PDA

View Full Version : Team Friendly Events - Media

motoeric
12-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I need to know what 3 events that are of reasonable size (50 teams or more) you believe are the most friendly to teams.

'Friendly' can be however you define it. Best amenities, most effective communication, most hands-on organizers, etc.

This is for an upcoming article in Smoke Signals.

Thank you!

Eric

OldStyle
12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Wheels N Squeals in Olathe ,Ks first weekend in Aug. Probably one of the best run contest in this area and the volunteers are great

INmitch
12-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Madison IN sticks out to me. Ken and crew do a heck of a job. One of our favorites.:thumb:

CivilWarBBQ
12-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Kind of mystified by the use of the word "reasonable" there, but I'd put Sevierville, TN in the bucket.

It's one of those events where the entire community welcomes you when you are a participant, be it judge, cook or vendor.

Icekub
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Ohio Veterans BBQ in Kettering, OH in July. What makes it great? No designated spots (20X30, etc.), park next to your spot, excellent breakfast for Saturday morning eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits & sausage gravy, pancakes. Cook sites are under a relatively dense tree cover making it more comfortable for a July comp.

Icekub
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Madison IN sticks out to me. Ken and crew do a heck of a job. One of our favorites.:thumb:

This was my first year going to Madison as a friend/helper of a team competing and I will agree! It's the most scenic competition site beautiful spot on the Ohio River. :thumb:

Fat Freddy
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Mason City Iowa, Up in Smoke BBQ Bash......65 or so teams and at a great location, The local newspaper is the organizers and Ruth Miller is the main one. In the goodie bags there is a newspaper with info on all teams that submitted. Then a newspaper the next day and then they send you one after you get home. The goodie bags are decent and Ruth makes brownies and other snack type stuff and brings around to the teams. Saturday morning they come around several times with coffee and donuts. This year in the evening they came around to all the teams and handed out 2 cups with the contest logo on it but INSIDE the cups was a little bottle of Jack in one and Honey Jack in the other.

Another thing I really like about this contest is Ruth sends out a thank you email, then send a thank you letter. Halloween I also got an email wishing us a happy Halloween and at Christmas the contest sends out Christmas cards to competitors.

musicmanryann
12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I second Mason City, Iowa. Easily the most cook-friendly contest of the many I have been to.

Kave Dweller
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Kenosha Wisconsin is our favorite.

dmprantz
12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Of all the "large" competitions that I did, the National BBQ Cup in Cummings, GA probably had the best overall team experience to me. It was cold, but they had real bathrooms and I think that they were heated. Turn-ins were fairly centralized, the payouts were good, both in amount and depth. They had cool trophies custom made on site, nice gift baskets, and just an overall good team experience. There was also a good amount of public and press attendance. I only competed the first year, so years 2-3 may have been different.

dmp

BKBBQ
12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Smokin on the suwanee live oak fl and of course the festival of discovery greenwood sc.

Podge
12-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Springfield, Ky.. Jim Beam classic.. just 42 teams, but damn, do those organizers really love having the contest!!

Pappy Q
12-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Springfield, Ky.. Jim Beam classic.. just 42 teams, but damn, do those organizers really love having the contest!!

Absolutely on this one!

Scottie
12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Lake Placid, NY, Hammond, LA and Greenwood, SC

BMerrill
12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
If you could narrow it down to a region and a time of year would help.

For Contest in North Carolina, Tryon, Salisbury, Lexington, Rocky Mt. are all top notch and above 50 teams. Just below 50 teams is Apex, NC. Apex was the first and only contest which has a working sink and power panel at every cook site that I have been to, up scale portable restrooms (AC trailers), feed you 2 meals, and some one came by every few hours checking to see if you had any issues or needed something like ice, and a good prize pool too.

A second for Greenwood, SC

motoeric
12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
If you could narrow it down to a region and a time of year would help.

For Contest in North Carolina, Tryon, Salisbury, Lexington, Rocky Mt. are all top notch and above 50 teams. Just below 50 teams is Apex, NC. Apex was the first and only contest which has a working sink and power panel at every cook site that I have been to, up scale portable restrooms (AC trailers), feed you 2 meals, and some one came by every few hours checking to see if you had any issues or needed something like ice, and a good prize pool too.

A second for Greenwood, SC

This is for an article in a special edition of Smoke Signals that will be highlighting what we consider to the best of a bunch of things, including contests, so I can't limit it to geography or time of year. I just need opinions on what the friendliest events are for teams. Any size as long as it has a minimum of 50 teams, anywhere, any time of the year.

Thanks,

Eric

tugbone
12-04-2013, 01:21 PM
roc city rib fest

ViciousGame
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Dana Point BBQ Championship in Dana Point, CA. It's an Arlie Bragg event, so it's run well. 100 teams, beautiful locale at Sea Terrace Park (across Pacific Coast Highway from the Ritz Carlton), whale watching tour, team dinner, team & judge breakfast, and excellent prize pool ($30K).

The only thing going against it, is that it is the same weekend as the The Royal...but not everyone is making The Royal.

BogsBBQ
12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
roc city rib fest

I'll second this.

Fishin4bass723
12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Kenosha Wisconsin is our favorite.

I second this one.

Stark-O-Rama
12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Dana Point BBQ Championship in Dana Point, CA. It's an Arlie Bragg event, so it's run well. 100 teams, beautiful locale at Sea Terrace Park (across Pacific Coast Highway from the Ritz Carlton), whale watching tour, team dinner, team & judge breakfast, and excellent prize pool ($30K).

The only thing going against it, is that it is the same weekend as the The Royal...but not everyone is making The Royal.

I second this....

jcog44
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Biker Blues and BBQ in Salisbury, NC at Tilley Harley Davidson is great ! Run by a full time events coordinator for the dealership. They really look after everybody, free ice, hot breakfast for the teams, dinner for the judges Friday night, etc.

Best communication that I have seen. Advisories go out introducing each team and vendor as they sign up.

Fast response to emails.

Great competition.

Rub'n Wood BBQ
12-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Shawnee great grillers in Shawnee, ks. 100 plus team, warm up for the American royal that is the next weekend.

J&B'sBBQ
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Festival of Discovery was one of our favorites and had a fantastic set up for the teams. We also loved the National BBQ Cup in Cumming, GA this year. This was our first year, but these were our two favorite.

BobWaltersBBQ
12-07-2013, 06:43 AM
I might be biased, and the event is new (this was the first year) but I would say The Parkinson's Smoke Out in Evansville, Indiana is a team friendly event. Also, full disclosure, I'm the organizer....but I had to share my thoughts. :wink:

HarleyGirl14226
12-07-2013, 12:29 PM
roc city rib fest

Third vote for this one.

Pizza and beer the first night, garbage plates for dinner on night two, mimosas with cook's breakfast... Organizers are also competitors, so they know what the teams want. Amazing venue (shores of Lake Ontario). Honestly, too much to list.

Slamdunkpro
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM
It was a first year event but Hogs & Hops in Harrington DE stands out in my mind.

rolfejr
12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
It was a first year event but Hogs & Hops in Harrington DE stands out in my mind.

+ one on this, they really did a great job for an inaugural event.

Theresa B
12-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't have many comps under my belt as a cook, but I can't say enough good things about the Rocky Mount NC comp. Dinner on Fri provided by the Doubletree Hotel, Breakfast from Hardee's, the location is a former YMCA so there are modern restrooms and shower facilities. As we were packing up on Sat they came around to every team and gave us a full size cheesecake from The Cheesecake factory. The cook spots were very generous, free ice and the organizers were very approachable and checked on us often.

markG
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
+ one on this, they really did a great job for an inaugural event.

+1 more on Hogs and Hops, Harrington! Great location, big spaces, water, electric, nice goodies and a crew that puts the teams first.

CBQ
12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
+1 for Roc City Rib Fest, well run, lots of team amenities, great venue, and the organizers don't seem to mind if you send 'em to the hospital on occasion :becky:

Can't overlook the big money events either, the Sam's Club series and the Smoke on the Water productions are pretty well put together. No team breakfasts, and you cook in a parking lot for both, but generally well run and big payouts.

BaggerBill
12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
New Holland in New Holland, PA was really good in my opinion.

FatCoyote
12-08-2013, 05:19 PM
All of 'em in Texas :)

Red Valley BBQ
12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Roc City Ribfest

Buckshot Malone
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Riverfest in Decatur. 80+ teams and a well managed event. One of my favorites.

JH

fat heads bbq
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
+1 for Apex, NC and Rocky Mount, NC