PDA

View Full Version : Judges Bag

5string
12-23-2013, 06:35 AM
While preparing for the coming year of events I've been going through our judging bag. (old laptop bag) This was our (wife and I) first year judging. We were only able to get in to 3 events since our certification class last June. So far we have about 12 applications out for next year. I noticed some of the things that different judges keep in their "bag" for the judging table.
What are your essential "must haves" in your bag and what have I left out?

So far I have:

Our badges and membership cards.
Our books.
Face towels to be dampened with water to use instead of paper towels.
Zip-lock bags for the damp towels.
Water bottle cozies. (looking for those square ones)
Small tongs to use instead of the plastic fork.
Note pad and pen for the great info from other judges.
A supply of "business" cards I printed up with our contact info to exchange.
Breath mints.

bignburlyman
12-23-2013, 06:53 AM
My wife carries those plastic flossers to use to get the bits that get stuck in the teeth. One contest we were given a plastic toothpick dispenser that was kind of cool so we carry it in our bag. I don't carry it (but should), single use Shout wipes when I get sauce on my shirt. I see several judges that use bib aprons when judging, that might be something to carry.

I hope to get the rest of the contests I need this summer to get my Master CBJ, I think I have 22 so far.

QN
12-23-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't carry a bag or cooler or anything else.

ModelMaker
12-23-2013, 07:38 AM
While preparing for the coming year of events I've been going through our judging bag. (old laptop bag) This was our (wife and I) first year judging. We were only able to get in to 3 events since our certification class last June. So far we have about 12 applications out for next year. I noticed some of the things that different judges keep in their "bag" for the judging table.

So far I have:

Our badges.
Our books.
Breath mints.

No latex gloves or personal size anti-bacterial lotion?
Ed

loco_engr
12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
KCBS requires your membership card

5string
12-23-2013, 08:07 AM
KCBS requires your membership card

Yes, sorry, forgot to list that.

bbq.tom
12-23-2013, 09:25 AM
What has already been listed as well as:

Extra pens and pencils (and a pencil sharpener like we used to use in elementary school - I am an old geezer don't cha know from the days before they started using computers in elementary school!!!)

a small clipboard to put the scorecard on

my spreadsheet of contests confirmed, applied for, awaiting applications to be posted, etc.

tooth picks

SuperQue
12-23-2013, 09:44 AM
A nice dark Maduro

JD McGee
12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Tums? :twisted:

ITBFQ
12-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Wow, that is a lot to schlep around at a BBQ contest. I make sure my KCBS membership card is in my wallet and that's it. I like to hang around for the awards after I judge, and I wouldn't want the extra headache of carrying a bag.

Scottie
12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Ive only seen judges with coolers...

ModelMaker
12-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Ive only seen judges with coolers...

Dang Scottie, thought I would be the only smart ass on this thread....
Ed

Pole D
12-24-2013, 08:11 AM
What has already been listed as well as:

Extra pens and pencils (and a pencil sharpener like we used to use in elementary school - I am an old geezer don't cha know from the days before they started using computers in elementary school!!!)

Hey Tom - isn't that called a pocket knife? :razz:

ModelMaker
12-24-2013, 09:02 AM
After reading the thread over in Q-talk about mean spirited replies I feel my original response to the OP's question could well be considered "snarky". For those that have never met me I tend to have permanent tongue in cheek disease.
While I meant no harm or disrespect to Mr. 5 String my response had no meaningful information to share and I will in the future try to refrain from such behavior.

Now if we could just get Scottie in line, (crap there I go again)....
Merry Christmas all.
Ed

Scottie
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Of course I was only kidding.....

Pole D
12-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Not me! I pretty sure Tom is old enough to have used a pocket knife to sharpen his pencil in school. :-D

bbq.tom
12-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Not me! I pretty sure Tom is old enough to have used a pocket knife to sharpen his pencil in school. :-D

Thanks George! Of course, back then we wouldn't get kicked out and locked up for having a weapon of mass destruction for carrying a pocket knife to school!!!

peterz
12-27-2013, 08:39 AM
No cooler for me. Just my book to sign, badge, card. As soon as my book is signed I take it back to my car so I don't have to worry about it as Im walking around and stuff. Judged 9 comps my first year =)
Just my 2c.

Peter

mobow
12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
A cooler with some ice and some beverages for after judging. Keith

bbq.tom
12-27-2013, 05:10 PM
A cooler with some ice and some beverages for after judging. Keith

If course, but it stays in the car!!!

5string
12-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Thanks to all y'all for your input and attempts at humor.

thirdeye
12-31-2013, 06:47 PM

So far I have:

Our badges and membership cards.
Our books.
Breath mints.

I carry a backpack around to most day events, like work, fishing and also including BBQ comps. It has all the urban survival stuff like my cheater glasses, a flashlight, Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, Case Hobo, compass, CPR mask, camera, batteries, aspirin, etc. I don't take food-to-go, but a backpack is a good place to stuff the bag of freebies and the T-Shirt or apron the judges get. The face towels sound like a good idea, but I'm pretty good with wetting a little pile of Scott towels. Plus I have a couple of bandannas in there anyways, and I always take a bottle of water. I have a notebook, pens and pencils, and some biz cards. I also take along a couple of my BBQ tools as freebies. And I have packs of those nice bamboo toothpicks (10/pack) that I pass out.

The events I judge in the Rockies have started giving judges those little pouches on a lanyard. They have room for your membership card, your badge and a zipper pocket for other stuff. The lanyard is a wide one so pins can be attached to it.

drbbq
12-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Extra set of pink suspenders.

North Is Up
01-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I have a random number generator so I know how to score each entry without having to guess.:-D

Bunny
01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
I never would have thought about half of that stuff. Really? Judges take that much stuff to the comp? I thought the organizer provided plenty.:shock:

drbbq
01-02-2014, 10:29 PM
I've seen judges bring their own chair.

5string
01-03-2014, 09:45 AM

I had not thought of that but I'd need a bigger bag.

peterz
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM

Hmmm, and why not =) Some chairs are not the best for someone with a back problem.

Bigdog
01-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Dang Scottie, thought I would be the only smart ass on this thread....
Ed

Certainly not Ed, but you are definately one of the leaders. :razz:

But we love ya anyway. :thumb: