PDA

View Full Version : my first comp

SkinEz
12-17-2013, 08:14 PM
here are some pics from my first competition. It was back in September, but just now getting around to posting. 12th out of 83 in pork was my best placing. Enough to make me think I can do way better lol...

didisea
12-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Need some bark and a little sauce in the pulled pork. Try to cook the ribs flat and not in a rib rack. Trim the ribs uniform so that each rack is the same width.

okiej
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
A lot of people include some sliced pork in the box also.

SkinEz
12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
It was definitely a learning experience. Being my first competition and all. One thing I realized is I really needed at least one more person. I was supposed to have help, but at the last minute my help couldn't make it. I was not happy with my chicken or brisket at all. Notice no pron of either, but I really learned quite a bit.

BKBBQ
12-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Good job...i remember taking that much stuff to comps...i was wore out by the time i unloaded the truck....keep it up....hope to hear your name called soon.

SkinEz
12-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Good job...i remember taking that much stuff to comps...i was wore out by the time i unloaded the truck....keep it up....hope to hear your name called soon.

I definitely think I overpacked, but what suggestions do you have to lighten the load. I am looking into getting a pull behind smoker, or an enclosed (tricked out) trailer and still utilize my UDS (and other cookers). Wish I could do both, but its one or the other.

Offthehook
12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Your set up does look awesome, the way I dont over pack is I drive a car, that way if it doesnt fit oh well!

rtboswell
12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
I think your setup looks great and better than our first time out.

You will figure out what you need at a comp the more you compete. Someone gave me a great rule of thumb: anything not used for at least two comps is left at home the next time out. I've only done five comps and every time I take less and less with me and it gets better and better organized.

When are you competing again?

SkinEz
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
I think your setup looks great and better than our first time out.

You will figure out what you need at a comp the more you compete. Someone gave me a great rule of thumb: anything not used for at least two comps is left at home the next time out. I've only done five comps and every time I take less and less with me and it gets better and better organized.

When are you competing again?

Not sure. Looking over the 2014 schedule, and several competitions peak my interest. I did Tilleys HD in NC last year, and want to do it again. Really enjoyed that competition. Not to mention everyone was very nice around me. Im from WV, and there arent many competitions locally. Unfortunately, that means I have to travel a bit. N.C. is good because my sister lives in Charlotte. So I have been looking at a lot of competitions in N.C

BBQ_MAFIA
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Make sure you have a check list.
It will eliminated the chance of forgetting something.
When the contest is over you can review the list and take off things
that were not needed. It took us a few contests but we have it down
to a science now. You can do a search here on the forum or a
general google search and see examples of what others are using.

I would advise against a stick burner at comps if you like to sleep. We cook
on a Lang 84 at contest and can tell you that feeding the beast every 30 to 40
minutes can get old quick. We now have a charcoal box which allows us to get
a little rest. If you are looking to get away from your UDS I would go with a cabinet
unit like a Spicewine, Humphry's, Backwoods, or Stumps to name a few. These
will allow you to get a good nights sleep and be fresh for turn in time.
Good luck in your decisions.

I definitely think I overpacked, but what suggestions do you have to lighten the load. I am looking into getting a pull behind smoker, or an enclosed (tricked out) trailer and still utilize my UDS (and other cookers). Wish I could do both, but its one or the other.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Work out a flow to your setup. Looks like you had to move around a lot (cooker, to table, to wash station, back to cooker, etc. Try and get the important stuff near/around one canopy and use the 2nd as a social area. You'll save a lot of ebnergy that way.

I'd also ditch the brinkmans and go with WSM or drums. That would help out a ton.

Did you pre-mix all your sauces and rubs? If not, do it. It will save you more time. Do everything you can BEFORE you get there.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-18-2013, 01:54 PM
And you need PVC leg extensions. Bet your back hated you :)

bruno994
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
My first thought was "Wow, he brought a lot of stuff!" I have done 13 comps over the past 2 years and I have leaned up my packing list a bit, but I still bring anything and everything I could possibly need, even a few backups just in case something critical breaks or stops working while at a comp. To keep down on my clutter, I use a 3 drawer plastic box from Wally World to keep all my utensils, strainers, measuring cups, cleaning supplies, gloves and such in. I also bring one large tote with lights, paper towels, pots and pans among other assorted items. I have 2 smaller totes, 1 for all my rubs and spices and the other for other essentials (sauces, brown sugar, broth, etc.). These help keep me organized and reduce my clutter, not to mention keep everything weatherproof for when one of those sudden t-storms come through..

SkinEz
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Make sure you have a check list.
It will eliminated the chance of forgetting something.
When the contest is over you can review the list and take off things
that were not needed. It took us a few contests but we have it down
to a science now. You can do a search here on the forum or a
general google search and see examples of what others are using.

I would advise against a stick burner at comps if you like to sleep. We cook
on a Lang 84 at contest and can tell you that feeding the beast every 30 to 40
minutes can get old quick. We now have a charcoal box which allows us to get
a little rest. If you are looking to get away from your UDS I would go with a cabinet
unit like a Spicewine, Humphry's, Backwoods, or Stumps to name a few. These
will allow you to get a good nights sleep and be fresh for turn in time.
Good luck in your decisions.

Thanks very helpful indeed. However, you may have complicated my decision making process. In a good way...

Untraceable
12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
If you didnt forget something, you packed too much. lol.

I was looking at the King of the Smoker thread the other week and when I saw this, I said to myself "now these guys are pros!"

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/King-of-the-Smoker-2013/i-2DK9DZv/0/X3/King%20of%20the%20Smoker12-2013-1443-X3.jpg

Diesel Dave
12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
And they use Simply Marvelous rubs and Big Poppa Smokers too.
The one guy has the west coast offense shirt on :laugh:

sushi_tampa
12-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Very cool pics thanks for sharing! I just did my first comp back in November and learned a lot from the packing/unpacking. I also have a tundra packed that thing full. Brought 2 18.5 WSMs bungeed in the truck bed and an 18.5 OTS in the back seat LOL. Looking forward to pics/stories of your next comp!

EverettBBQ
12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I have a team of 7 guys.
You are a stud for doing it with 1 guy.
Get some help and you will have a better time!

SkinEz
12-26-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a team of 7 guys.
You are a stud for doing it with 1 guy.
Get some help and you will have a better time!

No doubt. Plans were for the wife, and my brother at a minimum to go with me. However, life happened and I had to go solo. Great learning experience though.

SkinEz
12-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Need some bark and a little sauce in the pulled pork. Try to cook the ribs flat and not in a rib rack. Trim the ribs uniform so that each rack is the same width.

First thing I told myself is the rack is gone. One of the things I had to do, running solo and all, was to take a few shortcuts. i.e. no pork slices.

SkinEz
12-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Very cool pics thanks for sharing! I just did my first comp back in November and learned a lot from the packing/unpacking. I also have a tundra packed that thing full. Brought 2 18.5 WSMs bungeed in the truck bed and an 18.5 OTS in the back seat LOL. Looking forward to pics/stories of your next comp!

I dont think i could have fit anything else in my tundra. Certainly packed tight.