PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Contest Rep Bill Maes

Rookie'48
12-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I just heard that Bill Maes, a Contest Rep from the Denver area, has passed away. Bill did a lot for our sport in the short time that I knew him and he will be missed. R.I.P. Bill

Capn Kev
12-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Bill was a true "good guy" that did a lot for BBQ around here. More than that, he was a friend to many of us. Shocking and sad. We're gonna miss you Bill!

~Kev

Rookie'48
12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, Bill was always ready to jump in and lend a hand.

Candy Weaver asked me if I would run the Open Rules meeting at the Banquet in Nashville this coming January. I said yes and immediately called Bill to see if he would run around the meeting with the remote microphone so that the members could be heard. Naturally Bill said yes. That's just the kind of guy he was.

arrowhead
12-18-2013, 08:48 PM
very sad news. i'll miss bill.

Alexa RnQ
12-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh, Bill. You'll be sadly missed.

Bill was responsible for the 180 dessert I had at the Jack in '09. He was so adamant that the dessert I'd made previous night's potluck would be a winner that I ditched my plans and the stuff I'd brought, and ran out to the market to make that damn potluck dessert again to turn in. He was right, it went all the way.

I'll remember him just the way I always saw him, with that big smile.

ckelly
12-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Very sad news indeed. I had the pleasure of being at an event which Bill was a rep for.

Judged the first year, cooked the 2nd year.
It was the event that he finally gave me the elusive pork award (not that I had competed much, it was my 4th event ever!)

I'll hold onto that memory forever.

Does anybody have info on where to send flowers/cards/donations/etc. ?

Capn Kev
12-20-2013, 10:52 AM
This is all the information I have right now...

Services will be held on 12/28 at 2pm followed by a gathering meal.
Calvary Baptist Church
4881 S. Acoma St.
Englewood, CO 80110

Warpig BBQ
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I am Sadden to hear this news, and will keep his friends and family in my thoughts and prayers.

I met Bill last March at the Samís Club regional in Renton. I immediately realized what a great person Bill was. He was my KCBS rep for my event last July, and we shared a few meals and stories and in the short time I knew him I felt as if Iíd had known him for years. Rest easy Bill.

TalonBrew
12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
A very nice man with a generous spirit.

Godspeed.