PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Legs

hogzgonewild
01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
So I've been pondering the idea of trying chicken legs for competitions. Does anyone have any insight on how to prep them for cooking? (Trimming, Skin, brine or inject, etc.)

I ordered a leg holder to hang them on inside the smoker,i figured it would help make them easier to sauce and give them a uniform look. I'm not sure if I should start them out in some butter or broth like thighs, or go straight smoked for the whole time.

Thanks for any help you guys may have.

EverettBBQ
01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Gave it a try once.
It was lucky, only a pratice run.
Kept on a leg rack 100% of time.
Way to smokey.
No way to know if judge is going to take the one bite in the middle of cartilage:mad:
I have stuck with thighs with great results.

Give it a try, but practice before the event.

Good luck:clap2::clap2:

Podge
01-02-2014, 07:24 AM
I cooked them in a contest once. brined, put rub on it where I could, turned them all in. didn't get to taste them since I only had 4, and had to turn in other chicken parts. Good enough for 6th place.. in practice, the legs were good, and I really like how they look in the box.. not lollypoped, just natural. I am trying to talk myself to do it in a regular contest.

bover
01-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Our chicken scores have taken a big leap forward since switching to lollipop legs. Prep time has gone way down too. Remove the skin, brine, lollipop, rub, then smoke in an aluminum pan with margarine at around 400*, then sauce & box. Incredibly simple and consistent as well as judge-pleasing.

hogzgonewild
01-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Our chicken scores have taken a big leap forward since switching to lollipop legs. Prep time has gone way down too. Remove the skin, brine, lollipop, rub, then smoke in an aluminum pan with margarine at around 400*, then sauce & box. Incredibly simple and consistent as well as judge-pleasing.

So you leave Skin off completely?

BillyVoltaire
01-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I have seen two versions: French Cut legs and normal legs. I know of a few teams that do very well with normal chicken legs.

I like the idea of French Cutting them and pulling out as many of the tendons as you can. I have practiced these with very good success (in my opinion which doesn't mean a whole lot, hehe), done about four different methods - butter bath, no butter bath, on hanging rack, gluing the skin on (meat glue). Definitely going to try this route this year in a couple of contests.

Toying on whether to brine or inject now (or maybe even both).

BV

Uncle Buds BBQ
01-02-2014, 09:27 AM
This past season I worked about a dozen KCBS contests and never once saw skinless legs.

I have heard you MUST soak them so either they are removing the skin and then adding it back or just soaking the skin too.

There are a few teams in GA that have been doing nothing but legs for awhile. Maybe they will chime in.

bover
01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Yep. Leave the skin off completely. The brine combined with the high heat cook leaves them nice and juicy without having to mess with skin. No complaints so far.

EverettBBQ
01-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Got any photos?

BB-Kuhn
01-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I've taken 1st place with lollipop legs before - never had any success with thighs (though I thought they always tasted great).

I put the 'pops in an AL pan (they sit upright pretty well on the cut edge) with some butter, with my rubs on the skin. Smoke at 250 for an hour, then remove, drain most of the butter out and then toss the pan into an indirect hot kettle grill (don't know temp, prob 375-425) until done (about 30-45 min). Sauce, then back on the grill to set the sauce for 5 min or so.

Crispy skin, and so juicy it splashes over your cheek when you take a bite.

fat heads bbq
01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/r90/p403x403/1395435_218065955028309_1196241743_n.jpg

These took 3rd in Rocky Mount NC

RumRunner_1492
01-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Damn. Something else to have to experiment with.

hogzillas
01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I've used the wing/leg holders & didn't find them very useful as the leg knuckles were too small to hold properly so legs just fell off at some point if they fit at all but that could've just been my model of holder.

EverettBBQ
01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Legs look nice
Can you give me some help on how to prep and cook them?
Thanks