PDA

View Full Version : Clarification needed please.

CharredApron
12-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Rule # 10) KCBS states "At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker." Does this only pertain to Pork? Otherwise how do you make burnt ends? I am assuming that this is true, but looking for clarification not looking for any dilly bars! :doh:

Thanks,

Jed

INmitch
12-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Yes. Just pork. Good luck across the pond.:thumb:

Candy Sue
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
That rule changes next week...

CharredApron
12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
That rule changes next week...
How so?

Branded BBQ
12-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm glad someone asked this....LOL... We're getting ready to start in competitions and I was wondering the exact same thing.

Ron_L
12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
How so?

Here is the 2013 rule...

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

I think this is the final wording for the 2014 rule...

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.

landarc
12-27-2013, 11:06 AM
You now cook the pork until the "cook" determines it is cooked, then you can part and return either portion or parts to the cooker. So, just like brisket now.

CharredApron
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
You now cook the pork until the "cook" determines it is cooked, then you can part and return either portion or parts to the cooker. So, just like brisket now.
Thank you Bob, I was wondering how they were currently dealing with the "Money Muscle" slice.

deguerre
12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
You should go MIM/MBN anyway. The French LOVE Memphis...

landarc
12-27-2013, 12:20 PM
This appears to be how 2014 will go. It may change, as there still appears to be a lot if folks who dislike it. As long as there's a rule, it doesn't matter what anyone in particular does, within the rules. In truth, much like burnt ends/brisket chunks, you don't need them to win. You need a great cook, is all.

Rich Parker
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
This appears to be how 2014 will go. It may change, as there still appears to be a lot if folks who dislike it. As long as there's a rule, it doesn't matter what anyone in particular does, within the rules. In truth, much like burnt ends/brisket chunks, you don't need them to win. You need a great cook, is all.

The rules for 2014 have been finalized so there's no going back now. Hopefully some clarifications will be posted about the new rule so the reps aren't bombarded with questions at every comp but it is what it is for 2014.

didisea
12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
I think the crux of the new rule is "once cooked." Is that cooked to a generally recognized temperature that one could safely consume it? Or, is it putting the whole butt on for 5 minutes, and then taking it out and cutting it into a much smaller piece?

The KCBS needs to put out a clear FAQ on what is allowed and not allowed before the first contests of the year. Otherwise the cook's meetings are going to drag on over this, and leave it open to the contests reps interpretation of the new rule.

landarc
12-27-2013, 03:05 PM
I agree Rich, the rule is clearly finished for 2014. I am sort of assuming there will be a need for a clarification on the "cooked" terminology. I think some folks find that to be vague.