrats on you first competition.

DUBBAGA
02-24-2014, 07:52 AM
yeah scattered whining even though there were huge chicken.....one contestant said "my chicken is too big" I asked him if he had a knife....Its great to view a contest from a promoters side.
Speaking as a judge, I can second that statement about the size of the chickens provided to the teams. All but one of the thighs presented to my table were massive, and the smallest one had been de-boned, or it might have been the largest of the bunch (they just barely fit on the judging plate).

My wife and I were so impressed by the contest, that we made a point to stay around for the awards ceremony. Enjoyed the opportunity to speak with Thom for a while as we were sitting there and waiting. We watched as the teams started coming over for the awards, while bringing a ton of desserts. It was so much fun to hear their excitement, there was such a positive "vibe" at The Guinea Pig. Based on the size of the room where the awards were going to be handed out, and the maximum occupancy allowed, we could tell that there would not be enough room for us to be present without taking spots for some of the teams that competed - my guess is there were 200+ people present for the awards, and the room was only permitted for 130-160.

At least we had the opportunity to take a nap on the couch by the pool while waiting for the awards :sleep:

Big Poppa
02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
will thanks but I need to point out that the butts were 10lbs average, the ribs damn good and as you know as a butcher and supplier rarely are you able to get four perfect meats for a contest.... I love that Sterling meat donated such top quality product. Also I dont want this to get derailed....I think that it was just flat out over the top great and the comments all of us got were what a great time....

I heard "Damn, I should have brought my kids" the most. The resort was super kid friendly...wives and kids in the pool most of saturday morning..soccer games...Competitors in the jaccuzzi waiting for awards ...and the money was spread around pretty good and the teams that cooked well and got multiple calls made good money.

One three person team that never does particularly well cot a decent call and a $100 bucks..the contest cost them $100 each...they were over the top...They said "Wow two nights in palm spirngs...hanging at Shadow Hills RV resort, our kids got a mini weber and our wives had fun at a comp for the first time in a long time.

big brother smoke
02-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Let's not forget about the pay structure. I get to fight another day based on this pay out structure. I re-couped my cost and got enough left for another contest, this does not happen often with the calls I got :-D

Meat Man
02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
It is hard to get four perfect meats. And to tell you the truth, :oops: I did better with your meat than I do with my own. Hehehe!

big matt
02-24-2014, 01:27 PM
I think most of us that know Sterling personally already knew going into this contest it would be a success..there are very few people I've met in life that can actually talk about a dream then MAKE IT HAPPEN!.not just once but over and over..anyway I agree with all that was said above and I never had a doubt in the world buddy..big thanks to the whole BPS staff(true pros that love their jobs)and the wonderful people that own and run the Shadow Hills resort..last but not least congrats to Jerry and Jason on their GC and to Will and Amy in RGC..congrats to all of the rest that walked

Smitty250
02-24-2014, 02:13 PM
What a great time we had! You know when Big Poppa is involved that it will be top notch! The whole Big Poppa staff, Shadow Hills RV Resort, Arlie, Kelly and Kathleen were amazing! This is an event geared toward the whole family and getting everyone involved. The meat we were provided was definitely Competition worthy (Probably the best brisket I've seen in a long time!) Thanks again for all the hard work putting this together and to everyone involved. Can't wait for G-Pig #2!

DanB
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi All Sounds like a great comp..
Thanks DanB

QN
02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Good contest! Glad I got to go out and judge this one. Brisket entries were impressive with no wagyu. Sterling and company did a great job on this one. Glad I got to be one of the guinea pigs...

JerryA
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
HUGE thanks to Big Poppa for putting on this contest! Surely felt like we were part of something special. Everyone involved in running the contest was AMAZING, Arlie, K&K, the BPS crew, the Shadow Hills Staff.. just AMAZING..
Good seeing everyone, see most of you in Havasu!

DerrickG
02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Great contest, good times, good neighbors (Smitty and Lucky13) and focusing on the whole family.
The fact of going to a contest with no confidence in the cooler already prepped is the worst. Who knows what you will get...well, it was good stuff. You get what you get so cook it.
With all these heavy hitters, I wish we would have done better but I never felt bullied...not even once. :)

Big Poppa
02-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Derrick thats a bunch...Im glad no one bullied you! has Zach had his own trophies made?

DerrickG
02-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Naw, he has one he's proud of...looking for that next step..GC.

Andrews
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Derrick thats a bunch...Im glad no one bullied you! has Zach had his own trophies made?

I hope you don't mind, I'm having both my ribbons made into 6' trophies with a 14k gold cow and chicken on top.....

big matt
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Good contest! Glad I got to go out and judge this one. Brisket entries were impressive with no wagyu. Sterling and company did a great job on this one. Glad I got to be one of the guinea pigs...

Good to see you all the way out in our neck of the woods Mark..nice of you to stop by and say hi..see ya down the trail

Ryan Chester
02-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Event was incredible. It was the first time I got to enjoy the contest for what it was. It was a nice change not having a circus of people around. Don't get me wrong, I like the big crowd shows but it was nice to keep it low key for once. Well done, Sterling, BPS crew, and Arlie.

Sylvie
02-26-2014, 12:28 AM
We were positioned on a lovely grassy field. Lots of space for the kids to hang out and play and our doggy pets loved the attention from them. The meats randomly distributed to each team by the reps were quality. The attention from resort and BPS personnel was extraordinaire. Location of the judges tent from team sites was very good. Us Guinea Pigs proved that this setup works and to the advantage of the teams. I recouped nearly all my registration fee in winnings which by my placement would never have occurred in the distribution system of most contests. I'm a happy camper.