PDA

View Full Version : Comp cooking on a Lang 36 deluxe? Doable?

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi my names josh, this is my first post other than my intro so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm picking up my new Lang 36 deluxe this Friday and was approached with the idea of doing a couple comps next year. I've never considered it due to the fact that I never thought the Lang would never have the capacity to do all 4 KCBS categories at once? Am I wrong? Can it be done? I was thinking butts, brisket and ribs on the Lang and maybe chicken on my Weber kettle? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josh!

DawgPhan
12-16-2013, 11:24 AM
you can do all the meats on there. Timing and planning.

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Anybody care to elaborate on the planning/timing needed to accomplish this?

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 01:51 PM
I was also wondering if I could get by with only cooking 1 butt and 1 brisket in a comp? I know most teams I've seen cook at least 2 of each but I don't have near enough room for 2 butts and 2 brisket. Can I get by with 1 butt, 1 brisket, 2 racks of ribs and say 12 chicken thighs?

Diesel Dave
12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
You can do whatever you feel like. Most do more than one just to cover the possibility of one not being that good. Not necessarily the cook, but the cut. We've all picked up less than awesome cuts before. You'll have more to choose from the more you have.
As to your first question, you have a deluxe, so you have a warming cabinet. Learn how to hold your food and possibly, finish it in there. It'll hold temp for you and add smoke if needed. You'll have to practice a lot but I'm sure you'll get it.

INmitch
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
It could be done. Get your timing down so your butt n brisky are off (wrapped in a cooler or cambro) when it's time for ribs to go on. You can do your ck on a kettle but you could fit them in probably. I only cook 8 thighs at comps. Ya only need 6.:thumb:

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 02:23 PM
You can do whatever you feel like. Most do more than one just to cover the possibility of one not being that good. Not necessarily the cook, but the cut. We've all picked up less than awesome cuts before. You'll have more to choose from the more you have.
As to your first question, you have a deluxe, so you have a warming cabinet. Learn how to hold your food and possibly, finish it in there. It'll hold temp for you and add smoke if needed. You'll have to practice a lot but I'm sure you'll get it.

So I could finish my butt and brisket in the warmer and allow myself enough time to cook my ribs/chicken? That makes a lot of sense. I should have enough room to have a butt, briskey and a couple racks all in the cooking chamber at the same time. ChickIn is my only problem area since I like to cook it a little hotter to crisp up the skin...maybe I will save the chicken for the kettle. I will certainly be making a couple practice rounds and try to getting all my times down. Thanks for the help!

Diesel Dave
12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Learn your temp zones on the Lang.
Closer to the fire box you'll be hotter for sure. Chicken on the right and kick up the airflow. The Lang will get as hot as you want it.

Good luck it's gonna take some trying but I know it can be done.

Mitch gave you some great input as well, he knows what he's doin no doubt there

fnbish
12-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes you could, but man you would really need to have the timing down. Butts/Brisket off early to leave room for the ribs/chicken. If I was only cooking on a Lang 36 I would also be checking CL for a cheap 18 or 22 WSM :becky:.

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes you could, but man you would really need to have the timing down. Butts/Brisket off early to leave room for the ribs/chicken. If I was only cooking on a Lang 36 I would also be checking CL for a cheap 18 or 22 WSM :becky:.

Ha. I'm always looking my friend!

hogzillas
12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm looking to be in the same boat but may upsize to a 48 but I'm of the same mind of doing less meats. My only other thoughts in that matter are that if something goes wrong you don't have much extra meats to work w/ so you've got to get the best you can find from the start (when you buy it) As others have said timing in key w/ butts/briskets on early eve so they're off early enough for ribs/chicken so you need to have a Cambro or good cooler to hold them for a long time. I would seriously consider something like a 18 or 22 WSM as a backup for chicken or ribs if you do stick w/ a 36. At least w/ a 48 you'd have some extra room to play w/ should butt/brisket run late.

tlcartman
12-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Learn your temp zones on the Lang.
Closer to the fire box you'll be hotter for sure. Chicken on the right and kick up the airflow. The Lang will get as hot as you want it.

Good luck it's gonna take some trying but I know it can be done.

Mitch gave you some great input as well, he knows what he's doin no doubt there

remember the lang's are reverse flow smokers. check your temps. the fire box end may be the cooler end depending on air flow.

Diesel Dave
12-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Umm yeah I cook on mine regularly. At least on the 60Deluxe that's the hotter end

columbia1
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
If Harry Soo can do all four meats on a 18" WSM, you should have no problems, just get your big meats done and in the warming box before you start your small meats.

tlcartman
12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Umm yeah I cook on mine regularly. At least on the 60Deluxe that's the hotter end

i wasnt trying to say you were wrong. just trying to let him know to check his cooker to be sure.

the key is you use yours regularly, and he is just getting his. i am sure you can set your your airflow blindfolded in the dark. i am sure once he gets his and gets used to it. he will be able to do the same thing. when we cook on the 84 there is less than 10 degrees difference between the two ends.

i apologize for coming off wrong

Diesel Dave
12-16-2013, 04:38 PM
No problem I guess I was pointing out how you can raise the temp on that end if needed

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I do have some experience on a lang 48 mobile. Using the 48 ultimately helped persuade me to pick up the 36. So I have a pretty good handle on what it takes to cook on a stick burner. I think the 36 is capable of comp cooking it's just gonna take a little more attention to detail to get it done successfully. I plan on doing a couple trial runs with all 4 categories to see how/if it can be done. I do have a few other cookers/grills I can use if I need to. Once again, thanks for all the insight!

SITM BBQ
12-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Good luck with it. I think you have the right mindset.

Waterboy12
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks SITM. My fiancé's grandparents live in fairview. I'm just up the road in Unionville. Small world.

FatCoyote
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Just to pile on - you sure can. There should be plenty of room and keep a cooler nearby if you need to keep things warm and run out of space.

ShencoSmoke
12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Not only can it be done, there is something to be said about the simplicity. Less wood, less cleaning, etc. I cook all 4 on a 48" stickburner. 2 butts, 1 brisky, 4 racks o ribs, 12 chicken

bbq.tom
12-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I've got plenty of room on my LANG 36 to cook two butts AND two briskets at the same time. Cook then first, Cambro them while you cook the ribs.

BKBBQ
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Make sure you get the slide out shelf....two butts and a brisket on the bottom...start your ribs on the slide out...pull brisky and butts when its chicken time.

Waterboy12
12-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Make sure you get the slide out shelf....two butts and a brisket on the bottom...start your ribs on the slide out...pull brisky and butts when its chicken time.

Sounds like a plan! And yes it does have the sliding racks. Thanks BK!

BKBBQ
12-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Ive done it a time or two...hot and fast.

Waterboy12
12-18-2013, 06:40 AM
It's good to know it has been done before!

Florida Farmer
12-18-2013, 10:30 AM
It's been done many times with good success.

BBQ_MAFIA
12-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm sure it can be done without a problem.
In saying that, all you need to do is give it a few dry runs at home
before entering a comp. I suggest you set up just like you plan to
at a comp and cook to the turn in times. When all the boxes are completed,
list out what worked and what didn't. This will give you the exact into you
want to know. Good Luck.