PDA

View Full Version : Tips

bjgamez
11-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Can we start a thread on tips for using Humphrey's smokers...oh wait I guess I kinda just did...haha. I was having trouble keeping temps down since I wasn't used to using a smoker this good, but I'm getting it. Still experimenting on using the water pan. Any advice on when to put water in and take it out?

Does everyone put fat side down for brisket? Just wondering if I should experiment with fat side up since the smoke/heat comes from the top. Any thoughts?

Any other advice on proper use of these smokers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Untraceable
11-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Insulated verticals need to be caught on the way up in temp. start ramping things down 50 degrees from your target. Are you running a guru?

I think most problems with 1st time insulated vert owners is expecting them to heat as quick as a wsm or other. they are their own beast in how they operate. Just the nature of insulated reverse flow verticals.

Running naturally, I wont touch the exhaust vent until the wheels are closed and the valve is nearing 50%, then Ill start choking off the exhaust.

Guru'd Ill drop the exhaust down to 40% when I hit close to temps. Guru recommends that the ideal situation is the guru to be running 30% to maintain temps. that way it has the ability to bring a temp down or up. If your running at your temp and your guru is at 10% or less, it doesn't have the ability to choke anything off. It takes very little O2 and fire to keep these at temp once they are warmed up and chugging along. I joke with some people that in 100 degree weather, a bic lighter in the firebox will hold it at 250.

as far as briskets, I haven't got very many cooks yet, but I still run fat down to allow that bark to set up perfectly. Its really amazing watching a brisket cook in one of these. the heat is so even. no burnt edges or anything. When I foil, Ill go meat down in the foil. So id a way, the heat is coming from the top but its sooooo even that its not like you need the fat cap to protect against flair ups or 400 degree edges outside of a deflector plate.

This was over 7hr untouched in my cube and about to get foiled
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b616/supertraining/null_zps59e1f99b.jpg

using a WSM, each corner would be black and burnt by this time.

Smokinit should have some good brisket-Humphreys advice.

smokinit
11-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Hey bud I am off all week give me a ring

Smokin Hoggz
11-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Ok, So I have a battle box, I have about 10 cooks on it so far. I also use a guru, and I keep the wheel on the fire box completely closed. What I have found for the exhaust is, I keep it fully open until I get to about 75 degrees to my desired cooking temp then I close the exhaust until it's about a 1/2" open. With this set up I am able to get a 10-12 hour cook with one load of coal!!! For the water pan, I use it with water everytime, I fill it until it's about 1" to the top.

scm1226
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
This is great stuff!! Keep it coming. Still need mine to practice on but love the advice.

Dex
11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Ours will be here hopefully within the next few weeks. Will give my input at that time.

I am starting to have withdraws from not smoking :wacko: