PDA

View Full Version : Total # of teams in KCBS TOY

Nesbitreb
12-15-2013, 01:58 PM
In 2012 there were over 6,000 teams in the TOY race, this year there are less than 3,000. Why is that?

My guess is KCBScore and how they ask for your KCBS # when checking you in.

SITM BBQ
12-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I would agree. And not all teams cooking kcbs are members and therefor are not in the TOY race. I think a lot of the new teams cooking one contest do not join kcbs.

SOB
12-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Yes for them to track your points you have to be a member now.

Fat Freddy
12-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I have done contests in the past and this past year where the app does not ask for my KCBS#. At one of the contests I did this year I had a cook from a fellow team at my site when reps came passing out boxes. When they were giving the other guy his boxes they asked him to verify his KCBS#, but then they gave me mine and did not ask me my number so I asked why they asked him and not me and was told that it was for TOY. So I asked why mine cant count for TOY and was told that my number is not a team number but a judge number. Kinda confused I asked again why my number doesnt work for when I compete. So the two reps that were kinda puzzled themselves asked the other rep(there were 3 reps) and he said yes my number counts I was just a judge first. There was another team competing at this event that normally are reps and they were even asked if they had run into this.

The day after the contest, my best scoring contest yet, I called KCBS and was told by the lady I had talked to that the declaring of KCBS# was such a new thing at that point(end of July) that some of the reps were still learning.

So I think some of the issue might be teams not knowing they need to give their number, reps still learning in terms of the declaring the numbers and some contest apps not requiring numbers, which in turn caused the two other issues I mentioned. And then finally as stated above KCBS not keeping track of all teams just KCBS teams.

Big Poppa
12-15-2013, 09:54 PM
There were slightly more teams this year...but a real dip at 500-800 points over 700 though total

DawgPhan
12-16-2013, 07:16 AM
I really doubt that the being a KCBS member changed the TOY numbers that much from last year to this year. Still wish that they would just do a team number though.