PDA

View Full Version : Comp Brisket Question

Dcon
12-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Ran a hot and fast practice yesterday, ran it between 325-350 wraped ,at 165 Bark looked good, cooked untill thickest part of the flat probed tender, vented about 10-15 min then Put the point back on the cooker, wraped the flat in towel placed it in a dry cooler rested about a hour an half, flat sliced nicely and was happy with the tenderness, my problem is the bark had turned mushy ( tried not to put my rub on to thick ) should I try to wipe the mush off before slicing? Has anyone ever tried a chefs torch on the surface to harden up the bark before slicing?

Big Mike
12-29-2013, 02:10 PM
You could try putting the brisket back on the cooker for a bit to set the bark a bit.

Using a chefs torch at a comp would be against the rules.

WineMaster
12-29-2013, 02:17 PM
IMO Color is a benefit but bark is over-rated.

midwest_kc
12-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't worry much about bark, except on the burnt ends.

Dcon
12-29-2013, 02:44 PM
You are right Big Mike the torch would be against the rules, brain fart on my part

rookiedad
12-29-2013, 07:43 PM
a few things right here, and remember i'm no expert but i think you are right. bark is composed of the surface of the MEAT not a layer of sugar and spices mounded on and cooked into a crust. if anything, the bark should be represented by texture and flavor from the surface down into the meat, not the surface up into a layer as stated. a layer of spices on the surface in my experience will always become mush in foil for any amount of time.
as competitors we always feel we have to get this high powered flavor and that kind of gets us to heaping on this layer of spices at the expence of balance between the flavor of the spice and the flavor of the meat.
a light layer of rub left to dissolve and soak in provides a bark made of the surface of the cooked meat, not the spice itself.
also, experement with butcher paper instead of foil. try also putting a small rack in a foil pan, then whan it comes time to foil cover instead of wrapping.

Dcon
12-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks rookiedad I have not tried the foil pan method or butcher paper before, it's just the flavor from the crust that forms on the burnt ends adds so much to the flavor I would like to get that on my flat slices.

Know Bull
12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
I do not believe that bark is important to KCBS judges. Especially when the top scores are grouped so closely together - I want nothing crunchy in my box.
Get certified as a judge and go judge a couple of contests and see what the others are turning in. You will probably abandon the quest for bark.
I believe that wrapping to protect the color once it reaches mahogany is far better image for the judges eyes.

Candy Sue
12-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Crunchy bark = hard to slice neatly flat slices.

ramtuf6
12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
IMO Color is a benefit but bark is over-rated.

Plus ten!

Darby Dan
12-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Burnt ends need to be saucy to win.........

BBQBeaver
12-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Crunchy bark = hard to slice neatly flat slices.

and harder to eat. A few judges I have spoken to prefer the softer bark when tasting...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
also, experement with butcher paper instead of foil. try also putting a small rack in a foil pan, then whan it comes time to foil cover instead of wrapping.

I have been wanting to try putting it in a pan during the "foiling stage" but wasn't sure about adding a "foil liquid" to the pan. Would it even be a benefit to do so since it is suspended about it?

Thanks! Sal

Dcon
12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Hope to get a class in this Feb. Know Bull. I have only been competing a few years, maybe 3 or 4 a year had a few calls but stuck middle pack most of the time, but really love the people and the comps. But would love to do better. Thanks for you guys help!

Candy Sue
12-31-2013, 08:51 AM
I have been wanting to try putting it in a pan during the "foiling stage" but wasn't sure about adding a "foil liquid" to the pan. Would it even be a benefit to do so since it is suspended about it?

Thanks! Sal

Did that last comp, good results, 9th place call. My personal favorite judge said it should have been 1st! I'll do it again.

I'll not do butcher paper again, because you lose the juice!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Burnt ends need to be saucy to win.........

negative.

Pole D
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Did that last comp, good results, 9th place call. My personal favorite judge said it should have been 1st! I'll do it again.

I'll not do butcher paper again, because you lose the juice!

You can still put a pan under it to catch the juices.

Dcon
12-31-2013, 06:17 PM
What is the benefits of using butcher paper? Less steam?

Capn Kev
12-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Ran a hot and fast practice yesterday, ran it between 325-350 wraped ,at 165 Bark looked good, cooked untill thickest part of the flat probed tender, vented about 10-15 min then Put the point back on the cooker, wraped the flat in towel placed it in a dry cooler rested about a hour an half, flat sliced nicely and was happy with the tenderness, my problem is the bark had turned mushy ( tried not to put my rub on to thick ) should I try to wipe the mush off before slicing? Has anyone ever tried a chefs torch on the surface to harden up the bark before slicing?

I follow a very similar process (barring the torch :wink:), and don't have too many issues with scores. I never have a hard bark, but have a nice "flavor ring" on the outside. Only problem I've had is when/if I try to introduce too much juice in the foil when I wrap... it can make the "bark" flake off. So, I always am cognizant of that when wrapping. Also, are you wrapping fat side up or down? I always wrap fat down, to preserve the bark on the slices.

Hope that helps.

Kev

rookiedad
12-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks! Sal

we just seal the foil around the edges of the pan and use whatever drippings happened during the cook. later we will separate the fat and sometimes add the juice back into the meat if the flavor is right. also, if you are going to try this, get a metal pizza peel to move the pans around with as they need alot of bottom support.

Dcon
01-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Fat side down all the way threw the cook Capn Kev, maybe I'll try adding less liquid in my foil? The surface of the flat looked great just do not like the mushy bark

WineMaster
01-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Dcon, Do you use a water pan in your BYC

Scottie
01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Slices are a 1/4" thick. I think some folks over think what bark is about. K.I.S.S.

Dcon
01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
WineMaster have tried the pans but need to use large ones for a whole brisket and they tend to hurt the air flow of my cooker, on my BYC the box runs anywhere from 75-100 cooler then the tube side so I run my buts in the box and I am practicing running my brisket in the pipe at about 325/350. And yes I do run a water pan under the cooking grates close to the fire box.