PDA

View Full Version : SLBS Freeze-Que

MaximumJEFF
12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Are any of you cooking at the St. Louis BBQ Society Freeze-Que in January? I've never cooked one of their events. Just curious how similar it is to KCBS comps.

Thank you in advance

Rub'n Wood BBQ
12-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I have cooked a couple and SLBS runs similar to KCBS in regards to turn ins and garnish. The biggest difference is the STL Health department and the temp permits and inspections. Kind of a pain. Freeze Q is a one day deal and the turn ins are at different times then KCBS, and only two KCBS meats are being cooked - although they mention it could potentially be a royal qualifier so my guess is the mystery category will be something beef.

MaximumJEFF
12-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Thank you. I think we're gonna give it a try. The entry fee is pretty cheap and it is certainly close for us. Plus the Polar Bear BBQ Challenge isn't being held in February. Gotta get our fix

jrbBBQ
12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I'll never cook another SLBS event. I cooked the wildwood bash last year and had a horrible experience with the way it was ran. The organizer seemed to be more concerned about making money than running a contest. At the awards they went on like everything was normal, but didn't hand out any score sheets and said the results would be posted in three days, which didn't set well with me because I had spent several hundred dollars I the contest aspect of it (there were 8 categories) and wanted to see how I had done right there. When the results were finally posted the next week I noticed several people had received zeros in a few categories and I thought maybe it was because the didn't cook it. I then found the team name I was competing under that weekend and noticed I had recieved a zero, I made a couple phone calls to see what was up and found out they had lost scores from Saturday evening and went on with awards like nothing had happened and by ttime no one could do anything about it. There was a trip to the world food championship and the American Royal involved. I wouldn't have GC'd with my missing score, but it would have placed me in the top 10 out of over 100 teams. It says a lot about a sanctioning body that would let a poorly ran contest carry on like this. Another side note(not about SLBS) I left the contest to go to a grocery store and pick up a few items, came back and they were charging $40 bucks to park. I tried to explain I was cooking in the contest, they said it didn't matter, that was another wonderful surprise that was never mentioned in any cooks meeting! All in all, my experience with a SLBS event was horrible. I've cooked KCBS and MBN events and may not be completely happy with the way some are ran, but at least they were professional about it.

MaximumJEFF
12-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow. Thanks is for the heads up. That sounds ridiculous. Was that recent? Hopefully the current board of directors has made improvents.

jrbBBQ
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
It was this September.

Lion Bout The Q
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank you. I think we're gonna give it a try. The entry fee is pretty cheap and it is certainly close for us. Plus the Polar Bear BBQ Challenge isn't being held in February. Gotta get our fix

You heard officially that the Polar bear is not happening?

MaximumJEFF
12-12-2013, 03:10 PM
You heard officially that the Polar bear is not happening?

Yessir. I emailed Jamey the other day. He said he wasn't involved with it anymore and that Aimee wasn't planning on doing it

MaximumJEFF
01-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Well we decided to go ahead and give it a shot. If nothing else it will be a good practice run. I'm gonna try to get the team down to OK in March.

Gonna do the same chicken that got us 10th at the Polar Bear last year. Our Ribs are pretty good. May be a bit too spicy. I'll try to tone that down a bit.

I'll pick up some beef ribs, tri-tip and turkey breasts as well. Obviously don't know what the mystery meat will be. But, I'm thinking Rub'n Wood is probably right.

Thanks for all your help. We'll try to do the Brethren proud

Rub'n Wood BBQ
01-03-2014, 03:38 PM
I am cooking it with family and have been assigned the Mystery meat. Should be easy to practice for :doh: Hope the weather changes by then...

MaximumJEFF
01-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Oh cool beans. And, you never know. It was 70 two weeks ago

sweetheatbbq
01-05-2014, 10:43 AM
In regards to the SLBS comps I have only had issues at one comp in particular and that was the one discussed. For the most part the SLBS comps are great and are very similiar to KCBS. The health board is only an issue in the county and all the teams there help each other out with it since everyone knows that it is not done at all the comps we compete at. The freeze que in particular was fantastic last year and everything ran very smoothly. This comp is for charity and not to make a profit. The biggest difference with slbs and kcbs is the scoring on taste and tenderness weights. Some may say that is not a big deal but just so you know taste trumps all. Taste is weighted much higher in SLBS. In regards to the board members they have been on top of things. I plan on cooking many SLBS contest this year but I will be avoiding the competition jrbBBQ and I had issues at. If you end up doing the comp, look for the brethren banner and say HI.

MaximumJEFF
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
We'll be there. I sent in the app and payment Friday

Two Butts and a Ham
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Two Butts and a Ham will be there. We competed last year as Wiindswept BBQ and lucked into some pretty good weather. With any luck this snow and cold will go away in time for the event. Had a good time and it is for a good cause.

MaximumJEFF
01-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Our results in the St. Louis BBQ Society Freeze Que:
21st in Chicken
12th in Ribs
25th in Beef
18th overall out of 41 teams

Two Butts and a Ham
01-26-2014, 10:18 AM
are the full results posted anywhere

MaximumJEFF
01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't know. I grabbed a score sheet after the awards. I can PM or post your scores if you like?

Two Butts and a Ham
01-26-2014, 12:39 PM
We had to leave before the sheets came out so if you could post our results we would really appreciate it.

Two Butts and a Ham

MaximumJEFF
01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Two Butts and a Ham
Chicken - 34th
Ribs - 16th
Beef - 1st!
Overall - 11th

Great job!

sweetheatbbq
01-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Had a blast cooking next to you guys! Great Job

Rub'n Wood BBQ
01-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Wish I could take more credit for Sweet Heat's cook, but had a great time helping them out with the peoples choice. Great job Sweet Heat BBQ!