PDA

View Full Version : My King of the Smoker Tables

big brother smoke
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Last night, I went over my score sheet with a fine tooth comb and payed attention to who was actually at my tables. I faced the toughest tables of my comp career. Here are how my tables were seated so folks can see how tough this comp is to get a call.

Chicken: Moonswiners, Gilly's, SOW, Pig Skin, Quau

Ribs: Tippy, Pigskin, Rod Gray, Gilly's, SOW

Pork: Blazin BBQ, Pigskin, Gilly's, Iowa Smokey D's, Quau,

Brisket: Iowa Smokey D's, Pigskin, Gilly's, Blazen BBQ, Hog Tide BBQ

By the way, these superstars of BBQ are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. And, it is true, Chris Lilly is the smoothest man in BBQ :thumb:

cpw
12-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I think you just proved that you are also a BBQ superstar.

Smitty250
12-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Great Job Steph! See you this weekend in Vegas!

Scottie
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
How can you end up at the same table with teams 3 and 4 times? They don't sort the tables at KOS?

Candy Sue
12-09-2013, 11:06 AM
How can you end up at the same table with teams 3 and 4 times? They don't sort the tables at KOS?

Each team went to a different table for every category. 4 tables of 6 judges for 24 teams. I've been racking my brain for a method to keep teams from "bunching" on the same tray (to different table). I think that cooks may have some control over this by turning in entries with different teams or varying the time of turn-in (within the window of course). Conceptually that would work with larger contests, but it puts pressure on the box runner though. After chicken, every category is thoroughly mixed behind the scenes.

Remember, KCBS does not compare entries. What does it matter if you're with the same bunch of teams on a tray? The judges do not compare.

landarc
12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
It is a pretty small comp, it seems odd that so many ended up on the same table across each category, but, the odds are pretty high for that, with 4 tables.

landarc
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Steph, you earned your way in, no matter what, a great honor.

And I don't want to know about you and Chris Lilly

DUBBAGA
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Based on the caliber of competition, I doubt there was an easy table to be found for any of the entries

71-South
12-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Pffft. I could have easily gotten top 6 at every one of those tables.

Podge
12-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I was on tables, 1, 2, 3, and 4, in that order.

Scottie
12-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Remember, KCBS does not compare entries. What does it matter if you're with the same bunch of teams on a tray? The judges do not compare.

Uh huh. And cooks weren't allowed to put meat back on the smoker either. And I understand about different tables. But to be on the same 4 tables just doesn't seem right. And for the record I could care less who I go up against. At that point, it is me vs. the judges.

Slamdunkpro
12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Uh huh. And cooks weren't allowed to put meat back on the smoker either. And I understand about different tables. But to be on the same 4 tables just doesn't seem right. And for the record I could care less who I go up against. At that point, it is me vs. the judges.
There's no method in place for tracking whether multiple teams hit the same table (team#1 & team#2 hit table 1 for Chicken and table 3 for pork), turn in's only look to avoid having the same team hit the same table. (team# 1 goes to table 1 for chicken and table 1 for pork). I'm not even sure it's numerically possible to avoid it with 4 tables.

Scottie
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I think the thing that I was focusing on was he was on the same table for all four mests with a couple of teams.

This also another reason why I love to turn in late, especially for brisket. If they are waiting for my box because I haven't been on that table. Guess what. Everyone else's brisket is getting cold waiting for me..

Big Poppa
12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Scottie hijacking again.... The c onscience of the bbq internet. The most important thing is to make sure that no competitors hit the same judges twice.

Now that you have made this about your math....show us how to do it....not possible.

But back to Steph...Wonderful cook and those are very good tables you hit and whatever that broken down old man in chicago says.... for you to do well at that contest is a fine deal....

Steph was 5th over all with two strong calls....Chicken and Ribs....

Chicken was not thighs....They were given 2 whole chickens....put a box together.

Also Scottie I provided easy ups with no sides and a little mini tornado hit right during rib boxing and the temp dropped about 20 degrees....so much so that Clone was wearing long pants....

Well done.

Scottie
12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Not hijacking at all. Guess I can't comment either?

Good job Steph.

MilitantSquatter
12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Mod Note : Haven't seen any hijacks.. just on topic discusson so far.... hopefully it stays that way...:wink:

Big Poppa
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
NO scottie you cant talk...thats the problem only steph and i....hahahaha Actually Scottie you knkow Im just kidding you but

I actually want you to give us how to do it.....24 teams four meats four tables want everybody on a separate table....

musicmanryann
12-10-2013, 08:20 AM
So happy to get to see you again, Steph and for all your success. I learned what a great cook you were first-hand when we were neighbors at Vista a year ago and you showed me how a good ol' fashioned a$$-waxing is done Cali style. ;-) I had little doubt you would hold your own this weekend.

So true about Chris being the smoothest man in BBQ, lol. That guy can work a room! Haha!

Meat Man
12-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Great job Steph, I can only imagine what a great experience it must have been, not only for you, but everyone competiting as well. The KOS is truely a one of a kind event. I love seeing the photos of La Quinta, especially when we're in single digit temps here at home. What a great setting.

musicmanryann
12-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Each team went to a different table for every category. 4 tables of 6 judges for 24 teams. I've been racking my brain for a method to keep teams from "bunching" on the same tray (to different table). I think that cooks may have some control over this by turning in entries with different teams or varying the time of turn-in (within the window of course). Conceptually that would work with larger contests, but it puts pressure on the box runner though. After chicken, every category is thoroughly mixed behind the scenes.

The only way I can think would be to predestine the tables ahead of time and wait for the trays to fill up over 10 minutes. I think I heard that KCBS has told reps they cannot do this, however. (?)

KCBS instructs judges not to compare entries. What happens in reality, even with hand-picked experienced judges, whether they are aware of it or not, may be different. There really isn't a way to know for sure.

Ford
12-10-2013, 08:42 AM
The only way I can think would be to predestine the tables ahead of time and wait for the trays to fill up over 10 minutes. I think I heard that KCBS has told reps they cannot do
FBA does it that way. All boxes go in at the same time. A lot of teams push the turnin time to have a hotter product.

big brother smoke
12-10-2013, 09:07 AM
So happy to get to see you again, Steph and for all your success. I learned what a great cook you were first-hand when we were neighbors at Vista a year ago and you showed me how a good ol' fashioned a$$-waxing is done Cali style. ;-) I had little doubt you would hold your own this weekend.

So true about Chris being the smoothest man in BBQ, lol. That guy can work a room! Haha!

Thanks for the kind words, brother. And you can sing your ass off! :cool:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/bigbrothersmoke/2013-12-05194923_zps3a592d70.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/bigbrothersmoke/media/2013-12-05194923_zps3a592d70.jpg.html)

Big Poppa
12-10-2013, 09:10 AM
nice ford....

THis works fine when the weather is good...believe it or not it got very cold right at turnin times with cold wind....many judges asked me why the pork was cold...they were in a adobe cabin with a fireplace!

Big Poppa
12-10-2013, 09:11 AM
There is a first me reading a chart....pretending to be a musician!

landarc
12-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Two whole chickens is intriguing, I would like to see how those boxes were structured. That would sure change how most KCBS boxes look.

Nice twist Sterling

big matt
12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words, brother. And you can sing your ass off! :cool:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/bigbrothersmoke/2013-12-05194923_zps3a592d70.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/bigbrothersmoke/media/2013-12-05194923_zps3a592d70.jpg.html)

Yes he can!..you and Scot Key did an awesome job and it was a surprise for sure..great job

big matt
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Two whole chickens is intriguing, I would like to see how those boxes were structured. That would sure change how most KCBS boxes look.

Nice twist Sterling

I can tell you this..as Darren was giving his demo Jamie Geer was standing right next to me when Darren explained he made use of all parts Jamie says.."next question can we see the box?"..sure as hell Sherry comes over and whips out a pic of their box..it looked great and as it turns out it won 1st place.

Rub
12-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I can tell you this..as Darren was giving his demo Jamie Geer was standing right next to me when Darren explained he made use of all parts Jamie says.."next question can we see the box?"..sure as hell Sherry comes over and whips out a pic of their box..it looked great and as it turns out it won 1st place.
It was great to see you guys Matt and be neighbors. And a big thanks to Mo for the CA license plate, it will go great on my rig.
Man I thought about the chicken for weeks leading up to the contest. I thought I had a great solution figured out but in the end it looks like I zigged when I should have zagged lol. It was a cool challenge though!

djqualls
12-10-2013, 11:10 PM
There is a first me reading a chart....pretending to be a musician!

I was thinking "He's Sight Reading!"

Every time I try to sight read, Simple Man starts sounding like Freebird.

Love the Albert! BTW, were you wearing your Nashville press on nails?

This post was a bonafide hijack:clap2:

Podge
12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Seemed interesting what big brother smoke did, so I'm going to do the same.. here's the teams my stuff landed on with:

Chicken: simply marvelous, Gilly's, Smoke on Wheels, Pig Skin, Quau
Ribs: hog tide, Lucky's, Little Pig Town, Swamp boys, Wine Country,
Pork: Sweet swine of mine, 3 eyz, Big T'z, SOW, Little Pig town,
Brisket: Sweet swine of mine, Big T'z, Quau, 3 Eyz, Jamie Geer.

All on different tables..

musicmanryann
12-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Seemed interesting what big brother smoke did, so I'm going to do the same.. here's the teams my stuff landed on with:

Chicken: simply marvelous, Gilly's, Smoke on Wheels, Pig Skin, Quau
Ribs: hog tide, Lucky's, Little Pig Town, Swamp boys, Wine Country,
Pork: Sweet swine of mine, 3 eyz, Big T'z, SOW, Little Pig town,
Brisket: Sweet swine of mine, Big T'z, Quau, 3 Eyz, Jamie Geer.

All on different tables..

Haven't looked at the scoresheet that closely yet, but figured you were one of the two that beat us at the table even though we were 5th. :redface: Huge congrats on the great weekend!

JD McGee
12-11-2013, 07:54 PM
I looked at ours while talking with Steph this afternoon...we were on the same table with Rub (Swamp Boys) and Lucky's Q for all four meats...lol! We do not have a set time to turn in our meats...nor do we watch to see who is in front or behind...it gets turned in when the box is ready. :cool:

Here's how ours hit...kinda interesting...

Chicken...Tippy Canoe, Lucky's Q, Pellet Envy, Apple City, Swamp Boys

Ribs...Hog Tide, Lucky's Q, Little Pig Town, Moonswiners, Swamp Boys

Pork...Swamp Boys, Slap yo Daddy, Grills Gone Wild Iowa, Apple City, Lucky's Q

Brisket...Swamp Boys, Lucky's Q, Grills Gone Wild Iowa, Slap Yo Daddy, Little Pig Town

Rub
12-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Same with us JD, the box goes in when it's ready. For tables we had a few repeats, 4 different tables, and all quality. Good stuff.

Balls Casten
12-12-2013, 07:44 AM
The factorial of 4 (tables) is 24.
So ideally with disregard to turn-in timing. Each team will pair up twice.

Balls Casten
12-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Actually the 24 teams works well. How about teams turn in each meat at a different time. 6 teams are turning in chicken, 6 turning in ribs, etc, etc. Then each category could be judged by the same judges at the same table. :-)

big brother smoke
12-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Too early for me to wrap my brain around that, Doug, lol!

Icekub
12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/1650_4.jpg

"I don't know where I am . . . I can't breath" :becky:

didisea
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Since the new KCBS Score system has opened up the visibility into who is on which table, in smaller contests like 20-30 teams, I think the judges should use a table assignment method like Doug created above, so that the teams are evenly distributed amongst the tables. Also, I think that the judges should judge each box assigned to their table as it comes in, rather than filling up the placemat full of entries before they start. By judging each box completely and individually one at a time, it helps each entry get the scoring it deserves, and helps diminish the possibility of comparing entries. The judges could begin judging as soon as the first entry assigned to their table shows up. This method also makes the distribution of boxes by the judges more straightforward and less confusing about which boxes have been on which tables.