PDA

View Full Version : Other BBQ Associations - ToY Question

Slamdunkpro
12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
MABA is looking at possibly revamping our 2014 ToY rules to correct some weighting issues in the scoring. If you are in another Association how does your association calculate ToY? How many contests? Etc?

The_Kapn
12-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Here is the FBA Program.
-----------------------
2013 Team of the Year Rules

You must cook all 4 categories at a contest to receive any points. A DQ in a category does not disqualify you from points in the other categories.
1 point for showing up and cooking all 4 categories at the contest.
10 points for 1st place in a category, 9 points for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 10th place.
10 points for Grand Champion, 9 points for Reserve, 8 points for 3rd overall, and so on down to 1 point for 10th place overall in addition to the category points.
No substitute cook teams will be able to participate in the absence of any cook team for the purpose of accumulation of TOTY points.
The participation of regular cook team members without the head cook will be subject to review and interpretation by the FBA Board of Directors to determine if TOTY points will be awarded.
TOTY points and points for other FBA programs will only be awarded to teams where the head cook is a member of the FBA.
The total points at the end of the year will determine the Team of the Year.
Only a tie for first place (Team of the Year) will be determined by the total accumulated scores from each contest the teams have cooked; all other places allow for a tie.
The FBA Funcook points do not count toward TOTY.

------------------------------------------------------

Works well, IMHO.

Your can poke around on the FBA website to see results.

TIM

deez butts
12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I think NEBS does it as a percentile.
Score is = ((Total Entries - Ranking +1)/(Total Entries)) *100

They then use your top 5 scores. So if you did 20 comps or 5 comps you can still have a chance to win TOY.

cpw
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Here's how SCBA does it, but they only count 1 meat (pork).

"If the winning score is, say, 15.3 for the first place winner in an event than that will be the score used in determining the final total score

the number of scores counted in the total will number only twelve (12)

Under this new system if a team cooks in fifteen events then only 12 scores will be counted and the bottom three scores will be dropped in figuring the teamís total score at the end of the year. If a team cooks in, say, 20 events then the bottom 8 scores will be dropped.

Likewise if a team cooks in only 10 events rather than 12 they probably would not receive enough points to have a real chance of winning the state championship"

CivilWarBBQ
12-03-2013, 04:45 PM
The Georgia BBQ Championship uses the points from a team's top 5 finishes in a qualifying contest during the calendar year. Straight KCBS certified scores, no weighting or adjustment for number of teams cooking at a contest.

Rich Parker
12-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I know we have had a lot of discussion in GLBBQA about how to get more teams involved in the ToY race by making it fair for both the teams that only do a couple to the teams that do a lot.

Has anyone tried a rated system where the team gets a percentage of points based on how many events they cook? Something like a best of 5 events but the team that wins a category 5 times in 10 comps is rated higher than the team that took 20 events to get 5 wins in that category.

BogsBBQ
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
This is the system NEBS used in 2012/2013. This is the Empire State Barbecue Championship scoring system, but I believe ES used 4 scores rather than 5.

http://nebs.org/sites/default/files/NEBS%20TOY%20FAQ%202013%20Final.pdf

Slamdunkpro
12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I know we have had a lot of discussion in GLBBQA about how to get more teams involved in the ToY race by making it fair for both the teams that only do a couple to the teams that do a lot.

Has anyone tried a rated system where the team gets a percentage of points based on how many events they cook? Something like a best of 5 events but the team that wins a category 5 times in 10 comps is rated higher than the team that took 20 events to get 5 wins in that category.
This is an issue for us as well - how do you balance it for the 20+ comp teams and the sub 5 comp teams. We currently only take the top 5 finishes and larger comps are weighted heavier than smaller events.

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-04-2013, 07:43 AM
You dont need to change the rules, we're gonna take it easy next year..........

mcbrew13
12-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Check out Rocky Mountain BBQ Association. We have two divisions (six or more comps divides). Weighted for number of teams. I think it is an awesome format. I only do about five a year. It keeps me interested seeing where I stack up against teams that don't compete 15+ times. This year we added prize money also.....:clap2:

Scoring:
http://rmbbqa.org/docs/Misc/RMBBQA%20Cup%20Calculation%20Method.pdf (http://rmbbqa.org/docs/Misc/RMBBQA%20Cup%20Calculation%20Method.pdf)

Other Info:
http://rmbbqa.org/whatwedo.php

Slamdunkpro
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
You dont need to change the rules, we're gonna take it easy next year..........

As much of an ego crush as I know this is going to be - this has nothing to do with you guys.:boxing:

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
As much of an ego crush as I know this is going to be - this has nothing to do with you guys.:boxing:

No ego crush at all..............all kidding aside, just want what's best for the association

JD McGee
12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Best 5 competitions for PNWBA...

Point Calculations:
For each Event:
6 points awarded for Grand Champion
5 points awarded for Reserve Grand Champion

Category Points
6 points awarded for 1st place in each meat category
5 points awarded for 2nd place in each meat category
4 points awarded for 3rd place in each meat category
3 points awarded for 4th place in each meat category
2 points awarded for 5th place in each meat category
1 points awarded for 6th place in each meat category

Event bonus points:
< 25 teams: 0 points
>= 25 tams: 1 bonus point
>= 45 teams: 2 bonus points
>= 65 teams: 3 bonus points
Bonus points apply to each award.

GC: 6 points + bonus point(s)
Category win: n points + bonus points

olewarthog
12-04-2013, 02:14 PM
The GBA TOTY system:

2 participation points for each category cooked at a contest
In each category: 10 points for 1st, 9 points for 2nd, etc
5 bonus points for Grand Champion. 5 bonus points for Reserve Grand
Points earned in the GBA State Championship event are doubled.

The "season" begins with the GBA State Championship in September each year.

CBQ
12-04-2013, 08:56 PM
This is the system NEBS used in 2012/2013. This is the Empire State Barbecue Championship scoring system, but I believe ES used 4 scores rather than 5.

http://nebs.org/sites/default/files/NEBS%20TOY%20FAQ%202013%20Final.pdf

The advantage of the Empire State/NEBS system is that it adjusts for the size of the contest.

In the PDF example ZBQ finished 15 out of 20 (omg! Was this a Rhode Island contest? :becky:) and we got 30 points, but if we had finished 15th in a contest with 100 teams, we would get 86 points using the same formula. Since the points are based on how many teams you beat, and not your score, differences between high/low scoring contests and large/small contests are neutralized. (Important in crazy scoring NEBSland)

As long as you cook 5 contests, you have a shot - so it evens the playing field between teams that cook 6 contests and those that cook 20.

One problem with this system is you can pick up lots of points by winning very small contests, but in practice the backyard teams don't normally cook 5 or more. Generally it's a pretty fair system.

markG
12-05-2013, 04:17 AM
Mike,

Has any thought gone into breaking MABA TOY into two different "divisions"? Say a 7 or less competition division vs. 8 or more competitions and you can only qualify for one division for the sake of TOY. Keep the points system the same as it is now in MABA for both divisions. As soon as you compete in your 8th sanctioned competition for the year, you become a Division I player sort of thing.

I believe that MABA should encourage more participation in contests. Changing the rules to level the playing field between "full timers" and those that participate in fewer contests may have the effect of having those full-timers participating in fewer contests.

I know that some teams cannot compete more for numerous reasons and a 2 division format would address that. If the rules are changed for all teams across the board to just a straight 5 contests with no weighting for larger contests or my proposed division idea, a team could perhaps "cherry pick" 5 or 6 smaller contests, get good finishes and sit on the points for TOY.

I would be happy to serve on a MABA committee to help out with this if you need it.

Slamdunkpro
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Mike,

Has any thought gone into breaking MABA TOY into two different "divisions"? Say a 7 or less competition division vs. 8 or more competitions and you can only qualify for one division for the sake of TOY. Keep the points system the same as it is now in MABA for both divisions. As soon as you compete in your 8th sanctioned competition for the year, you become a Division I player sort of thing.

I believe that MABA should encourage more participation in contests. Changing the rules to level the playing field between "full timers" and those that participate in fewer contests may have the effect of having those full-timers participating in fewer contests.

I know that some teams cannot compete more for numerous reasons and a 2 division format would address that. If the rules are changed for all teams across the board to just a straight 5 contests with no weighting for larger contests or my proposed division idea, a team could perhaps "cherry pick" 5 or 6 smaller contests, get good finishes and sit on the points for TOY.

I would be happy to serve on a MABA committee to help out with this if you need it.

Not sure there is any need for that in MABA - the average number of contests cooked in 2013 by MABA teams was 5, we track the best 5 finishes.

Rich Parker
12-20-2013, 11:03 AM
This is an issue for us as well - how do you balance it for the 20+ comp teams and the sub 5 comp teams. We currently only take the top 5 finishes and larger comps are weighted heavier than smaller events.

What if we used a percentage that decreases over the number events you compete in or lets say we decrease the points for an event for example each event the factor increases. e.g. 1, .2, .5

*lets use KCBS TOY scoring of a 50+ team comp for example with a factor of .2

1st comp of the year for the team and they win GC so they receive (300 - '0') = 300 pts.
5th comp of the year for the team and they win GC so they receive (300 - '.8') = 299.2pts.
10th comp of the year for the team and they win GC so they receive (300 - '1.8') = 298.2pts.
25th comp of the year for the team and they win GC so they receive (300 - '2.4') = 297.6pts.
35th comp of the year for the team and they win GC so they receive (300 - '3.4') = 296.6pts.

This would definitely give more value to a team that does well in fewer events or comes out of the gate faster in the beginning of the year. The decreasing would factor would have to be adjusted to fit the other rules of the program such as points earned and number of events that count towards the teams total.

Comments?