PDA

View Full Version : Porch length on Comp Trailers

sdbbq1234
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Ok, so, we are seriously looking at Competition Trailers. One of my problems in trying to make a decent decision, is the availability of units that are out there being used today and being able to look at them; new or used. There are not a whole lot of trailers to go and take a look at here in Northern VA.

So, one of my concerns is the length of a porch. When looking online, I see mostly 6' porches. To me, that seems like a lot of real estate, but then, what do I know.

Can you guys chime in here as to what you have for a porch length and if you like it or not?

Our current plan would be to have 2 BWS units on it; not permanently installed.

Again, I really don't want to get a trailer that has a bunch of real estate used for nothing.

ANY and ALL comments, suggestions, questions as to "what the hell is this guy thinking" are welcome. :shocked:

Thanks.

wallace

Ackman
12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I too am going through that process - my initial thinking was 4 ft, as I am working with a BWS and a Humphries battle box (similar size) so would be curious what comes back on your inquiry.

NRA4Life
12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
The porch on mine is 8 ft. But I have a huge stickburner mounted on it and anything less would not be enough. You need room for the door to open and any tables or carts you might have out there while cooking along with your smokers.

Rookie'48
12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
If you plan on EVER having more than one person on the porch at a time you'd better make sure that there's going to be enough room. A couple of smokers, some bags of charcoal, one (or more) BBQ sized cooks - all that can eat up that real estate real fast. And then again, you just might decide to change cookers at some point.

BurninTree BBQ
12-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I am in the same boat. I was thinking a 4' porch but now maybe thinking 6'

vexter1
12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
The porch on mine is 7' L x 8' W - with 2 CTO's mounted on it - there is 'JUST' enough room to open the door to get into the main kitchen area with the CTO's doors open (the front folds down on the CTO like a mini work table..) - but it works well. I would have like about another foot - but 7' has worked - it can be tight with 2 people and 2 CTO's - but when you suck in the ol' BBQ gut, it works..lol. I gave the extra 1 foot I wanted there to the living quarters and am happy I did so - I spend more time there than in front of the pits.

Timmy Mac
12-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I went with 8ft porch. All depends on how big your smokers.

sdbbq1234
12-04-2013, 07:58 PM
MANKIND! It didn't take long for me to rethink my idea of a 4' porch is enough! I guess it is just the pictures on the web sites make it look like 6' was HUGE! But, I never even considered the door opening distance, charcoal, and just basic maneuverability space! Very good replies!

Sure helps as I would hate to purchase a unit then say, "Hey, I can't even scratch my butt out here"!

Please, keep the info coming!

Thanks!

wallace

Rich Parker
12-04-2013, 08:04 PM
My porch is 10' and it is perfect for a couple of guys and a couple of drums with a table. Perfect size for me.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
12-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Go with 6' minimum. That's what we've got and we have a BWS onboard, room for another and we still have comfortable space to move in and out without bumping into each other. Where are you looking to get yours from?

SOB
12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Tape it off in your driveway with the smokers and what ever else you will have on the porch, see what size works best. Use different color tape to lay out the sizes.

Kit R
12-04-2013, 09:47 PM
MANKIND! It didn't take long for me to rethink my idea of a 4' porch is enough! I guess it is just the pictures on the web sites make it look like 6' was HUGE! But, I never even considered the door opening distance, charcoal, and just basic maneuverability space! Very good replies!

Sure helps as I would hate to purchase a unit then say, "Hey, I can't even scratch my butt out here"!

Thanks!

wallace

Don you've seen mine. It's 8'. I would not go lower than that with your smoker setup. You're welcome to come out and look at my trailer again anytime.

sdbbq1234
12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Don you've seen mine. It's 8'. I would not go lower than that with your smoker setup. You're welcome to come out and look at my trailer again anytime.

Kit,
Thanks for the offer and I might just take you up on it. For all the trailers I have seen including yours, I just cannot get a decent visual or physical idea sitting here at home. And if you asked me how long I thought yours was, I would not have guessed 8'. Cool.

Go with 6' minimum. That's what we've got and we have a BWS onboard, room for another and we still have comfortable space to move in and out without bumping into each other. Where are you looking to get yours from?

Right now, we are looking at Freedom Trailers, but, I am not sure about their warranty work and if we do have a problem, where I would take it to get repaired. Freedom Trailers are made in Georgia and I really don't think if I had any big problems that I could haul it back down there.

Thanks.

wallace

Teamfour
12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Kit,
Thanks for the offer and I might just take you up on it. For all the trailers I have seen including yours, I just cannot get a decent visual or physical idea sitting here at home. And if you asked me how long I thought yours was, I would not have guessed 8'. Cool.

wallace

Don, I have been on Kit's porch a few times and I would not go any shorter than 8'.

Kit R
12-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Kit,

Right now, we are looking at Freedom Trailers, but, I am not sure about their warranty work and if we do have a problem, where I would take it to get repaired. Freedom Trailers are made in Georgia and I really don't think if I had any big problems that I could haul it back down there.

Thanks.

wallace

Don talk to Scott Smith. I'm sure he can definitively answer your questions and help you make the right decision for your needs and pwace of mind.

Jabber
12-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Just ordered a 32 ft with a 10 ft porch and I have a Stump Stretch and will have a stainless steel table on one side and a three burner stove on the other with steps on each side and I still think it will be tight there are a lot of things to think about before ordering a trailer.I ordered a Freedom because they will build what you want.

FlavorSavor
12-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Wallace,
Here is what I've found. I have a Backwoods Pro Jr. on my trailer. I have a 20' v-nose with an 8' porch. As you know, the BW's smokers are heavy. The concern is having all that weight behind the axle(s) on the trailer. With an 8' porch you're able to get the smokers just a little closer to the axles, if not over top of them, when transporting. This helps with tongue weight and allows the trailer to tow a little better down the highway. I can really tell a difference when my smoker is strapped down near the tailgate of the trailer vs a little more forward. If the smoker is strapped down near the tailgate I get a lunging effect when towing due to not enough tongue weight, despite carrying 36 gallons of water and a generator as far forward as I can.

With that said, I could not imagine having less than 8 feet of room back there. It's just enough room for the pit, a cooler, and a box of charcoal and wood and having a foot path between it all.

sdbbq1234
12-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Wallace,
Here is what I've found. I have a Backwoods Pro Jr. on my trailer. I have a 20' v-nose with an 8' porch. As you know, the BW's smokers are heavy. The concern is having all that weight behind the axle(s) on the trailer. With an 8' porch you're able to get the smokers just a little closer to the axles, if not over top of them, when transporting. This helps with tongue weight and allows the trailer to tow a little better down the highway. I can really tell a difference when my smoker is strapped down near the tailgate of the trailer vs a little more forward. If the smoker is strapped down near the tailgate I get a lunging effect when towing due to not enough tongue weight, despite carrying 36 gallons of water and a generator as far forward as I can.

With that said, I could not imagine having less than 8 feet of room back there. It's just enough room for the pit, a cooler, and a box of charcoal and wood and having a foot path between it all.

Very good info about the smokers and where they will be during travel time. That is another item to consider.

Heck at this rate, I'll end up buying a 50' trailer!! :wink:

Thanks.

wallace

Kit R
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Very good info about the smokers and where they will be during travel time. That is another item to consider.

Heck at this rate, I'll end up buying a 50' trailer!! :wink:

Thanks.

wallace

Don as a data point I have a Fatboy and Extended Party on my 22' Freedom with 8' porch. Permanently mounted. Handles just fine. Axles are further aft than on my toy hauler.

sdbbq1234
12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Don as a data point I have a Fatboy and Extended Party on my 22' Freedom with 8' porch. Permanently mounted. Handles just fine. Axles are further aft than on my toy hauler.

Your trailer is 22' ?!?! What? I have seen that thing, and been inside, but I would never has guessed 22'!

Just for my education, is that 22' end-to-end, or from the front of the V-nose to the end?

Thanks again..

wallace

Ford
12-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks!

wallace
Take some of that blue painters tape and mark out the porch on the driveway then add tape for door opening. You can actually put the smokers in place. Now try doing normal cooking things without hitting tape. Can do the same for the interior.