PDA

View Full Version : New-format comment card this past weekend

Alexa RnQ
12-16-2013, 06:39 PM
This past weekend was the first time we'd received one of the new-format comment cards. Here's a blank so those of you that haven't yet received one can see what's on them.

[image slightly larger than actual]

http://www.divaherself.com/newcommentcard.jpg

I have to say, I am mostly very pleased with these! The only thing that jumped out at me first was the "overcooked/undercooked" boxes -- with the exception of meat still being bloody (in which case you KNOW it's undercooked), I think it's more relevant for the judge to stick to the particulars of what was presented to them, dry/tough/chewy/whatever, rather than try to speculate on how it got that way.

The judge had time to put one or more checkboxes in each section, AND write several lines of very on-point commentary. And from discussion with some judges after the event, the new cards were received very favorably on their side of the table too.

I think these will be helpful for judges to clarify what they're trying to convey about the meat sample, while still streamlining the process.

cpw
12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
They're still voluntary, right? How many of these did you receive? I hope that I get to see a lot of these in the future, I can see them being very useful.

Big Poppa
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
THey broke them out for King of the SMoker neat cards.

landarc
12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
That looks pretty good

Alexa RnQ
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
They're still voluntary, right? How many of these did you receive? I hope that I get to see a lot of these in the future, I can see them being very useful.
Still voluntary, we got just the one -- but I'll take as many of those as I can get!

thirdeye
12-16-2013, 08:50 PM
What is an example of "ragged out" under APPEARANCE?

Pole D
12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
What is an example of "ragged out" under APPEARANCE?

I think that's "ragged cut"

goodsmokebbq
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Wheres the "Tastes Like Lighter Fluid" check box?

thirdeye
12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I think that's "ragged cut"

Okay, that makes much more sense.....

Alexa RnQ
12-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Wheres the "Tastes Like Lighter Fluid" check box?

I know that's a perennial favorite, but I think that would be covered by "Dislike unknown flavor".

Cast Iron Chef
12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Didn't get any this weekend so at least they didn't taste the lighter fluid I didn't use. :-D

Podge
12-17-2013, 12:14 PM
THey broke them out for King of the SMoker neat cards.

Do you know of any team at King of the Smoker who got cards? I would think not in that group.

sweetracks
12-17-2013, 12:29 PM
I really hope to see these used regularly by the judges. It doesn't seem like it would take all that much time to fill out and it would be hugely beneficial to the cooks.

Hot Sauce Hoss
12-17-2013, 12:54 PM
I like the idea of these cards a lot. And I wish they were mandatory. Nothing like wondering why you hit and then don't hit week in and week out. just my .02 worth.

Kit R
12-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Got one last month at Smokin' on the Harbor (Charleston SC) for pork. 8 7 8 with a check by "Too salty". No additional comments, but none really necessary.

DanaK6JQ
12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
First time I looked at it, I thought "where's 'dislike salad' ? :-) Looks pretty good really.

bbq.tom
12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Didn't get any this weekend so at least they didn't taste the lighter fluid I didn't use. :-D

You DON'T have to use lighter fluid to have your meat have a "tastes like lighter fluid" flavor. The flavor being described by that term is typically a chemical/metallic flavor that CAN be achieved by smoke that is too thick (NOT thin blue smoke ideal for cooking), especially through the use of "green" fruit woods.

As a judge I've tasted a few entries with that "lighter fluid" taste, which I'm sure was not from cooks using lighter fluid.

carlyle
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Glad to see this card. It looks good, looks easy and quick to use.

Time will tell if cooks get better and more useable constructive comments from this.

Seems like a step in the right direction - and a bunch of good steps from having no comment cards at all. Seems like a good compliment to new Score system.

bbq.tom
12-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Glad to see this card. It looks good, looks easy and quick to use.

Time will tell if cooks get better and more useable constructive comments from this.

Seems like a step in the right direction - and a bunch of good steps from having no comment cards at all. Seems like a good compliment to new Score system.

Now if only the judges would use them!
I was able to use these new cards in Cumming, GA in November, but I was the only judge at my table who used one (for each category I might add). Can provide positive as well as negative comments.

Rookie'48
12-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Although a lot of thought went into these new cards by the CBJ Committee there's always going to be something that could be improved on. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions that you have (either as a cook or a judge) to make these better are appreciated by the Board of Directors of the KCBS.

Untraceable
12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd like to see the overcooked/undercooked removed. I think the tenderness score should cover that

CivilWarBBQ
12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I got one of these for an 8 6 6 score.

Checked boxes for taste were "bland/no flavor" and "greasy".
Checked for tenderness was "rubbery".

To be honest my pork was way off that day due to a charcoal problem. I probably would have scored it 9 7 6. I didn't get the "greasy" comment, but then there is no checkbox for "fatty" and my money muscle was not fully rendered. So all in all I would say the cards are useful, but I hope judges don't stop making their own comments in favor of the checkboxes. I think it is more useful when a CBJ gives me their thoughts in their own words, but a checkbox comment is better than none at all.

Q-Dat
12-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I like it. It may nees slight tweaking but I like it.

I say make checking the boxes mandatory and additional comments optional.