View Full Version : Gaining Sponsorship for Competition BBQ Team

12-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Since I have some time over the holiday break, I am trying to develop our new sponsorship approach for 2014. We were able to gain several sponsors in our first full season, but we would like to step it up a notch this coming season. We have developed some ideas for this year, but as we approach the first of the year, I wanted to see if anyone on this forum would be willing to share any good ideas for gaining sponsors. Thank you!

Candy Sue
12-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Are you going to be able to retain your current sponsors?

What are you giving back to your sponsors? Do you make reports back to sponsors showing where you have benefitted their marketing efforts?

12-27-2013, 10:16 AM
We have not approached our sponsors from last year as of yet. We are waiting until after the new year. Last year was our first time doing this. That is one thing we are trying to improve on, what the sponsor gets back in return.

12-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Adding more without knowing where you stand in regards to this years is a flawed approach. First you find out how you did in their expectations, do they want to continue and then you have a platform or a model to sell, if there's enough ways to. Never assume or take anything for granted. Personal experience has taught us to never doubt where we stand with every partner, because we keep those avenues wide open. As Candy said do you know where and what with previous? Until then it's disrespectful to them to continue to search for their replacements or less time that can be spent on them. Not picking on you but trying to make a point of working what you have before losing them. There are some great tips in the archives on this topic. One has to make it worth a partner's time to help you. It's basically that simple. Steve.

12-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Gaining sponsors. Good question.

These are my opinions, so please take it with a grain of salt.

To get sponsors:

1) Offer them something in return. Cooked meat, promoting their products, catering a party etc.

2) Compete well with their products if it is BBQ related.

3) Be a stand up BBQ Comp team.

4) Say what you mean and mean what you say (cliché, but a solid quote).

To maintain sponsors:

1) Be cool, humble, respectful. Thank them at every opportunity and be sincere about it.

2) Be willing to promote every one of your sponsor's products. If it doesn't work for you/sponsor, the relationship should always end amicably.

3) Stay in touch via email, FB, phone...whatever (IMO, this one is crucial).

4) Never look a gift horse in the mouth. I know it's an old school-saying, but it is applicable here.

12-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the input. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in explaining our current situation. We are not trying to replace our sponsors from last year. We have not approached anybody yet. Like I said, waiting until after the new year. We are not trying to do more, we are just trying to improve our sponsorship program. We will approach our sponsors from last year first, that was the plan. But we would like to gain new sponsors in addition. We are very thankful for the businesses that helped us last year. We do almost everything Crash listed above, so that makes me feel good about what we are doing. My post was merely to gain some validation on what we are already doing as well as possibly gain some additional ideas. Thank you so much!

12-28-2013, 10:46 AM
If it were me, I'd have a very specific plan to present to potential sponsors detailing what you want from them, either in the way of dollar commitments, and/or product commitments. Specify what you can do for them in return, either in the way of marketing their product or business, or donating your cooking services for their business. If you haven't thought about either of these things in enough detail to be able to communicate them in writing, then you need to put more thought into what you want, and what you are willing to do in return. Your first shot with potential sponsors is your best shot. Make sure you are fully prepared before you meet with them.

Don't be afraid to ask for EVERYTHING you think you will need. It most likely will be a big number....to you. However, it probably won't be as big a number to the companies that you approach. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you get told "no". Be prepared for a lot of those. That's okay, it's not personal. If you can get some of what you ask for, then you know you didn't leave anything on the table. Maybe look for one sponsor for entry fees, one sponsor for meats, a sponsor for fuel, etc. depending on the responses you get. Another approach might be to find sponsors on a "per contest" basis, where they cover expenses for a particular contest and in return they get a Friday night feed for their employees or a client, or leftover contest meat, or the opportunity to hang out "behind the ropes" and see what goes on at a contest, etc.

Anyway, that's how I would start.

Good Luck!

12-30-2013, 09:31 PM
My sponsors accountant shakes her head at the amount of money spent to all the above plus cooking equipment and side trips while on the road. Then She just shrugs it off and says something to me like "Well, Its your BBQ Team and You own the company as well so I guess you can spend as much out of one pocket on the other pocket as you want".......

Did I mention I have a Great Sponsor who supports every Idea I have!:eusa_clap

12-31-2013, 01:34 AM
There are numerous, very detailed threads about sponsorships.

I suggest that you take a look at those (use the search function, use 'sponsor' as the term and choose 'advanced' and 'competition BBQ' in the appropriate fields).

Once you go through those, come back and ask some very specific questions. I'm sure that people will be happy to pipe up with replies.